• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you get your flush toe plates fitted? If not send them to us, we know exactly what they are! You can find us at www.shoehealer.co.uk or give us a ring on 01302 329965.
No, I opted for rubber protectors from Blakey. They aren’t perfect, but they will do for now. I’ll see you when I need a resole. I tried contacting you through your website, enquiring about this very issue. Either the message didn’t get through or it got lost in the Spam folder. Oh well. Hope all is well.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind making the natural barbour welt on my Bourton’s shown on page 999 darker. I’m assuming these can just be stained a darker brown?

Oh and @The Shoe Healer resoled those Bourton’s from original blue to a caramel sole and removed the white pull tabs. Great work, highly recommended.

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
Grassmere arrived back today from Trickers , commando sole replaced with double leather . Sole replacement job is great and boots given a general refurb . Definitely feel lighter too, which was one of the reasons for the change .
Before and after pics .
32619044-1F60-4C21-ADFE-76221BC5C5C5.jpeg
1A7C55A0-A449-4C9C-83CC-A385401CF235.jpeg
5DD59FB0-6D10-42D5-B03F-6A981D863F07.jpeg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grassmere arrived back today from Trickers , commando sole replaced with double leather . Sole replacement job is great and boots given a general refurb . Definitely feel lighter too, which was one of the reasons for the change .
Before and after pics . View attachment 1237852 View attachment 1237853 View attachment 1237854

Really nice boots! Love how the red comes through in higher wear areas.

Are the Ilkley’s exactly the same leather or is there variation due to different production dates?

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
My Ilkey’s have a different colour and texture to the Grassmere . The Grassmere seemed to have been given a “ going over ” with a dark brown cream too . . The zug looks suspiciously like that used for the Andersons of Durham m.t.o , ie , advertised as oxblood and brown zug on Trickers Instagram page .

Possibly the Ilkley models , with leather sole , on sale via the Outlet were from the same batch of leather ? I’m guessing this purely based on the fact that both were marketed around the same time . I would need to see a pair of current production “ catalogue “ Ilkley to prove this .

Last edited:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Ilkey’s have a different colour and texture to the Grassmere . The Grassmere seemed to have been given a “ going over ” with a dark brown cream too . . The zug looks suspiciously like that used for the Andersons of Durham m.t.o , ie , advertised as oxblood and brown zug on Trickers Instagram page .

Possibly the Ilkley models , with leather sole , on sale via the Outlet were from the same batch of leather ? I’m guessing this purely based on the fact that both were marketed around the same time . I would need to see a pair of current production “ catalogue “ Ilkley to prove this .

Hard to tell from photos but I would say my Ilkley’s were darker brown than your Grassmere. Leather on your Grassmere’s looks nicer to me.

Metrosey

Reaction score
Trickers Cuba Waxy MTO - There’s no update but I’m just posting to let new people know that it took place and will be ready for delivery at the end of October. If you would like a pair, Richard will get stock of four sizes. Please contact me for more information.

Metrosey

Reaction score
Zippy, do you still have this shoe? How’s it looking now?

Attachments

• A212687B-49FE-44D7-948F-C3A75E6F9243.png
    A212687B-49FE-44D7-948F-C3A75E6F9243.png
    769.6 KB · Views: 76

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
Hard to tell from photos but I would say my Ilkley’s were darker brown than your Grassmere. Leather on your Grassmere’s looks nicer to me.

The Grassmere are dark . First pic above is before the Trickers resole and the second and third afterwards . Lighting in the last two pics isn’t great but they are darker after a coating of dark cream / polish at the factory . Boots with Tony for cover sole now , will post on return next week .

Whilst I was briefly in his shop , the sales manager from Belfast’s largest locally owned shoe retailer wa . Collecting customer repairs . We all got chatting and he has been trying to get Trickers on board , continually being asked by customers for their footwear . He didn’t expand as to why they haven’t been successful , there could be many possibilities to this . They do retail C&J and Church’s a well as Barker / Loake and the business has been around as far back as I can remember ( into 1970s )

Last edited:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loving the colour of these. Top notch. Also, if I recall, Tricker’s add toe taps for an extra £25.

Do you think having an independent cobbler add toe taps would invalidate the shoes from being factory refurbished at a later date? Seems a bit extreme if so.

None of my leather soled shoes have them but the toe edge does seem so wear faster than anywhere else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads