• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that’s contrary to advice I’d give but as I’ve said to you your feet are your feet so what works for you but generally I’d suggest half up if anything. Probably why lots of DR pairs appear on Grailed! ?
You'd recommend 1/2 size up from your 4497/2298 boot size for 2298 Bourtons? I imagine most people are fine taking the same size as their 4497 and 2298 boots.. Just for me I'd probably need an insole or tongue pads to take the same size.

I'm going to assume you're referring to 1/2 size up compared to 4444 Bourtons. My post may not have been clear.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
You'd recommend 1/2 size up from your 4497/2298 boot size for 2298 Bourtons? I imagine most people are fine taking the same size as their 4497 and 2298 boots.. Just for me I'd probably need an insole or tongue pads to take the same size.

I'm going to assume you're referring to 1/2 size up compared to 4444 Bourtons. My post may not have been clear.
I think from how I interpreted the DR advice to you was size down 1/2 from 2298 and I was suggesting if anything size up but I and most are TTS. @zippyh come out of the shadows brother and assist…

rob80bboots

Reaction score
.......... I would say that these shoes look to be a very similar shape to my 4497 boots but with an elongated toe.

............I am concerned that going down 1/2 a size would result in my pinky toes getting squished as the overall fit for my foot in UK 8.5 on the 4497 and 2298 seems just right.
Ok that appears to be correct and if I'm honest with myself my right pinky is, now that you mention it, pushed up against the side more so than with the 4497 last of the same size, although not really bothersome..... yet. :rolleyes:
Still, with the advice of the seasoned Tricker's I wouldn't size down.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
TBH, a lot of what I've read regarding DR sizing advice is crap.

Tricker's sizing advice can be summed up like this. Most people take same size in 4497 and 2298 but some go up a size for 2298. Same advice for monkey boot last 5402 and 81 last. Most everyone takes 1/2 size down for 4444 (there's also a rarely used last I can't remember the id which fits like 4444).

If you're wondering what last a pair is actually using, peel back the sock liner and look. Actual UK size and last are stamped on the heel. I wouldn't do this to a pair I was going to return, but it's non-destructive.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tricker's sizing advice can be summed up like this. Most people take same size in 4497 and 2298 but some go up a size for 2298. Same advice for monkey boot last 5402 and 81 last. Most everyone takes 1/2 size down for 4444 (there's also a rarely used last I can't remember the id which fits like 4444).

If you're wondering what last a pair is actually using, peel back the sock liner and look. Actual UK size and last are stamped on the heel. I wouldn't do this to a pair I was going to return, but it's non-destructive.
So you are saying if I go with the 2298 Bourton UK 8 rather than my usual 4497/2298 size UK 8.5 for boots it will end up on Grailed/eBay very shortly? ?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score

I thank ye and goodnight! ?

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to keep the offending articles. Completes my kudu odyssey..
View attachment 1714583
Polo? I have some non buyers regret at the moment. The Dainite sole is one of the reasons why I held back. Frankly those things especially on the Trickers become stupidly uncomfortable for me after some time. In hindsight at the Black Friday price I should have picked up and had them resoled.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I think from how I interpreted the DR advice to you was size down 1/2 from 2298 and I was suggesting if anything size up but I and most are TTS. @zippyh come out of the shadows brother and assist…

I wish I had sized up a half on the 2298 relative to the 4497. If I go TTS (UK8) in the 2298, I get some pinky toe grief. My DRs will probably also be up for sale for that reason.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Polo? I have some non buyers regret at the moment. The Dainite sole is one of the reasons why I held back. ..........
I would have been all over those but have my Crafty Eatons Sign on the Ridgeway ........
Seen here when fairly new before darkening the welt.
Crafty Eaton.jpg
Mind you there's still my size in Naster MC.... :rolleyes:

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have been all over those but have my Crafty Eatons Sign on the Ridgeway ........
View attachment 1714710
Naster is that nice? To be honest, if I hadn’t jumped at the sign kudu stows well back when I would have gone for these. Also gonna be based closer to the Equator now so more on the look out for comfy suede chukkas and so on. I bagged a peanut Kudu pair on the 4444 for gbp 140 six months ago and I swear to god that blasted thing is probably the favourite in my entire collection. Almost makes all the other effort seem in vain. ???‍♂️

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a follow up, i’m also now more inclined to pick up plain toe pairs in leathers that show more variation as they age. Veg tanned leathers and the like.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1714710
Also what do they look like now? Curious to see how the leather changes with wear. I hear it burnishes quite a bit.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Polo? I have some non buyers regret at the moment. The Dainite sole is one of the reasons why I held back. Frankly those things especially on the Trickers become stupidly uncomfortable for me after some time. In hindsight at the Black Friday price I should have picked up and had them resoled.
Polo but a very burgundy polo ..

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Naster is that nice? ........
I've only have it in a shoe but it's rather stiff and will take a little longer to break in, should make for a tough wearing boot.

Also what do they look like now? Curious to see how the leather changes with wear. I hear it burnishes quite a bit.
Except for the welt the Kudu leather itself hasn't changed all that much, same for my Sign Stows, so no real patina as such.

Kudu Eaton.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads