• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Fenners81

Reaction score
Yes, it's a sample item. Looks good on the website, unless there's some kind of hidden defect like you mention.

There are clear imperfections in the suede. Look at the vamp on the right shoe. There are probably more, but it's whether this bothers you or not.

Fenners81

Reaction score
Rocking the Zug Grassmeres at work today. Breaking in nicely.

Attachments

• 20230608_065722.jpg
    20230608_065722.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 165

princealbert

Reaction score
Yes, it's a sample item. Looks good on the website, unless there's some kind of hidden defect like you mention.

Worth bearing in mind that these appear to be the light weight version of the Robert with the flexi sole or whatever Trickers call it. I’m sure some people like this version but I much prefer the original model with a double leather sole.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AVOID - do not buy from the Outlet, the shoes will have cosmetic defects and often structural defects which you will not see until you wear them, simply not worth the risk.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AVOID - do not buy from the Outlet, the shoes will have cosmetic defects and often structural defects which you will not see until you wear them, simply not worth the risk.
Really? I think save for one full price pair all of my Trickers purchases have been from the Outlet and I can't say I have run into any issues thus far. I do tend to do a lot of walking and am not gentle on them when it comes to variable weather usage so I guess user experience varies in this regard.

Fenners81

Reaction score
I think it's important to distinguish between the final clearance section and the samples sale too. The samples are significantly lower in quality albeit only cosmetically.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sample section used to be where you'd find a one off hidden gem but now seems to just be hideous what the hell were they thinking items or damaged seconds.

Now the clearance section has a bunch of flawed items, presumably made by newbs in the factory, selling for same price as non-flawed items. But the flaws are noted.

I've bought many pairs from the outlet and have only encountered one pair with a flaw and that was rather inconsequential being on the tongue and not visible.

Tricker's with some asymmetry in the facing isn't limited to the outlet pairs.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are clear imperfections in the suede. Look at the vamp on the right shoe. There are probably more, but it's whether this bothers you or not.

Maybe it's because I'm used to buying Allen Edmonds shoes, but those look fine to me. AE of course are all over the place in terms of quality control. Now, if there's something structurally wrong, that is important. Just looking at it though, it looks okay to me. Might just try and see since they aren't too expensive.

princealbert

Reaction score
I have also purchased a number of pairs from the outlet and have not encountered any significant issues.
The most recent purchase had some flaws noted but when the shoes arrived the flaws were much less significant than I was expecting, just some minor cosmetic issues.
Basically what @zippyh says above.

Fenners81

Reaction score
Maybe it's because I'm used to buying Allen Edmonds shoes, but those look fine to me. AE of course are all over the place in terms of quality control. Now, if there's something structurally wrong, that is important. Just looking at it though, it looks okay to me. Might just try and see since they aren't too expensive.
If you like them then go for it. Ultimately its your opinion that counts. I personally wouldn't touch the samples with a barge pole but that's just me. If you're willing to shop around on the multiple sites that stock Tricker's, or even ebay, you'll find first quality shoes for a similar price. I personally never buy Tricker's at full price as I don't think they're worth it and I certainly wouldn't pay £208 for a pair of shoes with obvious flaws. However, if they're good value to you, then they're good value, so why not.

Last edited:

lurker33

Reaction score
All my pairs (a grand total of 3 to be fair) from the outlet were basically flawless. I kind of doubt Tricker's would sell something with actual structural defects as seconds ? Any examples?

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my pairs (a grand total of 3 to be fair) from the outlet were basically flawless. I kind of doubt Tricker's would sell something with actual structural defects as seconds ? Any examples?
Yes, the last two pairs I purchased had structural defects which were not mentioned in the description and they were not even described as seconds! When I raised the issue they referred me to their T&Cs stating that basically everything they sell on the Outlet potentially has cosmetic defects and ambiguously construction defects and this is the reason why the shoes are discounted. The contradiction here is on their about page they state the following:

Whether you choose to buy from our Trickers.com site or Trickersoutlet.com, the same exacting standards in craftsmanship, unrivalled attention to detail and the use of only the highest quality materials are used to manufacture our shoes

They later on the page mention: previous season’s collections, as well as samples and seconds.

The first pair I purchased were from the Samples section were structurally so bad they should have gone in the bin. A more recent pair were not purchased in the Samples section so my impression was they'd be first quality past season stock. They did not have any cosmetic defects but the shoes did not match, they had structural defects probably because some newbie had made them. Again, when I complained that they were structurally defective and should have been advertised as seconds I was referred to their T&Cs. Tricker's are being disingenuous with their customers.

Last edited:

Fenners81

Reaction score
Has anyone here bought the Bernwood in hydro nubuck? There are some pairs in black with a natural welt at half price on Mr Porter. I'm considering making another rash purchase but would be interested to know how this leather ages as I had shoes in nubuck before that didn't age well and were hard to restore.

Last edited:

shoefan57

Reaction score
Has anyone here bought the Bernwood in hydro nubuck? There are some pairs in black with a natural welt at half price on Mr Porter. I'm considering making another rash purchase but would be interested to know how this leather ages as I had shoes in nubuck before that didn't age well and were hard to restore.
I have a Bouton in this leather but Whisky colour. It’s too early to say how well it ages but I think it will age better than standard new buck because it’s very resistant to liquids. It’s a lovely soft leather too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads