• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
E6FA2FA4-8DA0-4409-BB7A-9BC0AFA43649.jpeg

Wandering

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

New to Tricker's here.
I've wanted a Woodstock model for quite a while and now received a pair in Espresso, a collab with Norse Projects. Other than the name mention, I can't see a difference to the original Woodstock.

Immediately noticeable was the stiffness of the leather. Almost cordovan stiffness (pics attached).
And probably too much for me.

So now I'm considering returning these and ordering a pair of kudu Woodstocks.
Though I'm curious about some things:
-is the kudu leather a lot more battered than deerskin? Deerskin leather on Woodstock looked and felt amazing when I tried on a pair a while back.
But too visible scarring would not appeal to me, even if I appreciate some character.

- how dark is the kudu snuff colourway? I cannot find many pictures of it, but would like to see it next to espresso. I really like how the espresso sits in-between dark brown and black somehow.

Kind regards

Attachments

• 20230330_152737.jpg
    20230330_152737.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230330_152729.jpg
    20230330_152729.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 85

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

New to Tricker's here.
I've wanted a Woodstock model for quite a while and now received a pair in Espresso, a collab with Norse Projects. Other than the name mention, I can't see a difference to the original Woodstock.

Immediately noticeable was the stiffness of the leather. Almost cordovan stiffness (pics attached).

-is the kudu leather a lot more battered than deerskin? Deerskin leather on Woodstock looked and felt amazing when I tried on a pair a while back.
But too visible scarring would not appeal to me, even if I appreciate some character.

- how dark is the kudu snuff colourway? I cannot find many pictures of it, but would like to see it next to espresso. I really like how the espresso sits in-between dark brown and black somehow.

Kind regards
Wandering, please see my post:
includes a photo of Woodstock kudu in snuff (I don't anything in expresso). the scarring can be an issue as the shoe is a wholecut. it can be very hit and miss, took me several purchases to find a pair I was happy with.

Stswervus

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

New to Tricker's here.

Kind regards
Here are my Stows in Snuff Kudu. No real scarring to speak of but LOTS of texture/wrinkling. They work great for me but obviously that might be because they're brogues. As far as softness goes they're fabulous. This pic was taken on a decently bright day probably my 4th-5th time wearing them. The color is a nice balance between brown and the darker Espresso while exhibiting some burgundy notes. Love them!
Seattle Equilibrium-1.jpg

Wandering

Reaction score
Wandering, please see my post:
includes a photo of Woodstock kudu in snuff (I don't anything in expresso). the scarring can be an issue as the shoe is a wholecut. it can be very hit and miss, took me several purchases to find a pair I was happy with.
Thanks for your thoroughly informative reply.

As the regular calf leather version seems very heavy on the foot, perhaps also because of the heavy sole, and the kudu versions seem hit or miss, I may turn to a lightweight version of the Bourton or Kilsby.
Woodstock is sadly not available in lightweight.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of wondering how the norse store Woodstock is different than the standard espresso Woodstock.

Anyway, thought I'd point out that the current kudu Woodstocks are on Ridgeway sole which are a bit heavier than the standard Dainite ones. I prefer the Ridgeway but if weight is a factor, note that.

Wandering

Reaction score
Kind of wondering how the norse store Woodstock is different than the standard espresso Woodstock.

Anyway, thought I'd point out that the current kudu Woodstocks are on Ridgeway sole which are a bit heavier than the standard Dainite ones. I prefer the Ridgeway but if weight is a factor, note that.
I don't think there's any difference in the Norse Woodstock except the leather lining's colour perhaps.

Here some photos

Attachments

• 20230331_022452.jpg
    20230331_022452.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230331_022504.jpg
    20230331_022504.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 82

John Rosen

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the subtle art of purchasing handmade shoes, so I need your help to figure out what is acceptable in terms of quality and what's not.

Please let me know what you think about these Tricker's Bourtons and the welt damage that can be seen on the photos attached. Would you say it is acceptable to purchase Tricker's shoes with this kind of imperfection for a full retail price, or they should rather be sold with a heavy discount?

Attachments

• IMG_20230331_164729.jpg
    IMG_20230331_164729.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20230331_164711.jpg
    IMG_20230331_164711.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 76

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the subtle art of purchasing handmade shoes, so I need your help to figure out what is acceptable in terms of quality and what's not.

Please let me know what you think about these Tricker's Bourtons and the welt damage that can be seen on the photos attached. Would you say it is acceptable to purchase Tricker's shoes with this kind of imperfection for a full retail price, or they should rather be sold with a heavy discount?
The welt is made out of one piece of leather and there is a join where the ends meet - sometimes there's a bit of overlap, ideally it should butt up tight to point where it's hard to see the join. Yours is looking a bit gappy – it would not be considered damage but it's certainly not desirable. In my experience Tricker's have a low QC tolerance and I'm yet to receive a pair without an imperfection. I'd return them for an exchange or refund.

lurker33

Reaction score
It's far from the finest but honestly i think i'd be fine with welt joint like that on something casual.

On another note, today i wore the Black Calf Stows i picked up from the outlet for 250GBP a few weeks ago. I love when i find something that fits on the outlet, i can hardly resist it.

20230331_175322.jpg
20230331_175114.jpg

Fenners81

Reaction score
It's far from the finest but honestly i think i'd be fine with welt joint like that on something casual.

On another note, today i wore the Black Calf Stows i picked up from the outlet for 250GBP a few weeks ago. I love when i find something that fits on the outlet, i can hardly resist it.

View attachment 1930259 View attachment 1930265
Glad you got an outlet bargain. I've had too many duds from there personally. Last pair of stows I got from there had 4 different cuts in the leather around the welt.

I completely disagree that that welt on @John Rosen shoe is ok. I would return that in an instant. Every time Trickers send a pair like that out and get away with it it sets a new precedent.

Last edited:

lurker33

Reaction score
I completely disagree that that welt on @John Rosen shoe is ok. I would return that in an instant. Every time Trickers send a pair like that out and gey away with it it sets a new precedent.
Fair enough, looking at it again it is quite a lot worse than what i consider the worst on one of my pairs. The fat storm welt definitely exacerbates the problem.

John Rosen

Reaction score
@lurker33 @Fenners81 @ike_hiking_boots , thank you so much for your comments.

Could you please also suggest if such defects affect the shoes' longevity and overall quality, or is it purely on aesthetic grounds and holding shoemakers to account that such things are deemed to be a no-no?

Fenners81

Reaction score
@lurker33 @Fenners81 @ike_hiking_boots , thank you so much for your comments.

Could you please also suggest if such defects affect the shoes' longevity and overall quality, or is it purely on aesthetic grounds and holding shoemakers to account that such things are deemed to be a no-no?
I doubt very much that longevity will be impacted. If it doesn't bother you aesthetically, then enjoy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads