• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

lurker33

Reaction score
@lurker33 @Fenners81 @ike_hiking_boots , thank you so much for your comments.

Could you please also suggest if such defects affect the shoes' longevity and overall quality, or is it purely on aesthetic grounds and holding shoemakers to account that such things are deemed to be a no-no?
No worries about it being an issue in the long run, it is purely visual and it will not affect the longevity. It's up to you if you want to exchange them or not.

John Rosen

Reaction score
@Fenners81 @lurker33 , thank you, as @lurker33 mentioned, given the rather casual and rugged feel of the country brogues, especially in Kudu leather, aesthetically it's much less of an issue than if it had been a pair of sleek Oxfords.

But I completely agree that it's better to return them even if I don't mind this particular imperfection, just to not tolerate this kind of sloppiness on the part of the shoemaker.

Fenners81

Reaction score
@Fenners81 @lurker33 , thank you, as @lurker33 mentioned, given the rather casual and rugged feel of the country brogues, especially in Kudu leather, aesthetically it's much less of an issue than if it had been a pair of sleek Oxfords.

But I completely agree that it's better to return them even if I don't mind this particular imperfection, just to not tolerate this kind of sloppiness on the part of the shoemaker.
If it doesn't bother you then don't send it back on principle. On the other hand, if you've paid full price and can get a perfect replacement at no cost to yourself then it's a no brainer.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I checked a few pairs and noticed my kudu Bourtons have a slightly sloppy cut/join in the same spot. It's pretty inconsequential and I wouldn't have even noticed if I wasn't looking for it. But I also paid under $300 for them. (Side note: apparently Woodhouse Clothing where I got them in January has gone out of business.). But if the cut was like shown by @John Rosen and I paid full price for them I'd probably return/exchange them. Tricker's have raised their prices so much in recent times they're now at C&J money. They also need to step up their game in terms of details like this.
FqqMgXo2Rc6kWmxbURpKPA.jpg

Fenners81

Reaction score
I checked a few pairs and noticed my kudu Bourtons have a slightly sloppy cut/join in the same spot. It's pretty inconsequential and I wouldn't have even noticed if I wasn't looking for it. But I also paid under $300 for them. (Side note: apparently Woodhouse Clothing where I got them in January has gone out of business.). But if the cut was like shown by @John Rosen and I paid full price for them I'd probably return/exchange them. Tricker's have raised their prices so much in recent times they're now at C&J money. They also need to step up their game in terms of details like this. View attachment 1930415
I also bagged some caramel kudu bourtons from woodhouse, the week before they closed. Proper bargain!

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I checked a few pairs and noticed my kudu Bourtons have a slightly sloppy cut/join in the same spot. It's pretty inconsequential and I wouldn't have even noticed if I wasn't looking for it. But I also paid under $300 for them. (Side note: apparently Woodhouse Clothing where I got them in January has gone out of business.). But if the cut was like shown by @John Rosen and I paid full price for them I'd probably return/exchange them. Tricker's have raised their prices so much in recent times they're now at C&J money. They also need to step up their game in terms of details like this. View attachment 1930415
Pretty sure that’s just a welt join and nothing to worry about.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure that’s just a welt join and nothing to worry about.
Oh yeah, I thought it funny that my kudu Bourtons had a sloppy join in the same place as his. It's no big deal but I thought his were bad enough to return especially at full retail.

Wandering

Reaction score
I don't see any photos of Kilsby in this thread.
I've ordered a pair in espresso. I might post some.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads