• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How is the Trickers grain in comparison to their esteemed compatriots up the road? ;-)

Assume you mean C&J?

That's one of those "it depends" situations.
I'm guessing they both use pretty much the same suppliers. I've had thin and plasticy feeling scotch grain from both. Notably a Burford in burgundy and a C&J for Black Fleece Coniston lookalike also in burgundy. It's probably the same leather. The browns and tan scotch grain offerings from both seem to be thicker and more supple.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assume you mean C&J?

That's one of those "it depends" situations.
I'm guessing they both use pretty much the same suppliers. I've had thin and plasticy feeling scotch grain from both. Notably a Burford in burgundy and a C&J for Black Fleece Coniston lookalike also in burgundy. It's probably the same leather. The browns and tan scotch grain offerings from both seem to be thicker and more supple.
C&J indeed. Reason being the Trickers Outlet has a black scotch grain Stow that is markedly cheaper than the Balck Edition Islay, even though the Islay may be a bit more refined if you would. I was just curious to know if there might be any differences mostly.

Interesting about the burgundy grain being thinner. I have a pair of Cheaney Pennine 2 that I do quite like but that leather, also burgundy, is in fact also much thinner than any other C&J tan and brown grain pairs that I own. Seems all roads lead to one tannery then. :p

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I should also note that the burgundy grain Burfords and Coniston lookalikes are about 10 years old. I have some Tricker's short Stows in burgundy grain which is thicker and not plasticy.

In addition to the black grain Stows, you should get the brown roughout Suedes ones too. Those two pairs together would be less than the Black Edition Islays so you'd actually be saving money!!!

cb1998

Reaction score
How’s the Olivvia grain leather durability wise? I imagine it’s quite soft.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How’s the Olivvia grain leather durability wise? I imagine it’s quite soft.
If it is the same leather source then I imagine no different or maybe even more durable than regular chrome tanned leathers? Veg tanned leathers tend to be stiffer at the beginning because the process is more natural and slower than the faster, more corrosive ( ? ) nature of chrome tanning?

With that said, considering that most leathers are made to last a lifetime of wear i’d assume it’s super hard to quantify the relative gains or losses of each method. ;-)

Short answer : who the hell knows... ???‍♂️

konstantis

Reaction score
I have 4 pairs of Bourtons. The last one is a kudu suede pair. This pair is the the pair with the most snug fit. I have another pair in Horween cavalier on a commando sole which is the roomier one. All the pairs are one 8.5 U.K. May I ask if the differences in the fit are something common ? Thanks

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
ReCraftyed Bourton
B44FF48F-5D60-4F8B-81A8-607E3D890BE5.jpeg

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI Someone's posted a few pairs of Trickers x Paul Smith Stows on eBay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads