• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Phalanx

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to give Trickers another go because I think the Stow is a beautiful boot. I got a pair of Stow and Burford from TKmaxx for about £150 each (size 13) and had a number of issues. I sold the burford in the end but kept the Stow. They're beautiful, but they gave me a load of issues:

- Burford fit wise was great, but my left big toe hits the end of the toe box in the Stow. I think this is because my Stow's toe box is slightly less volumous. Seems strange because they're the same last.
- Both boots caused me a lot of knee and back pain, probably because:
- For both boots, the footbead seemed really hard! Even compared to Red Wing, Dr Martens or Whites (which I'll soon own). Not sure if this is working as intended.

So I'm wondering if the reason TKMaxx had so many cheap Trickers models last Winter was because they were old rejects or defective models or something like that. If I were to buy a pair of Stows direct from Trickers in size 13, would I have the most fancy, high tech version yet?

Finally, what sort of difference is there in fit between Stow and Malton? They both have the same last (but then again, Stow and Burford have the same last and I found them to fit differently) but apparently Stow is a 5 fitting and Malton is a 6.

Sorry for the annoying post, I just want to be part of the club!

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing pairs of Herman in the defunct (and missed) reTrickers on eBay
ea043e1b759a7cc4213151441124f911dc8628e3.jpg

The pair proposed by reTrickers had the Hoween tag tied to the boots...
Ahhh...ReTrickers - what a great eBay store! Thanks for the reply and valuable insight MSAINT. That could closely match my P & f makeup, for as far as I can gather it was based on the Herman with no pinking on the toe cap. It’s not the same makeup as the ReTrickers pic but very close. I’ve been unable to find any info on the www about the P & f collaboration.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to give Trickers another go because I think the Stow is a beautiful boot. I got a pair of Stow and Burford from TKmaxx for about £150 each (size 13) and had a number of issues. I sold the burford in the end but kept the Stow. They're beautiful, but they gave me a load of issues:

- Burford fit wise was great, but my left big toe hits the end of the toe box in the Stow. I think this is because my Stow's toe box is slightly less volumous. Seems strange because they're the same last.
- Both boots caused me a lot of knee and back pain, probably because:
- For both boots, the footbead seemed really hard! Even compared to Red Wing, Dr Martens or Whites (which I'll soon own). Not sure if this is working as intended.

So I'm wondering if the reason TKMaxx had so many cheap Trickers models last Winter was because they were old rejects or defective models or something like that. If I were to buy a pair of Stows direct from Trickers in size 13, would I have the most fancy, high tech version yet?

Finally, what sort of difference is there in fit between Stow and Malton? They both have the same last (but then again, Stow and Burford have the same last and I found them to fit differently) but apparently Stow is a 5 fitting and Malton is a 6.

Sorry for the annoying post, I just want to be part of the club!

I don't personally think the footbed on a pair direct from Tricker's will be any different. There's nothing high tech about Tricker's and they've been made roughly the same for decades really.

There is a small possibility that the T K Maxx Stows had been made on a different last for a particular shop.

I have found when wearing a new pair that I can experience some aches etc due to the shape of the footbed but I find this subsides after a few good wears and is most noticeable when standing still, less so when walking.

I have experienced the same thing with all goodyear welted shoes though including Red Wing, Crockett & Jones, Loake etc and they all ease off fairly soon and gradually become more comfortable.

I think sole choice plays a part too, I find Commando soles more comfortable than Dainite for example, just seems to have a bit more cushion. Not a lot though!

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard that Alden put a coating on their cordovan which initially makes it darker.

I quite fancy trying cordovan, I like the idea that it is quite resilient, lasts a long time (supposedly), great depth of colour and doesn't really crease.

I have a Horween #8 shell watch strap and have been very impressed with it. No stretch whatsoever, no obvious crease/wear where buckle fastens and just holding up better than any other watch strap I've owned.
You won’t be disappointed. I love the stuff - have boots, shoes, wallets, watch straps and belts made of Cordovan....I think I may have slight obsession.

Phalanx

Reaction score
I don't personally think the footbed on a pair direct from Tricker's will be any different. There's nothing high tech about Tricker's and they've been made roughly the same for decades really.

There is a small possibility that the T K Maxx Stows had been made on a different last for a particular shop.

I have found when wearing a new pair that I can experience some aches etc due to the shape of the footbed but I find this subsides after a few good wears and is most noticeable when standing still, less so when walking.

I have experienced the same thing with all goodyear welted shoes though including Red Wing, Crockett & Jones, Loake etc and they all ease off fairly soon and gradually become more comfortable.

I think sole choice plays a part too, I find Commando soles more comfortable than Dainite for example, just seems to have a bit more cushion. Not a lot though!

Thanks for your reply. I don't think the TKMaxx Stows (or Burfords) for that matter are on a different last; i do think they may be rejects though (I noticed some assymetries which I could post pictures of this evening).

Maybe dainite soles just break me. It's a shame that they aren't doing Stow on commando soles anymore. The Division Road Stow has the exact look I want but I don't think i can be found in the UK easily.

If anyone finds an acorn Stow in the UK in size 13 with a commando sole I'm all ears.

Olderfellow

Reaction score
Burford fit wise was great, but my left big toe hits the end of the toe box in the Stow

Does the Stow's model number begin 'JS' or 'M'? If so they might have been originally destined for the Japanese market and could be a bit smaller than regular. I bought my regular-sized Stows in Acorn from reTricker back in the day and they sent me a pair marked half a size up but which fitted fine. The model number began with an 'M'. I have one pair of Marron Stows from Bureau Belfast that was a b*st*rd to break in and still pinches one of my small toes while another pair I have in Espresso bought new from the Jermyn St shop (they came with a free wallet!) also fitted perfectly. It can be difficult to stretch the Stow sideways because the medallion piece over the top of the toe cap acts as a double brace against this. Still, I have done this successfully. The Burford doesn't have this medallion piece, of course, so is far easier to stretch.

Olderfellow

Reaction score
Finally, what sort of difference is there in fit between Stow and Malton?

If Malton is a '6' fitting then it is a shade wider. I prefer '6' to '5', but the boot won't be any longer

Phalanx

Reaction score
Does the Stow's model number begin 'JS' or 'M'? If so they might have been originally destined for the Japanese market and could be a bit smaller than regular. I bought my regular-sized Stows in Acorn from reTricker back in the day and they sent me a pair marked half a size up but which fitted fine. The model number began with an 'M'. I have one pair of Marron Stows from Bureau Belfast that was a b*st*rd to break in and still pinches one of my small toes while another pair I have in Espresso bought new from the Jermyn St shop (they came with a free wallet!) also fitted perfectly. It can be difficult to stretch the Stow sideways because the medallion piece over the top of the toe cap acts as a double brace against this. Still, I have done this successfully. The Burford doesn't have this medallion piece, of course, so is far easier to stretch.

As far as I can tell, my Stow has neither JS or M.

dfkHMNh.jpg

irM4oqK.jpg

AUW4MRM.jpg

Annoying thing is, the toe profile looks fine here, so I doubt it is too shallow really. Not sure what could cause the variance. Strangely, there probably is a variance though; look at the profile of this Stow:
xngolkd.png

or
HZgYbW1.png

So maybe there is a subtle difference in toe shape, and that subtle difference is enough for me to have some ill-fitting boots. Or maybe I'm looking for differences which aren't there.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the chances of a Japanese market Stow being a size 13 is slim to none. As always, you can peel back the sock liner and view the actual UK size and last. There’s a half size difference between stamped size and written size with Japanese market boots I’ve checked.

MSAINT

Reaction score
What happened to retrickers?

It went back to brick and mortar as it was run buy Tricker's...
Today Tricker's only sells seconds and prototypes (and overruns) on their Factory Store.
They opened their online Outlet (with a price increase of course) but they don't sell seconds.
Same goes with their stock at Glos Quays.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads