• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Chunky auld soles on these chukkas..
3EE34DFC-C87A-4CA9-94ED-7304F3E72FC6.jpeg

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but considering a pair of Rannoch boots (not quite yet, I’ve just bought a pair of loafers today) and I know a few of you have them. I was wondering about sizing. I’m a 7.5 in 4444 & 4497 6 width, and an 8 in most other things - Trickers, EG, C&J etc, would I be a 7.5 or an 8 in the Rannoch boots, in your experience?

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of Chukka boots, I got myself a pair from a maker called George Lyon that arrived yesterday. Cost me USD 345. First impressions are positive. The box came with a matching belt ( that's the USP here ), two nice shoe bags, spare laces and also a tiny plastic shoe horn.

First up the leather is apparently from Tanneries D'Annonay ( I couldn't find that on the maker's site, but was mentioned in some review videos on YouTube ), but I am not sure about what grade. It smelt a little more chemically treated than say the beautiful leather smell of my Cheaney's, but felt quite soft at the vamp and forefoot. I don't foresee much of a problem with the break in. Shoe says made in Spain. There are some bits over the leather where the colour doesn't match, but I am not expert enough to know why that may be the case, and at the same time not too worried that it means the leather is bad etc etc, and certainly doesn't look like something that won't polish out. The idea behind the belt is that it is hard to get belts in a leather that match your shoes, so why not just pack them together. Highlight and reason why I bought it was the Ridgeway sole, and Norwegian welt given the weather here in Norway. First wear around the house was quite good, the in sole was far more comfortable than I imagined and the ridgeway sole needs no introductions. The fit pretty much much mirrors the Coniston, i.e last 325.

I think beyond that, I enjoyed communicating with the owner, Josh, who responded very quickly and was super helpful when it came to shipping and ordering. This appears to be a passion project of his, and I get the sense he is really into it. As a small business owner myself I'm actually quite glad I ordered from him if only because it helps his business grow order by order and help improve his product in time. He has a pair of boots that I quite liked the look of as well. I think all in all, quite pleased with this order and looking forward to breaking it in and see what becomes of the shoes in time. If anyone is looking for a fun distraction, check out https://www.georgelyonshoes.com/

@Crafty Cumbrian & @Munky : Quite liking the look of your pairs. ;-)

IMG_1528.JPG

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but considering a pair of Rannoch boots (not quite yet, I’ve just bought a pair of loafers today) and I know a few of you have them. I was wondering about sizing. I’m a 7.5 in 4444 & 4497 6 width, and an 8 in most other things - Trickers, EG, C&J etc, would I be a 7.5 or an 8 in the Rannoch boots, in your experience?
I’d go same size as 4444. I’m 8.5 and fit perfect in that and 4444, 9 in everything else.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
On the subject of Chukka boots, I got myself a pair from a maker called George Lyon that arrived yesterday. Cost me USD 345. First impressions are positive. The box came with a matching belt ( that's the USP here ), two nice shoe bags, spare laces and also a tiny plastic shoe horn.

First up the leather is apparently from Tanneries D'Annonay ( I couldn't find that on the maker's site, but was mentioned in some review videos on YouTube ), but I am not sure about what grade. It smelt a little more chemically treated than say the beautiful leather smell of my Cheaney's, but felt quite soft at the vamp and forefoot. I don't foresee much of a problem with the break in. Shoe says made in Spain. There are some bits over the leather where the colour doesn't match, but I am not expert enough to know why that may be the case, and at the same time not too worried that it means the leather is bad etc etc, and certainly doesn't look like something that won't polish out. The idea behind the belt is that it is hard to get belts in a leather that match your shoes, so why not just pack them together. Highlight and reason why I bought it was the Ridgeway sole, and Norwegian welt given the weather here in Norway. First wear around the house was quite good, the in sole was far more comfortable than I imagined and the ridgeway sole needs no introductions. The fit pretty much much mirrors the Coniston, i.e last 325.

I think beyond that, I enjoyed communicating with the owner, Josh, who responded very quickly and was super helpful when it came to shipping and ordering. This appears to be a passion project of his, and I get the sense he is really into it. As a small business owner myself I'm actually quite glad I ordered from him if only because it helps his business grow order by order and help improve his product in time. He has a pair of boots that I quite liked the look of as well. I think all in all, quite pleased with this order and looking forward to breaking it in and see what becomes of the shoes in time. If anyone is looking for a fun distraction, check out https://www.georgelyonshoes.com/

@Crafty Cumbrian & @Munky : Quite liking the look of your pairs. ;-)

View attachment 1541575
Look Cheaney esque...nice.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah quite decent shape, even if I do prefer a more rounded toe. I will write in again after a few wears to let you know how it is. The leather isn't Cheaney level I would say, but quite supple at the forefoot...
I think you are right about supporting small businesses. I have found it interesting to work with Jadd of Jadd shoes. As he makes his shoes from the ground up and each pair to order, he is very accommodating about making changes. For me, he has made the facings wider apart - something I have had problems with for years. With most of my shoes, the facings either meet or try to overlap each other. Also, Jadd uses high quality leather and his sewing and finishing are top notch. A really nice guy and a very skilled one.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Rannoch boots are made by Cheaney for Hoggs of Fife. Nine hole with speed hooks. They are similar to the Pennine but in Zug leather and with hooks instead of holes at the top.

I have the Pennine and they are not very good if you have a high instep. There is insufficient leather in the quarters and they don’t lace up tight. There is a gap with a lot of tongue visible as you move up the boot.The laces supplied are too short anyway but that is an easier issue to address.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads