• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zargoz

Reaction score
Yeah it is weird how perception is everything, yeah? Even though we might be able to objectively say that both makers are par for quality, C&J seems to have the edge in terms of higher priced appeal. Ah well. I think for me its just that I am overbought in a lot of Trickers styles so price rise or not there isn't much more from their range that I want to add to my collection.

IMO quality is on par between the two. At the old, frequently on sale, prices Tricker's were surely one of the best values going. Besides perception, I would put C&J well ahead on variety of models and lasts. That said I love 'em both.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Waxy commander on 4444.
DtRqoEZ9TLa3KYc1g-WAbw.jpg

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
I’ve owned a couple of pairs in C Shade over the years and I would have to say that there was no significant change in colour. In fact I would say it is less likely to change than most other colours.
As I understand, the c-shade tan is actually done on bull leather (which is a flat leather that doesn't give shine, and its a denser/thicker leather). Which is maybe why there's no significant change in its colour over time as you are saying. And this is a different affair to the likes of the Acorn Antique colour that is actually done on calf leather. So we are talking different leather properties when you compare a c-shade tan Bourton to an acorn antique Bourton.

Last edited:

princealbert

Reaction score
As I understand, the c-shade tan is actually done on bull leather (which is a flat leather that doesn't give shine, and its a denser/thicker leather). Which is maybe why there's no significant change in its colour over time as you are saying. And this is a different affair to the likes of the Acorn Antique colour that is actually done on calf leather. So we are talking different leather properties when you compare a c-shade tan Bourton to an acorn antique Bourton.
You are right, the leather is different (at least on styles like Stow and Keswick / Bourton). It is what Tricker’s always used to refer to as gorse leather and it is slightly thicker although not stiffer than the ‘standard’ calf leather. As you say it comes with more of a matt finish and although some owners do try and polish it to a shine I personally think that is a mistake.

Fenners81

Reaction score
You are right, the leather is different (at least on styles like Stow and Keswick / Bourton). It is what Tricker’s always used to refer to as gorse leather and it is slightly thicker although not stiffer than the ‘standard’ calf leather. As you say it comes with more of a matt finish and although some owners do try and polish it to a shine I personally think that is a mistake.
What I don't understand is how the colour changed so much on my Bourtons pictured earlier, but the same leather seems to remain unhanged on the Maltons. I only used neutral cream on them.

princealbert

Reaction score
That is an amazing transformation as they now look more like a burnished coffee colour.

Fenners81

Reaction score
That is an amazing transformation as they now look more like a burnished coffee colour.
I'm starting to think they were never C shade tan in the first place. I'm sure they were but you're right that the transformation is a bit dramatic. They were definitely more orange when I bought them.

princealbert

Reaction score
I'm starting to think they were never C shade tan in the first place. I'm sure they were but you're right that the transformation is a bit dramatic. They were definitely more orange when I bought them.
They look as if they have a natural welt and red dainite soles which I don’t think I have ever seen on C shade Bourtons (although that doesn’t mean it’s not possible).
But whatever the original colour i honestly think you’d struggle to get another pair in c shade to end up looking like that.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
They look as if they have a natural welt and red dainite soles which I don’t think I have ever seen on C shade Bourtons (although that doesn’t mean it’s not possible).
But whatever the original colour i honestly think you’d struggle to get another pair in c shade to end up looking like that.
I would second that. the natural welt and red dainite add to the aura of the pair. This Bourton has formed into a unique specimen. The dilemma now is, do you wear them or just display them :p ?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kicking myself for not logging in to the "ROW" link when there was the late May sale. I logged in to the UK site, and saw the 50 pound discount. Had I simply logged in to the ROW site, I could have bought a pair of Robert shoes for less than 200 pounds. The current price without VAT is 208 pounds, which isn't too bad. But I'm kicking myself for not taking advantage. 208 pounds for a suede Robert, still a pretty good deal, right?

Fenners81

Reaction score
I'm kicking myself for not logging in to the "ROW" link when there was the late May sale. I logged in to the UK site, and saw the 50 pound discount. Had I simply logged in to the ROW site, I could have bought a pair of Robert shoes for less than 200 pounds. The current price without VAT is 208 pounds, which isn't too bad. But I'm kicking myself for not taking advantage. 208 pounds for a suede Robert, still a pretty good deal, right?
It really depends on what ends up being delivered. I've had some bargains from the outlet but there is always the risk of receiving seconds, which in some cases have significant cosmetic defects. For example, I've had boots with cuts in the leather just above the welt and I know of another forum member who received boots that were completely asymmetrical around the lacing and throat line - neither of which had any defects specified in the description. It's really a matter of opinion as to whether the footwear remains good value in these circumstances.Then again you might get some that are perfect in which case £208 is a decent price. I'm guessing that they're in the sample sale at that price? If so the chance of defects is high in my opinion. Tricker's are very inconsistent in their descriptions in the outlet and often don't mention any issues as they feel that their T&Cs cover it. It's a bit of a lottery and you will be responsible for return postage which may not be cheap depending on where you live.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what ends up being delivered. I've had some bargains from the outlet but there is always the risk of receiving seconds, which I'm some cases have significant cosmetic defects. For example, I've had boots with cuts in the leather just above the welt and I know of another forum member who received boots that were completely asymmetrical around the lacing and throat line - neither of which had any dedects specified in the description. It's really a matter of opinion as to whether the footwear remains good value in these circumstances.Then again you might get some that are perfect in which case £208 is a decent price. I'm guessing that they're in the sample sale at that price? If so the chance of defects is high in my opinion. Tricker's are very inconsistent in their descriptions in the outlet and often don't mention any issues as they feel that their T&Cs cover it. It's a bit of a lottery and you will be responsible for return postage which may not be cheap depending on where you live.

Yes, it's a sample item. Looks good on the website, unless there's some kind of hidden defect like you mention.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads