• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Sole Boy

Reaction score
IMG_0918.jpeg
IMG_0960.jpeg

Crafty creations doing their job in the Atlas Mountains.

bemk

Reaction score
Gents,

I want to share a new pair of boots with you, although it's not a Tricker's. But I know that some of you have it and it was on this thread, that I learned about its existence.

It's the Rannoch from Hoggs Of Fife and it caught my interest, as it has a Veldtschoen construction which is more watertight than a Goodyear welt and it has Zug Grain Leather, which is waterproof. And it has a commando sole and all this in sum makes it ideal for me for snowy winter walks and hiking on muddy ground.

My current best choice for this is my Viberg Service Boot, because of its Ridgeway sole. And I have one of those great, but truly ugly outdoor boots, a pair from Meindl, which I refused to mount for years and a quite cool, tall Moc-Toe styled boot from Timberland, but these are a bit too narrow. These two pairs I will donate now to the local homeless charity.

From what I have read, the Rannoch is made for Hoggs Of Fife by Cheaney. Their related model would be the Pennine and the Windermere, which Cheaney does for Herring, but both have a different leather and I think the tongue is not stitched all the way up. And in earlier times the Rannoch was made by Alfred Sargent and their corresponding model was the Kelso.
(The next best match from Tricker's would be the Grassmere, which they offer also in brown Zug, but it's not a Veldtschoen built and the tongue is stitched shorter at the sides.)

What sets the Rannoch apart from these are the speed hooks, which I like on a boot as tall as the Rannoch. And the lower price, which I like as I bought this as a tool for infrequent use.

I could only wear it for some hours today and it feels really comfortable and the sole is quiet and softer than the Dainite. I got it in the same size - thank you @Crafty Cumbrian 👊🏻 - as my Burford, Stow and Bourton (UK 8) and I would describe the fit as a Burford / Stow that fits even thicker socks. More roomy than these.

Btw, here's a lovely review: The Vintage Gun Journal - The Rannoch Boot

Here it is:

230126_16738_Hoggs-Of-Fife-Rannoch.jpg

And next to an Espresso Burford and a Polo Kudu Stow:

230126_16739_Hoggs-Of-Fife-Rannoch_Trickers.jpg

Last edited:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I want to share a new pair of boots with you, although it's not a Tricker's. But I know that some of you have it and it was on this thread, that I learned about its existence.

It's the Rannoch from Hoggs Of Fife and it caught my interest, as it has a Veldtschoen construction which is more watertight than a Goodyear welt and it has Zug Grain Leather, which is waterproof. And it has a commando sole and all this in sum makes it ideal for me for snowy winter walks and hiking on muddy ground.

My current best choice for this is my Viberg Service Boot, because of its Ridgeway sole. And I have one of those great, but truly ugly outdoor boots, a pair from Meindl, which I refused to mount for years and a quite cool, tall Moc-Toe styled boot from Timberland, but these are a bit too narrow. These two pairs I will donate now to the local homeless charity.

From what I have read, the Rannoch is made for Hoggs Of Fife by Cheaney. Their related model would be the Pennine and the Windermere, which Cheaney does for Herring, but both have a different leather and I think the tongue is not stitched all the way up. And in earlier times the Rannoch was made by Alfred Sargent and their corresponding model was the Kelso.
(The next best match from Tricker's would be the Grassmere, which they offer also in brown Zug, but it's not a Veldtschoen built and the tongue is stitched shorter at the sides.)

What sets the Rannoch apart from these are the speed hooks, which I like on a boot as tall as the Rannoch. And the lower price, which I like as I bought this as a tool for infrequent use.

I could only wear it for some hours today and it feels really comfortable and the sole is quiet and softer than the Dainite. I got it in the same size - thank you @Crafty Cumbrian 👊🏻 - as my Burford, Stow and Bourton (UK 8) and I would describe the fit as a Burford / Stow that fits even thicker socks. More roomy than these.

Btw, here's a lovely review: The Vintage Gun Journal - The Rannoch Boot

Here it is:

View attachment 1883637

And next to an Espresso Burford and a Polo Kudu Stow:

View attachment 1883639

I had a pair of these and really rated them quite highly. I only sold them as I had an opportunity to buy some Crockett & Jones Snowdon veldt boots in zug and couldn't justify keeping both.

I think in hindsight these were more comfortable than the Snowdons which I still have, this was mainly because the Rannoch has a more spacious toe box.

The Snowdon is a heavier/sturdier build with a double leather midsole and similar commando sole but both can handle abuse.

I can confirm the Rannoch is made by Cheaney as I spoke to someone from Cheaney relating to a minor issue with my Rannoch's.

I would definitely buy these again and think they're a bargain.

Closest Trickers model would be the zug Grassmere which look nice.

bemk

Reaction score
I had a pair of these and really rated them quite highly. I only sold them as I had an opportunity to buy some Crockett & Jones Snowdon veldt boots in zug and couldn't justify keeping both.

I think in hindsight these were more comfortable than the Snowdons which I still have, this was mainly because the Rannoch has a more spacious toe box.

The Snowdon is a heavier/sturdier build with a double leather midsole and similar commando sole but both can handle abuse.

I can confirm the Rannoch is made by Cheaney as I spoke to someone from Cheaney relating to a minor issue with my Rannoch's.

I would definitely buy these again and think they're a bargain.

Closest Trickers model would be the zug Grassmere which look nice.

Thank you so much for your informative and very encouraging post! 🌞👍

I had been a bit critical with myself about adding the Rannoch before the purchase. I mean, I'm in the center of Germany over here and this is not really the wilderness and I'm not much of an outdoor guy, so while the Rannoch is not overkill, I easily get along with one of my many boots. The R.M. Williams Gardener is one tough Chelsea and there's my Ridgeway-soled Viberg SB 2030. And if it had only been for a Commando, I can have my cobbler do one on of my leather-soled Tricker's when it's about time for a news sole.

But there's something about the figure and nature of the Rannoch, which appeals to me big time, especially with already so many sleeker boots in the collection. This is also the reason, why I didn't consider 'your' beautiful Snowdon or the Coniston, which still is a potential candidate for the future. Currently I'm close to make an Alden shell my next boot.

So the Rannoch was almost a no-brainer and after some long minutes of getting adjusted to the look of such a massive boot on me, I super like them.

As pictures on the web are a bit sparse, I thought I add some and picked my Polo Kudu Stow for comparison:

230128_16751_Rannoch_vs_Stow.jpg

Here I adjusted the front to the same level to show the different volume of the toe-caps:

230128_16751_Rannoch_vs_Stow_toecap.jpg

And a top view. Not exact science, but I think it gives an idea.

230128_16755_Rannoch_vs_Stow_topview.jpg

And to have the comparison complete, here's again the front view, which I had posted yesterday:

230126_16739_Hoggs-Of-Fife-Rannoch_Trickers.jpg

--

Update: As I don't want to add another post about the Rannoch here, I'm attaching these new pictures in this one:

230129_16762_Hoggs-Of-Fife_Rannoch.jpg

230129_16769_Hoggs-Of-Fife_Rannoch.jpg
230129_16766_Hoggs-Of-Fife_Rannoch.jpg

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your informative and very encouraging post! 🌞👍

I had been a bit critical with myself about adding the Rannoch before the purchase. I mean, I'm in the center of Germany over here and this is not really the wilderness and I'm not much of an outdoor guy, so while the Rannoch is not overkill, I easily get along with one of my many boots. The R.M. Williams Gardener is one tough Chelsea and there's my Ridgeway-soled Viberg SB 2030. And if it had only been for a Commando, I can have my cobbler do one on of my leather-soled Tricker's when it's about time for a news sole.

But there's something about the figure and nature of the Rannoch, which appeals to me big time, especially with already so many sleeker boots in the collection. This is also the reason, why I didn't consider 'your' beautiful Snowdon or the Coniston, which still is a potential candidate for the future. Currently I'm close to make an Alden shell my next boot.

So the Rannoch was almost a no-brainer and after some long minutes of getting adjusted to the look of such a massive boot on me, I super like them.

As pictures on the web are a bit sparse, I thought I add some and picked my Polo Kudu Stow for comparison:

View attachment 1884243

Here I adjusted the front to the same level to show the different volume of the toe-caps:

View attachment 1884244

And a top view. Not exact science, but I think it gives an idea.

View attachment 1884245

And to have the comparison complete, here's again the front view, which I had posted yesterday:

View attachment 1884251

--

Update: As I don't want to add another post about the Rannoch here, I'm attaching these new pictures in this one:

View attachment 1884437
View attachment 1884438 View attachment 1884439
The Rannoch is the Pennine with speedhooks then ?
Hoggs of Fife offer them. I thought the leather might be different. The Hoggs Veldtschoen shoe - the Roxburgh -certainly has a different leather to the Pennine.

Pennine is no good for a high instep. The lacing bows in the middle but is narrow at the base and top. Nine hole is also fairly cluttered, though a different lacing pattern is helpful.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pennine is also different at the sides to the Rannoch. The Pennine has a seam that runs down to the sole.

bemk

Reaction score
The Rannoch is the Pennine with speedhooks then ?
Hoggs of Fife offer them. I thought the leather might be different. The Hoggs Veldtschoen shoe - the Roxburgh -certainly has a different leather to the Pennine.

Yes and no. The Pennine is also a Veldtschoen construction, but has a Grain leather, that is not Zug Grain.

The Pennine is also different at the sides to the Rannoch. The Pennine has a seam that runs down to the sole.

There are different generations (I see a Pennine II and III also) and some variations on the leather, I haven't looked into all of these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads