• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Mallaig

Reaction score
After..

decided on double JR leather sole, toe plates and topy covers...

Arrive back tomorrow after insanely fast turnaround from The Shoe Healer team.
View attachment 1439309
Crafty, are the soles being done by Shoe Healer ? And, if I may ask, how much does a sole change cost ? I asked Trickers about replacing a dainite sole with commando and they quoted me GBP 150.

princealbert

Reaction score
Crafty, are the soles being done by Shoe Healer ? And, if I may ask, how much does a sole change cost ? I asked Trickers about replacing a dainite sole with commando and they quoted me GBP 150.

shoe healer have done some excellent work for me and changed the soles on several pairs of shoes. Can’t remember the exact cost but it was less than £150. More like £100 / £110 I think. Crafty will have up to date info.I honestly think their work is as good as you would get from the factory and quicker turnaround.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Arrived home..
94914B96-201F-48BB-AD4F-3A66E72BE80E.jpeg

Pedlar

Reaction score
Regarding "no through" or "Thru" as they say....this is from 2 years ago.
Thanks for digging this out, @rob80bboots. I think I saw this last year when I began to be bothered about it but since then I’d lost track of what I’d read and was no longer sure if beefing up the through was possible. I’m adding my Stows to my re-soling list ... but behind pairs where actual wear necessitates some work.

Here’s a small “thru-less” anecdote: I had about nine months or so of wear on my hatch grain Stows when a picture I posted here prompted me to look at the lacing and decide that perhaps I was wearing them too loosely. So I tightened them up – not with any huge tugs, but aiming for a more hiking boot-like snugness.

But an evidently too-vigorous pull produced what felt like a sudden flexing in the Dainite sole of one boot, then a discomfort in the side of my foot just ahead of my heel.

These had been very comfortable boots but now were less so, especially when I wore them for more than a few hours. I was not very happy about this.

It took another bunch of wears before I figured out what was going on – the heel counter, which wraps around and fairly far up the side, apparently had bent inward. I was able to bend it back out and matters seem to resolve — enough so that the Stows were the only footwear I took on a several day trip just before the pandemic descended. Wearing them for three days in a row was a great footwear experience; they are truly excellent boots.

I just don’t tighten them so much now. And I hope to someday experience them with a thicker sole.

Comparison with a double leather sole Bourton:

3576581A-96B6-4DC8-B8AA-A42E7DD33224.jpeg

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads