• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Mallaig

Reaction score
Hi Munky,

If you have a low instep, I suggest trying either a tongue pad or half insole.

Not sure if you used a tongue pad before, something like:
You can find it on amazon or local cobblers as well, but I suggest to use the suede ones, more comfortable and better quality

Half insole would work better than full insole if you don't want to squeeze the room in the toe box. I have pinky toe issue so full insole doesn't work for me.

Otherwise, you can try arch support pads.
This is a great insight. I've had some success with half insoles. Never tried tongue pads.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Munky,

If you have a low instep, I suggest trying either a tongue pad or half insole.

Not sure if you used a tongue pad before, something like:
You can find it on amazon or local cobblers as well, but I suggest to use the suede ones, more comfortable and better quality

Half insole would work better than full insole if you don't want to squeeze the room in the toe box. I have pinky toe issue so full insole doesn't work for me.

Otherwise, you can try arch support pads.

Yes, thanks, Encore. Over the years I have tried lots of combinations of tongue pads and arch supports, including some homemade efforts! Nothing has really worked and I am sort of resigned to shoes that fit 'reasonably' well - some better than others. My next effort is to try a narrower pair of shoes. Thanks again and with best wishes, Munky.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks, Encore. Over the years I have tried lots of combinations of tongue pads and arch supports, including some homemade efforts! Nothing has really worked and I am sort of resigned to shoes that fit 'reasonably' well - some better than others. My next effort is to try a narrower pair of shoes. Thanks again and with best wishes, Munky.
I guess we are sharing the same experience.

I have low instep + flat feet. I need to avoid shoes with high instep or narrow waist (if my feet doesn't sit properly on the waist, it will push the inner side of the shoes, even if the instep is not high, and then the flat/ fat waist look is horrible). Also, I try to stay away from oxfords and loafers (or at least for my first purchase on a new brand). Derbies are usually more forgiving on the instep.

I tried combinations of tongue pad/ half sole/ orthotics, it sometiimes work and sometime it doesn't ?‍♂️

Ideally, I think I need a good arch support + low instep last.

alantrickman

Reaction score
Does anyone like the look of kilties on their Trickers? I quite like them...Might grab a pair for my PS Bourtons...

nikolau

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Does anyone happen to own both a pair of Trickers in on the 4497S last, and a pair from Enzo Bonafe on his 74945 last?

It would be exceedingly helpful to get a comparison between the two.

dangerous

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Does anyone happen to own both a pair of Trickers in on the 4497S last, and a pair from Enzo Bonafe on his 74945 last?

It would be exceedingly helpful to get a comparison between the two.

Hi.

Yes, I do own multiple pairs of 74945 but only two pairs of 4497S.

I do, however, not own any pairs in the same size as my 74945 are 9.5-10 and my 4497S are 10.5...

The instep is a lot higher on the 74945. It is probably a bit longer, and is smaller than the 4444 Bourtons in the same size.

I can supply some pictures later, but like i said - different sizes in the lasts.

alantrickman

Reaction score
I'm not too keen on the Vibram sole. I wouldn't mind doing a shoe though if that's what the majority wants.

I would also rather avoid any crazy linings so we can avoid a binding :)

Let me know what you guys think!

Sorry for my lack of info as I'm fairly new to shoes like these, but what is a binding? And why is it better to avoid it?

rob80bboots

Reaction score

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Paul Smith anyone?

As stated above...may have myself a pair on the way. (don't ask me why lol).. but I'll be curious as to how the same size in a 4444 lasts works out as all my 4497's start with a bit tightness around the top of the foot....took forever for my derby shoes to break in and if they are too big won't mind adding an insert if necessary.

Last edited:

rob80bboots

Reaction score
As you say, unfortunately looking for 9 uk. Good thinking though...
try again
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 12.27.46 PM.png

UK9 is available in the Paul Smith Stows. It's the only size available and there is only one left.
ditto

....odd thing though as one has to use the direct url as a search on Paul Smith does not bring up the Stow....???

Last edited:

alantrickman

Reaction score

Yes, I noticed that as well. I could access them through your link, but not from the site. I think they had sold out, and then a pair must have been returned and added to the inventory.

For those that want the UK9, best to hurry to it. UK and US stores share the same stock.

LippyLee

Reaction score
Yes, I noticed that as well. I could access them through your link, but not from the site. I think they had sold out, and then a pair must have been returned and added to the inventory.

For those that want the UK9, best to hurry to it. UK and US stores share the same stock.
Great work fella! Went straight to site and searched Trickers, no Stows showing. Followed your UK link and there they were, just the 9s, perfect. My son’s going to be one happy chap! Hearty thanks for the heads up ?

LippyLee

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads