• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Really nice, could you let me know the Last of those amazing logger boots ? Very tempted to get some but it depends if’it’s on 4444 or 4497s...
Pretty sure it’s 4497s...

I’ll check the box in a minute...

fits like that anyway.

noiscape

Reaction score
I’d be surprised if it was 4444, pretty unusual on boots. Henry us...anywho I’ll make my way to the East entrance...

I bought Kelmscott boots that was on the 4444 but you’re right, guess it’s 4497s as most Trickers boots

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's a crapshoot as to what last is used with the low logger. I have two pairs on 4444, one on 13501, and one on 4497.

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Deerskin after my siesta..these are COMFORTABLE!
42E44AF5-BF7D-446C-B8F4-4257FAC46E61.jpeg

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deerskin after my siesta..these are COMFORTABLE!
View attachment 1479561

**** those look gorgeous. I am getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger. The price is fantastic, the comfort out of the box seeing quite high and Trickers suggests that the leather itself is very durable so kinda makes sense. Now I am regretting the pair of C&Js I just bought a week ago. #facepalm I wonder how these will patina actually.

Separately, since you mentioned burnishing. What happens is you muck up the burnishing exactly? I was of the opinion that is primarily the finish. Does this mean that I strip away the colour that is infused into the leather?

Also what is this I hear about your MTO?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Burnishing is basically some dark polish applied to add highlights. It’s relatively easy to remove it by accident if you’re not careful since all polishes contain some solvent. You can add it back. The tough part is making it look good.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
**** those look gorgeous. I am getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger. The price is fantastic, the comfort out of the box seeing quite high and Trickers suggests that the leather itself is very durable so kinda makes sense. Now I am regretting the pair of C&Js I just bought a week ago. #facepalm I wonder how these will patina actually.

Separately, since you mentioned burnishing. What happens is you muck up the burnishing exactly? I was of the opinion that is primarily the finish. Does this mean that I strip away the colour that is infused into the leather?

Also what is this I hear about your MTO?
Many questions sir Spud...

I’m not the shoe car aficionado so my understanding of burnishing is its retro added to give a different affect to the core leather. Patina to toe and heel etc. If you’re too keen with the nourishing cream that can remove it..
If you fcuk it up you’ve basically to add it via different colour polishes yourself.
The mto we did was a forest green Horween cxl Eaton.. on a ridgeway sole..

May be one left I’m not sure. I’ll on the details to you.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burnishing is basically some dark polish applied to add highlights. It’s relatively easy to remove it by accident if you’re not careful since all polishes contain some solvent. You can add it back. The tough part is making it look good.
Ah gotcha. Thanks for that. I guess to maintain lustre. I'm interested to see how the Cafe Burnished stow leather ages as I use it. Mostly curious about how much it will soften over time and use, versus a veg tan leather for example.

Many questions sir Spud...

I’m not the shoe car aficionado so my understanding of burnishing is its retro added to give a different affect to the core leather. Patina to toe and heel etc. If you’re too keen with the nourishing cream that can remove it..
If you fcuk it up you’ve basically to add it via different colour polishes yourself.
The mto we did was a forest green Horween cxl Eaton.. on a ridgeway sole..

May be one left I’m not sure. I’ll on the details to you.
Think of me as but a child who only seeks knowledge as I move over to the dark side. :p

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about removing the burnishing on the cafe ones. They're already so dark you can barely tell there's any burnishing there.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stepped out of my comfort zone today and reduced the bright redness of my red Tricker Bourton's. They were so red, I could only go out in them if I was having a hypomanic episode.

First I gave them a good brushing. Then I used two thin coats of Saphir Hermes Red, a much more muted red cream. Finally, I used one coat of Collonil Burgundy cream. Between coatings, I gave the shoes a good brushing and (obviously) a final good brushing.

Overall, the effect was good. I found that the Burgundy was a bit streaky but I quickly resolved this with the help of a micro cloth duster. I used this to remove darker streaks and it worked well. I removed any remaining burgundy cream from the brogue holes with Q-Tips. A final, final brushing made them look very good. They are still red but not nearly as bright red as they were. At a later date I might mute them a little more by using the burgundy cream again. I want to do this incrementally as I don't want to reduce the colour to a burgundy. I think I will aim for a shade of 'conker'. That's as daring as my shoe care goes for the moment. Tomorrow, I am back to plain but regular brushing. With all good wishes, Munky. [cross posted with the shoe care thread]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads