• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Regarding "no through" or "Thru" as they say....this is from 2 years ago.

You are entirely correct Sir, a 'Through' or 'Thru' is a Middle Sole. On most Tricker's and depending on which model and which type of 'Outsole' is fitted, a 'Leather' Thru' of around 2 - 3mm is fitted. Just for information, it is also possible to have a 'Half' Thru' fitted on MTO, and depending on personal preference or which Outsole is fitted, a Microfoam Rubber Thru' is sometimes used too. Microfoam Rubber Thru' are usually fitted when the Outsole is 'Bonded' in place rather than Stitched. Example; the Vibram Rubber 'Gumlite' Sole. :)

Thanks Richard! Always good to have your input on these shoe construction type issues :)

Most welcome Sir, always happy to help if I can :)

You know for what it worth and always personal preferences considered too, being in the repairs business we modify a lot of shoes from leather to Dainite soles, and I always consider a Dainite or 'hard' Rubber sole always sits better on top of a Thru, wether it is leather or microfoam rubber. For me, they add a little more durability and comfort.

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Was doing a search on Olivvia leather and came across these .....Black Eaton in Deerskin made for Proconsol in Los Angeles.
View attachment 1438883
Don't believe Crafty has a pair of these.....yet :smile:
Weirdly someone on Instagram tagged these recently and were out of my size. I’ve the deerskin Burford and super soft. Longevity not so sure on..

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Weirdly someone on Instagram tagged these recently and were out of my size. ......
Ah...then your off the hook. :tongue:

.........I’ve the deerskin Burford and super soft. Longevity not so sure on..
....then I believe those are also minus the "Thru" as discussed earlier.....which may or may not affect longevity....any opinion...specifically underfoot.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

....then I believe those are also minus the "Thru" as discussed earlier.....which may or may not affect longevity....any opinion...specifically underfoot.

I would have thought longevity should be the same as it’s the same sole unit.

I do wonder if the flexibility it brings could lead to increased creasing of the upper. I know for example that I have heard that shell footwear on a leather sole tends to get more rolls than Dainite soled shoes due to it being more flexible. Not sure how true this is.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
I would have thought longevity should be the same as it’s the same sole unit.

I do wonder if the flexibility it brings could lead to increased creasing of the upper. I know for example that I have heard that shell footwear on a leather sole tends to get more rolls than Dainite soled shoes due to it being more flexible. Not sure how true this is.

I would think with the same care they should last equally as long....
As for the creasing, a boot or shoe needs to to flex otherwise walking would be uncomfortable at best, without the use of shoe trees I'm sure the thinner sole will have a tendency to curl easier while drying and more so if it is of all leather construction.
Contrary to many opinions I'm finding the Dainite are the stiffer of the bunch and was expecting my new Sheene to be even stiffer with the Commando but discovering it lacks a "Thru" (third 2-3mm middle layer) as discussed earlier answered that question...not too sure they reduce roll though.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Before...
4A9A548A-0981-45DB-8AC0-4B9304973105.jpeg

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score

My comment was more to do with how fine the deerskin felt..that said if I wore them in the current rotation they’d never wear out!!
When I wear them I find them super comfortable and haven’t noticed any difference with the soles to be fair.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Good deal but note they have the thinner soles like has been discussed lately.
The museum calf Bourtons I got from 6pm several weeks ago also have the thinner soles. About 9mm versus about 13mm for most Bourtons.

Might be thinner but appears to have the 3rd "Thru" layer.
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 8.02.09 PM.png

My Sheenes also came from 6PM but through Amazon, 3rd "Thru" layer is obviously absent.
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 8.08.27 PM.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads