• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Freshly conditioned

FD651276-FD48-47B7-8666-BDE025736896.jpeg

MSAINT

Reaction score
Which Saphir product do use to nourish leather?

Creams: The liquid Créme Universelle and the colored creams (Cirage Créme Pommadier Surfine or Cirage Créme Pommadier Médaille d'Or), the colored creams nourish AND dye the leather.
I find the Médaille d'Or Light brown (marron clair) is perfect for Tricker's Acorn.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics don’t shoe it well .. but the stitching is a bit off

View attachment 1176447
Yeah, that’s just Tricker’s country shoes for you. They are made with quality materials but the whole idea is that they are rugged. If you want similar quality leather with better finishing, pick up a pair of Skye or Islay from Crockett & Jones. You will be paying between 50 and 90 quid extra. (Actually, you will be paying a lot more than that because you got the Tricker’s at a discount. You are unlikely to get a similar deal with Crockett.)

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Creams: The liquid Créme Universelle and the colored creams (Cirage Créme Pommadier Surfine or Cirage Créme Pommadier Médaille d'Or), the colored creams nourish AND dye the leather.
I find the Médaille d'Or Light brown (marron clair) is perfect for Tricker's Acorn.

+1 for Créme Universelle. It’s also cheaper.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rénovateur is made to clean the shoes, take out old waxes and cream, it's meant to renovate the leather as the name states in French, not as much as to nourish it.

From what I have read and used personally, I find it to be one of the best leather conditioners around. And most of the people of this community do too.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s just Tricker’s country shoes for you. They are made with quality materials but the whole idea is that they are rugged. If you want similar quality leather with better finishing, pick up a pair of Skye or Islay from Crockett & Jones. You will be paying between 50 and 90 quid extra. (Actually, you will be paying a lot more than that because you got the Tricker’s at a discount. You are unlikely to get a similar deal with Crockett.)

I am a big C&J fan. My next boot will most likely be that. But I do love these trickers

MSAINT

Reaction score
From what I have read and used personally, I find it to be one of the best leather conditioners around. And most of the people of this community do too.

Maybe, it's just not its purpose.
Might be an overkill to use a cleaner/wax remover to condition your new shoes.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live in a place where the temperature is above 40°C in the summers and humidity is about 20-30%.
Hence for me conditioning even a new pair of shoes makes sense. I am sure this is not an issues in colder or more humid climate.

You never know how long these boots have been on shelves. So even for new boots/shoes i like to give them a through conditioning before wearing.

Yes, i agree its a little over kill. but i am a bit particular about such things. Y take the risk of flexing even slightly dried out leather. These are expensive boots and i wanna make sure that last as long as they can. and i wanna do everything to make that happen. besides u really cant cause the leather any harm by using this before wearing.

MSAINT

Reaction score
Conditioning a new pair is a base as it usually needs nourishing, more like hydrating the leather to keep it supple.
I'm not talking of harming the leather, just saying that the Renovateur will remove the original dye in addition to hydrate it. I was pointing that other Saphir products will do so without removing the original manufacturer dye as a new pair needs conditioning not quite deep cleaning.
Nevermind, as long as the Renovateur suits you, it's all that counts. Enjoy your Stow!

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live in a place where the temperature is above 40°C in the summers and humidity is about 20-30%.
Hence for me conditioning even a new pair of shoes makes sense. I am sure this is not an issues in colder or more humid climate.

You never know how long these boots have been on shelves. So even for new boots/shoes i like to give them a through conditioning before wearing.

Yes, i agree its a little over kill. but i am a bit particular about such things. Y take the risk of flexing even slightly dried out leather. These are expensive boots and i wanna make sure that last as long as they can. and i wanna do everything to make that happen. besides u really cant cause the leather any harm by using this before wearing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads