• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Chocolate brown suede. With one slidey tongue.
niGFCpEaQpCTgDgR5B_iog.jpg

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really nice and unique for Trickers. You would think by 2021 shoemakers would have figured out how to stop the slidey tongue. Half my boots do it.
Well, lots of shoe makers have figured it out with a 'lace anchor' half way up the tongue. Unfortunately, in my experience, it makes the laces very difficult to do up and undo. I guess something similar could easily be done as a modification. The other option is a half bellows arrangement.

killer121

Reaction score
Well, lots of shoe makers have figured it out with a 'lace anchor' half way up the tongue. Unfortunately, in my experience, it makes the laces very difficult to do up and undo. I guess something similar could easily be done as a modification. The other option is a half bellows arrangement.
Thought most of tricker's boot have a gusseted tongue which should do away with the lace anchor.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Really nice and unique for Trickers. You would think by 2021 shoemakers would have figured out how to stop the slidey tongue. Half my boots do it.

I never knew that Dave Berg character was named Roger Kaputnik.

princealbert

Reaction score
just seen that a retailer here in the uk called Country Attire, has some Trickers boots for sale at £294 which seems like a decent price........I weakened and ordered a pair of Stows in Espresso. There are a few sizes left in Stows and Burfords plus a few other styles if anyone has cash burning a hole in their pocket.

konstantis

Reaction score
just seen that a retailer here in the uk called Country Attire, has some Trickers boots for sale at £294 which seems like a decent price........I weakened and ordered a pair of Stows in Espresso. There are a few sizes left in Stows and Burfords plus a few other styles if anyone has cash burning a hole in their pocket.
Interesting , but I don’t see half sizes.

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
Trickers x Division Road
View attachment 1568662

I've always really liked that makeup, @Crafty Cumbrian, and wish I would have picked it up in my size. How does that 2298 compare to 4497S? They have a pair in stock a half-size larger than my 4497S boots. And the last 4497S I picked up (their Tramping Boots in Color 8 Dublin) are more fitted than my 4497S Stows -- if this fit similarly, I might be able to make a 7 work.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
By the way, if you haven't read Stitchdown recently, there's a recent article titled "The Best Value Shoes and Boots at Just About Every (Reasonable) Price Range," and Ben writes this of Tricker's:

Stitchdown said:
I just don’t get why more people in the US aren’t more deeply into Tricker’s. The Northampton, England maker has been making some of the world’s most seriously built Goodyear welted shoes and boots since 1829—1829!—and every pair I own appears to be wholly indestructible. Tricker’s basically invented the country boot, whose heritage continues today in its iconic Stow boot as well as its shoe brethren, the inimitable Bourton brogue shoe...

...Why It’s a Great Value: Generally found starting under $500, there’s almost no way to get more shoe with more heritage squeezed into it for your money. And Tricker’s Outlet sells seconds and discontinued styles for often incredible prices, as cheap as $250.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I've always really liked that makeup, @Crafty Cumbrian, and wish I would have picked it up in my size. How does that 2298 compare to 4497S? They have a pair in stock a half-size larger than my 4497S boots. And the last 4497S I picked up (their Tramping Boots in Color 8 Dublin) are more fitted than my 4497S Stows -- if this fit similarly, I might be able to make a 7 work.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
2298 is narrower not shorter so general consensus is stay same size as 4497s due to possible heel slip. That said half size up can be managed by thicker socks or heel pads, not that I’m advocating either. I have a coulple of pairs half size up but I generally wear thickish socks anyway.
I snagged these off Grailed after one wear the guy thought was too narrow, DR makeups look better but on the whole may be less wearable to many as a consequence of last choice.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@RogerKaputnik, here you go -- after about eight good wears -- with attempts at capturing them in sunlight, shade, and in between:

View attachment 1564734

View attachment 1564732

View attachment 1564733

View attachment 1564735

View attachment 1564736

View attachment 1564737

View attachment 1564738

My love for Dublin started with a Coronado Leather backpack and sleeve portfolio made of this Horween hide. Even after only moderate use, Dublin leather is like inheriting an heirloom without the crumbling of age. For those of you not familiar with it, this is the Division Road × Tricker's Tramping Boot in Horween Color 8 Dublin.

I guess I should have guessed from the low-profile toe that it was unstructured or partially structured, but I didn't so it was a pleasant surprise to me. (Division Road says nothing about the toe of this makeup.) I never thought I'd like unstructured toes, but then I picked up a couple of unstructured-toe Viberg makeups and get the appeal.

If you're the type who likes only gentle rolls or a hide that maintains a glassier outward appearance, Dublin's not for you. Dublin is, again, for someone who wants the look of antique boots without the disrepair or deterioration. Of the many types of boots I like, that look is among them. This pair convinced me I need some Vibergs in Dublin, too, so I just ordered their Spice Dublin Service Boots the other day.

With respect to sizing, I own two Tricker's Stow makeups in 4497S, and this Tramping Boot (which is also 4997S) seems a touch more snug. My C-Shade Tan Stow is the roomiest, allowing me to wear either medium cushion or full cushion Darn Tough socks. My Burgundy Cross Hatch Stow is not quite as roomy -- with the full cushion Darn Toughs they're a bit too snug for me (but perfect with medium cushion). And this Tramping Boot is a touch more snug than the Cross Hatch. Based on my experience, I'd still recommend sizing the same as you normally do for Tricker's 4497S boots, but it might be a touch more close-fitting than you're used to from 4497S (if my experience is any indication).

Anyway, @RogerKaputnik, I hope these photos will do for now.
Inspired by your post, I actually bit the bullet on this pair and am very excited to receive them. Any idea how the leather behaves in the wet? I hear that veg tanned leather tends to darken and so people advise not getting it wet, but that seems the antithesis of the idea behind a tramping boot. :)

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with two pairs of shoes made of Horween's Natural Essex, Dublin's much lighter sister, is that rain initially darkens the leather. In fact it leaves great, dark, blobs behind. It dries out very quickly, though and the leather return to almost normal. I have read a number of times not to wear veg tan boots/shoes in the rain for the first month but I am not completely sure of the rationale behind this. Where I live, it would be difficult to predict a day without rain.

In terms of care, I was advised, by Horween, to wipe them down with a damp cloth and use the occasional dab of cream on them, which is what I have done.

As you know, veg-tanned leather darkens fairly quickly, anyway, so it becomes difficult to know what is the effect of rain and what is a normal change of colour. Even inside the house, you can almost sit and watch the darkening taking place.

Mr Kaputnik, your boots are fabulous and if - like Mr Spud - I hadn't just ordered my last ever pair of boots, I would love some of those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads