• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cuba Waxy loggers.
LUo_vh4BRHet7FZ5Wdgixg.jpg

basu13

Reaction score
If you’re asking about the welt on mine, it came like that, but it has darkened considerably since. I put mine through it’s paces through autumn to spring. Pictures below for comparison, new to six months old. I think that your pair is going to show even more character on the upper in the same time frame. View attachment 1644021 View attachment 1644022

They look fantastic, lovely patina starting to build up. Pretty much impossible to keep natural welts in their original colour. Have you used coloured shoe cream on this or only neutral conditioner?

Regarding sales, if you're looking for something from the core catalog, check the various retailers around Black Friday/Christmas/post Christmas. Seasonal offerings/special makeups seem to follow the usual summer/winter sale pattern. The outlet randomly goes an extra 20% for many minor holidays. I'm in the US so British bank holidays are a mystery to me.

Thanks for the tips. Yes, UK bank holidays are indeed a mystery to most but the good people from there. ? Will watch out for these sales during the course of the year.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look fantastic, lovely patina starting to build up. Pretty much impossible to keep natural welts in their original colour. Have you used coloured shoe cream on this or only neutral conditioner?

Thanks for the tips. Yes, UK bank holidays are indeed a mystery to most but the good people from there. ? Will watch out for these sales during the course of the year.
Neutral and the cream based brown polish that came with them. Mostly neutral though. Think I have only polished them once or twice.

leparrain7

Reaction score
I got a pair of peanut suede Chukkas in sale and can attest to them being quite tough and able to take a beating. The leather has no marks at all even though i’ve done jungle walks and beach combing in them. A commando sole wouldn’t be a bad idea if you wanted to be rough and tumble with them, but otherwise the vibram is great for a lightweight option that can handle a beating.
this is completely in agreement with the Vibram, because it remains a light and comfortable sole, a good alternative to the crepe sole..
Suede and commando does look cool but enjoy as is for now. They actually go fairly well with shorts.
yes exact, they are versatile and can be worn with shorts, I saw your photos last s...
you know you are my artistic inspiration???

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Haha indeed. .......... Also, which are the most popular websites for these sales ?
I've on occasion ordered from Matchfashion...usually free shipping and one can prepay the taxes with nothing added on delivery..a real bonus...very nice packaging also.......sadly I logged on too late so only slim pickings at this time .. mostly larger sizes.

Prices shown includes taxes and free shipping, at least to Canada ... obviously the UK would have VAT.
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 11.48.47 AM.png

Last edited:

basu13

Reaction score
Quick (newbie) question on conditioning and polishing calf leather Stows, would love to hear views of folks on this thread. Saphir Renovateur, cream polish and wax - is that the accepted routine before a first wear (as is usually the recommendation for dress shoes)?

Also- how frequently thereafter is the conditioner and polish/wax typically required?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quick (newbie) question on conditioning and polishing calf leather Stows, would love to hear views of folks on this thread. Saphir Renovateur, cream polish and wax - is that the accepted routine before a first wear (as is usually the recommendation for dress shoes)?

Also- how frequently thereafter is the conditioner and polish/wax typically required?
To be honest, I don't do anything to them before first wear. If any, just a little wax and a little cream. But I like to wait until some wears to see where the creases are going to be. And as for frequency, I guess it depends on how much you wear them and the conditions. I haven't added anything to my Stow's or Bourton's since they arrived 6 months or so, ago.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Assuming standard calf and not cxl or some other special process - I prefer to keep a good polish on all my calf - whether shoes or boots. I don't do both condition and wax/polish. I use wax only and my shoes/boots are just fine. I don't need 2 or 3 different products for the same pair of shoes/boots. Having a decent base of polish allows you to brush out scuffs easier. Then it becomes a matter of how much of a shine you want - the more shine you want the more frequently you have to re-apply. As the scuffs start to take longer to brush out, it's a key that it's time to apply a new coat of polish. And, if you're in wet conditions more often, you want to make sure you've got a good wax base. My personal preference is wax over polish for calf - I think it lasts longer and provides better protection than strait polish but I don't have tests to prove it.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing really. I tried to avoid getting them wet the first ten to fifteen wears, and in that respect I just applied a little beeswax based neutral polish to the welt and nothing more. It really depends on your usage and personal preference, I guess. I used my pair in the rain, muddy conditions and clear sunny days and heavy snow too. In a more urban environment that kind of wear and tear for the leather is possibly not going to happen. I think in total, I have applied Saphir neutral cream maybe three to four times and not because the shoes looked like they needed it, more a case of me just being bored and looking for an excuse to take out and look at the damn shoes. ? Guess a bit of conditioning at the beginning may help soften the leather but I wore mine like mad so I can’t attest to that being necessary in the end.

princealbert

Reaction score
Some good deals on tredders.com for anyone looking for Stows or Bourtons in Acorn. Quite unusual to see price reductions on these styles.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with the above. I don't put anything on new shoes and don't do a lot to them, generally. I usually brush before I wear them and occasionally use some Saphir neutral cream. Brushing is my favourite treatment and really does fill that dull moment.

I used to have a trunk load of shoe products and brushes until I came to my senses. As in life, keep it simple. :cool2:

basu13

Reaction score
Thanks all who provided their views on boot conditioning and polishing. Always good to hear thoughts from experienced users :)?

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above. I don't put anything on new shoes and don't do a lot to them, generally. I usually brush before I wear them and occasionally use some Saphir neutral cream. Brushing is my favourite treatment and really does fill that dull moment.

I used to have a trunk load of shoe products and brushes until I came to my senses. As in life, keep it simple. :cool2:
He he this. A quick brush every time I put them on for a fast tidying up, and maybe a slightly more thorough one once i’m done wearing then and life is good.

Webbo

Reaction score
I've on occasion ordered from Matchfashion...usually free shipping and one can prepay the taxes with nothing added on delivery..a real bonus...very nice packaging also.......sadly I logged on too late so only slim pickings at this time .. mostly larger sizes.

Prices shown includes taxes and free shipping, at least to Canada ... obviously the UK would have VAT.
View attachment 1644889
Thanks, a pair of suede Roberts for less than £200 was too good to resist

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads