• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Olderfellow

Reaction score
Bored of seeing the pic of my broken laces topping the thread gallery so here's a shot of the boots from a different angle.

Attachments

• IMG_9217.JPG
    IMG_9217.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 87

Olderfellow

Reaction score
I love grain so this has me regretting not picking up a pair....

They're still on the site. Will probably be another sale on Boxing Day or something. I emailed Trickers about the laces and they say they are sending me replacements.

Here's a pic of the Monkey Boots proper I used to have but I sold them on as the inner lining was 'pleather'. I prefer this sleeker last and this pair was on a commando sole, which I also prefer.

Attachments

• IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the Monkey Boots proper I used to have but I sold them on as the inner lining was 'pleather'. I prefer this sleeker last and this pair was on a commando sole, which I also prefer.
Never considered a Monkey Boot but those look fine, also like that there's a **** in the tongue to keep it in place.
What last where they on and odd Tricker's would use pleather. :rolleyes:
Also love the Scotch grain...have that on both my Grassmere..makes for one tough boot, especially when on a commando. ;)

That' where the Grassmere fit in.... :)
View attachment 1584413

Olderfellow

Reaction score
Forgot to say: Tricker's customer support said "check the eyelets. If they have any sharp bits some sandpaper will fix this".

Olderfellow

Reaction score
odd Tricker's would use pleather

I contacted Tricker's directly about the 'pleather' lining after having bought the Monkey boots. I got them from the online outlet store. Their first reply stated that the boots were made using 'natural leather'. I countered this and customer support then contacted me again a few days later saying that the lining actually had a plastic coating over the top. The description accompanying the Monkey boot on the outlet store was then changed to state that there was a 'lining issue' with the Monkey boot'. I contacted Tricker's once more to point out that when I bought the boots there was no mention of a 'lining issue' and what exactly did it entail. They then replied saying that the lining can, over time, "crease, bubble and ripple" but that this would not effect the comfort of the boot.

They also stated that the items sold on the outlet store may have been tried on, be substandard or have defects and that this is detailed in the T&Cs.

I think one way to to determine if pleather has been used is to put a drop of water onto the surface. If it is not absorbed then it is not traditional leather.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I contacted Tricker's directly about the 'pleather' lining after having bought the Monkey boots. I got them from the online outlet store. Their first reply stated that the boots were made using 'natural leather'. I countered this and customer support then contacted me again a few days later saying that the lining actually had a plastic coating over the top. The description accompanying the Monkey boot on the outlet store was then changed to state that there was a 'lining issue' with the Monkey boot'. I contacted Tricker's once more to point out that when I bought the boots there was no mention of a 'lining issue' and what exactly did it entail. They then replied saying that the lining can, over time, "crease, bubble and ripple" but that this would not effect the comfort of the boot.

They also stated that the items sold on the outlet store may have been tried on, be substandard or have defects and that this is detailed in the T&Cs.

I think one way to to determine if pleather has been used is to put a drop of water onto the surface. If it is not absorbed then it is not traditional leather.
No one can accuse you of a lack of thoroughness mate! ?

btw 120 cm laces, capiche?

Olderfellow

Reaction score
No one can accuse you of a lack of thoroughness mate!

I am currently in touch with Tricker's customer support with regard to which grades of sandpaper they recommend I use on the eyelets. I shall report back after having undertaken a thorough investigation into their suggestions. Probably in the form of a spreadsheet.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well. I love my acorn Stow so much that I have a few more pairs on the way. Tricker's x DR coffee burnished Eaton and Tricker's x DR color 8 CXL Bourton. Slightly concerned about the 2298 fit compared to the 4497, but Division Road assured me that it's unlikely to be an issue for me.

I expect to be buying a few more pairs within the next few months as well.. A problem may be developing.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
.......... Slightly concerned about the 2298 fit compared to the 4497, but Division Road assured me that it's unlikely to be an issue for me.
Had the same concern on the Durham I ordered, YMMV but I find the 2298 last is quite nice, more similar to my Cheaney 12508 last, which is a bit more form fitting than the 4497.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am currently in touch with Tricker's customer support with regard to which grades of sandpaper they recommend I use on the eyelets. I shall report back after having undertaken a thorough investigation into their suggestions. Probably in the form of a spreadsheet.

When I had a pair of boots with something sharp in an eyelet (Aldens not Trickers) I used a pair of needle nose pliers to remove a bit of sharp metal.

Olderfellow

Reaction score
When I had a pair of boots with something sharp in an eyelet (Aldens not Trickers) I used a pair of needle nose pliers to remove a bit of sharp metal.
Another excellent tip! I'm going to use what's left of the broken laces to see if I can 'trace the fault'...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads