• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a pair of AS from a group order and my name was written on the inside like that. Same neat printing.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea, an eBay special. Inside they just say "DARREN JOHNS", I don't know if this is the model or the customer. The leather is like butter and they fit me really well. They have a fiddled back and a Dainite sole. One of my fave pairs. They looked a bit plain in flat brown but have started to pop with a little polish. View attachment 1436810

They look really nice. AS exclusive is meant to be a really high standard I believe.

Mallaig

Reaction score
Anyone have the Ilkleys? Do they fit the same as the Bourtons?

I’ve got a strong desire for a Bourton In a grained leather with commando soles. So a black Ilkley would be good or maybe a green scotch grain and change the sole.
Probably muddied the water with the way I phrased this question.

Anyone have experience with Ilkley and Bourton ? How would you compare them ?

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a Bourton and used to have the Ilkley also.

just the same shoe in different leathers and soles really.

Ilkley is very sturdy.

Fit should be identical.

Pedlar

Reaction score

I have a Bourton and used to have the Ilkley also.

just the same shoe in different leathers and soles really.

Ilkley is very sturdy.

Fit should be identical.
What @Reiver said.

I have Bourtons and Ilkley and they are the same shoe in different materials. I wear them all in the same size.

That said, my Ilkley fits about like my marron Bourton, while my kudu Bourton is quite a bit looser (requires thicker socks).

And Ilkley’s sole and Zug/neo-Zug make for a very stiff shoe. I enjoy them but think I have many miles to go before true break-in. Wearing them for work in wet grass eased them a bit.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What @Reiver said.

I have Bourtons and Ilkley and they are the same shoe in different materials. I wear them all in the same size.

That said, my Ilkley fits about like my marron Bourton, while my kudu Bourton is quite a bit looser (requires thicker socks).

And Ilkley’s sole and Zug/neo-Zug make for a very stiff shoe. I enjoy them but think I have many miles to go before true break-in. Wearing them for work in wet grass eased them a bit.

Ha ha, when I first got mine I thought they felt comfortable so decided just to go for it and take them for a reasonable length walk. Terrible idea!

About a mile away from home they started hurting my heels and I ended up hobbling back home.

I actually contemplated walking barefoot, baring in mind this was in December. Never again!

They did break in nicely in the end though. Needed about a two week break from them though which was disappointing.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with the C shade Gorse leather? I’m possibly interested in the wide fit models, Keswick or Malton which come in this leather.

I like the colour, just wondering if it’s a nice leather and aged well really.

Mallaig

Reaction score
Ha ha, when I first got mine I thought they felt comfortable so decided just to go for it and take them for a reasonable length walk. Terrible idea!

About a mile away from home they started hurting my heels and I ended up hobbling back home.

I actually contemplated walking barefoot, baring in mind this was in December. Never again!

They did break in nicely in the end though. Needed about a two week break from them though which was disappointing.
ouch

Mallaig

Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with the C shade Gorse leather? I’m possibly interested in the wide fit models, Keswick or Malton which come in this leather.

I like the colour, just wondering if it’s a nice leather and aged well really.
I have a pair of lightly used Keswicks in C Shade UK8.5 that are too big for me. Let me know if interested.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of lightly used Keswicks in C Shade UK8.5 that are too big for me. Let me know if interested.

Unfortunately I’d probably need a UK 10 I think.

How does the leather look after some light wear? I saw a pair on eBay and one shoe had very prominent creasing. Probably hadn’t used shoe trees though

Pedlar

Reaction score
Ha ha, when I first got mine I thought they felt comfortable so decided just to go for it and ...
They are true heavy duty footwear…Maybe not to the extreme of my Limmer boots, but along the same spectrum in terms of sheer armorclad impenetrability and reluctance to accede to anything as simple as a mere human foot. I think they’re fantastic.

However.... I ordered some suede derbys today for those times when I’m looking for a less dramatic footwear experience.

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Crafty Eatons...
47DB5E76-4212-4711-ADB3-77961479362B.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads