• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Kiwijohn

Reaction score
"Very odd" and "unsatisfactory" seems to describe a lot of the things they say.
Yep. I’ve ordered an MTO from Trickers a couple of months ago through Shoe Healer which I’m looking forward to. I tried emailing Trickers directly to ask how the boots are coming along. No help at all. Thankfully Shoe Healer are great to deal with.

Fenners81

Reaction score
Any views here on the kudu leather trickers use? I get the principle that it's meant to have individual characteristics due to thorn scratches etc. I like the colours it comes in and have found quite a few at sale prices. Is it decent or to be avoided? How dos it compare with trickers calf?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Recent kudu is a whole bunch smoother without the marks of a life spent battling thorny bushes and barbed wire fences. I kind of prefer the older beat up stuff.

bemk

Reaction score
Any views here on the kudu leather trickers use? I get the principle that it's meant to have individual characteristics due to thorn scratches etc. I like the colours it comes in and have found quite a few at sale prices. Is it decent or to be avoided? How dos it compare with trickers calf?

I have a pair of the 'older beat up stuff' as @zippyh worded it and they are very pliable from the first second. You have to wear Calf quite some time to get somewhere close.
I found the Funchal leather very similar to Kudu, got Stows in both of these leathers.

Recent kudu is a whole bunch smoother without the marks of a life spent battling thorny bushes and barbed wire fences. I kind of prefer the older beat up stuff.

You surely talk about the surface only and not how it wears.

Btw and once again, thank you so much for your help with Alden sizing some weeks ago! I got very happy and mentioned you here along with pictures. :cheers:

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It took me several attempts to get a pair I was happy with. Some like the scars but I found if they were deep and long and in a prominent area the shoes looked like they were damaged. It did seem to be hit and miss. What was worse was the wrinkling some parts of the leather could be very wrinkled. I could tolerate the scars if the shoe were heavily discounted but not the wrinkling.

IMG_9073.jpeg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah plain toe with a big prominent scar on the toe would probably be a deal killer. It’s less of an issue to me with wingtips.

Fenners81

Reaction score
Thanks for the kudu advice - maybe I'll steer clear. I'm eyeing some Maltons on ebay. I'm typically a 9 or 9.5uk and these are 10s. I'm kind of talking myself into getting them as I'll probably wear thick socks. Am I being foolish? According to trickers size gide my foot length = 9uk but I don't wear 9 in anything and would benefit from extra width. Don't want to look like I borrowed them from my older brother though...

Last edited:

Fedoraguy

Reaction score
I have a similar question regarding the Tricker’s bison leather. I’m worried that the variations would overwhelm the boot’s appearance. You guys have any thoughts or guidance?

Fenners81

Reaction score
I'm still following some pairs on ebay as I can't stomach shelling out 500 quid for a pair. Do Trickers have a standard method for denoting factory seconds so I can check this prior to purchasing?

princealbert

Reaction score
I'm still following some pairs on ebay as I can't stomach shelling out 500 quid for a pair. Do Trickers have a standard method for denoting factory seconds so I can check this prior to purchasing?
Usually a circular stamp inside the shoe with the letters FS in it.

bemk

Reaction score
Do Trickers have a standard method for denoting factory seconds so I can check this prior to purchasing?

Usually a circular stamp inside the shoe with the letters FS in it.

I wonder, if the stamp is a thing of the past as I have never seen it in copies from their sample sale.

My answer is that they typically have a white label instead of the default blue one. Others from their outlet have the blue label.

Trickers-labels.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads