• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mild excitement on my part at the monkey boot in black scotch grain until I noticed it has hints of blue and is on the 4497S last. Could look very strange...

I actually really liked the look of that one. Should be a very cool pair. I think with the kind of light you get in the Autumn Winter months it should appear more black than blue. Indoor lighting may bring out the blue, maybe.

Olderfellow

Reaction score
I actually really liked the look of that one. Should be a very cool pair. I think with the kind of light you get in the Autumn Winter months it should appear more black than blue. Indoor lighting may bring out the blue, maybe.

Not sure about the 4497S last for a monkey boot. I bought a pair in black scotch grain some years back but returned them because the inside lining was 'pleather', which can rip. Might order these ones and take a look and use PayPal free returns as it costs a lot to send boots back these days.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Not sure about the 4497S last for a monkey boot. I bought a pair in black scotch grain some years back but returned them because the inside lining was 'pleather', which can rip. Might order these ones and take a look and use PayPal free returns as it costs a lot to send boots back these days.
To the best of my knowledge I was the first person to order a monkey on 4497s. I don’t much care for 5402…I’m biased of course but much prefer it. Like most stuff recently it’s weird they were on the outlet but that said I’m glad different things are appearing their and for whatever reason they are we should be at least grateful of choice.
11635AED-36CD-40A5-98DE-B79D53D2FEE9.jpeg

atgeagew

Reaction score
Not sure about the 4497S last for a monkey boot. I bought a pair in black scotch grain some years back but returned them because the inside lining was 'pleather', which can rip.

Somewhat anxious to end up with an actually black boot, I picked up the marron antique instead, they at least seem to have the usual leather lining (except for the heel, which I guess is unlined or, rather, the lining's rough side facing out).

Finally a pair of Tricker's I can lace up tight.

Last edited:

Olderfellow

Reaction score
Ordered the black/blue boots out of curiosity more than anything. Will post some pics.

basu13

Reaction score
Taking a few leaves out of Crafty Cumbrian's extensive picture book for some footwear picture compositions. ?

Trickers Stows for Sunday lunch and drinks at the club .

IMG_20211128_105534__01__01.jpg
IMG_20211128_133704__01__01.jpg
IMG_20211128_133651__01__01.jpg
IMG_20211128_134839_Bokeh.jpg

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score

cb1998

Reaction score
Wondering if some people could give me sizing advice (aware it is somewhat of a faux pas, but at the same time want to know if I am perhaps way off). I took 10.5 in my Stows based off my other English made shoes (Cheaney, C and J); Ive tried size 11 but it just feels like there's a lot of leather over the top and my foot doesn't feel like its giving my resistance to the boot. However, since wearing my Stows a bit I feel like my right big toe is quite close to the front (my left foot is smaller than my right). Im sometimes able to feel this a bit, especially if I have walked a lot. My toes aren't as close in my other English made shoes and boots, and it seems as though Trickers are just perhaps slightly shorter and wider.

My question is whether it might be smart to go for the size 11 and just put in an insole? Or, as the boot breaks in more will the boot start to feel a bit larger...? Pic attached showing the insole (and so perhaps you can compare to your own pairs). Thanks!

Attachments

• tempImagebMZr49.png
    tempImagebMZr49.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 51

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Wondering if some people could give me sizing advice ...........
Pic attached showing the insole (and so perhaps you can compare to your own pairs). Thanks!
Appears your Stows may indeed be too short. With their generous 4497 last the foot could have a tendency to slip forward which would not be as obvious or problematic on a boot or shoe that is more form fitting.
Even though we measure the length of the foot for sizing the big toe could/should have up to an inch or more room at the front, IMHO 1/2" or 1.5 centimeters should be the minimum.
At first ones foot may feel less secure in a roomier Tricker's but I'm finding that over time once the cork lined insole eventually forms to the bottom of the foot it keeps the foot in place and prevents it from sliding about while allowing wiggle free room for the toes all day long.;)

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
Scored a pair of Trickers boot trees for 24 quid. Shipping cost more than the trees so I sent it to a friend for 4 quid.

Now to get them to the US as cheaply as possible....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads