• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Stswervus

Reaction score
Broke out the Kudu today.
IMG_8616.jpg

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compare the photo on Herrings shoes site, which is an old picture with the photo on Trickers website and you can certainly see how the leather has changed.
So you don't actually own a pair but you know for a fact that the weight of the leather has changed based on comparing two photos whose colour temperature will almost certainly be different or are you privy to some other information. How recently did Tricker's change the Grassmere Zug Brown to a lighter weight; are we talking in the last year, two years, when did Tricker's make this change?

shoefan57

Reaction score
So you don't actually own a pair but you know for a fact that the weight of the leather has changed based on comparing two photos whose colour temperature will almost certainly be different or are you privy to some other information. How recently did Tricker's change the Grassmere Zug Brown to a lighter weight; are we talking in the last year, two years, when did Tricker's make this change?
Both your posts to me are written aggressively. Why? Are you a troll?
I owned an older pair for many years but gave them away to charity. I now own a pair of Ilkleys in the modern leather. The Grasmere use the same leather. That’s how I know. And, yes, you can tell a lot from carefully examining photos.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both your posts to me are written aggressively. Why? Are you a troll?
I owned an older pair for many years but gave them away to charity. I now own a pair of Ilkleys in the modern leather. The Grasmere use the same leather. That’s how I know. And, yes, you can tell a lot from carefully examining photos.
No I'm not a Troll, I'm a Distinguished Member that joined Style Forum in 2011 that has previously contributed 1,262 posts to the forum. Nothing aggressive about my posts in respect to the claims you've made, I'm not name calling to defend myself, but I'll admit there's irritation in my last post because you've appeared to support your claim with no real evidence. Now you're claiming it's based on a very old pair of Grassmere that you gave away to charity many years ago, right, so no direct comparison, just speculation based on your perceived memory. I don't disagree that the shade and hue of the brown zug has some variation, this is inevitable due to the fact each time the Tanneries make up a batch of new leather it won't be exactly the same due to the number of processes the leather goes through. The older brown zug tended to have a red hue. I've compared the leather on the Herring site (and elsewhere) to that on the Tricker's site and I see no differences in the overall quality of the leather – yes, one appears to be a darker shade of brown but that could be down to the studio's lighting and the camera's colour temperature settings – apart from that the leather appears to be exactly the same. I certainly don't see any difference in the weight of the leather or would be able to make a claim that the leather's weight has changed based on these photos. How about you post up some photos of your Ilkleys in the 'modern leather'?

Last edited:

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just looked at the new Trickers website. If you sign in as a US customer, all of their boots are now listed at $785. The same boots are listed on the UK site at 585 Pounds. At today's exchange rate, that's $732.94. So it appears that not only are they not deducting VAT, but also they're charging a premium on top of normal exchange rates.

Fenners81

Reaction score
Just looked at the new Trickers website. If you sign in as a US customer, all of their boots are now listed at $785. The same boots are listed on the UK site at 585 Pounds. At today's exchange rate, that's $732.94. So it appears that not only are they not deducting VAT, but also they're charging a premium on top of normal exchange rates.
This is strange. When I order to UAE there are only two options - UK and ROW. ROW removes VAT and is still shown in GBP. For me the change In currency only happens with my bank, not Tricker's.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is strange. When I order to UAE there are only two options - UK and ROW. ROW removes VAT and is still shown in GBP. For me the change In currency only happens with my bank, not Tricker's.
This is the new Trickers website that just went live. To be clear, not the outlet site.

Fenners81

Reaction score
This is the new Trickers website that just went live. To be clear, not the outlet site.
I hadn't seen the new site. Just checked the price in AED and it's in line with the exchange rate minus VAT. Not sure why it's out in USD.

Fenners81

Reaction score
Perfect timing because at these newer prices I don't intend on buying any new footwear from them.
I had a chat with a man who runs a shoe shop in Bath and he said he was planning on discontinuing the sale of Trickers in his store for this very reason. He said he can shift C&J at this price point but that Trickers are pricing themselves out.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a chat with a man who runs a shoe shop in Bath and he said he was planning on discontinuing the sale of Trickers in his store for this very reason. He said he can shift C&J at this price point but that Trickers are pricing themselves out.
Yeah it is weird how perception is everything, yeah? Even though we might be able to objectively say that both makers are par for quality, C&J seems to have the edge in terms of higher priced appeal. Ah well. I think for me its just that I am overbought in a lot of Trickers styles so price rise or not there isn't much more from their range that I want to add to my collection.

Fenners81

Reaction score
Yeah it is weird how perception is everything, yeah? Even though we might be able to objectively say that both makers are par for quality, C&J seems to have the edge in terms of higher priced appeal. Ah well. I think for me its just that I am overbought in a lot of Trickers styles so price rise or not there isn't much more from their range that I want to add to my collection.
Yeah, perhaps C&J offering more elegant styles gives the impression of being higher end? I put the Islay next to some Stows in his store and I could see why some might view them as a superior boot. I actually prefer the Stow as I like the wide round country look. I do feel like Trickers are a little less consistent in their finishing though.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, perhaps C&J offering more elegant styles gives the impression of being higher end? I put the Islay next to some Stows in his store and I could see why some might view them as a superior boot. I actually prefer the Stow as I like the wide round country look. I do feel like Trickers are a little less consistent in their finishing though.
Yeah look means everything right. 🤣 But I agree with everything you say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads