• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Phoenician

Reaction score
It’s just how they lace. I never go all the way to the top anyway and even if the last one is crossed you’ll never see them on the foot. This isn’t me minimising you’re displeasure just pointing out the relative value especially on sale items versus changing a lacing pattern.

I hear you, I understand you're not minimizing anything and appreciate your thoughts. I just wish they were upfront about this; as she said they 'recommend' it. Where? If they would have something on their website stating this, or in a phamplet, or at least just lacing the boots this way when the arrive. My laces on both pair were just thrown in the boxes next to the boots themselves for me to lace. Anyway, on to more pressing things in life :p

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not excusing Tricker's in any way for manufacturing defects nor unspoken recommendations, but all of the display shoes are using bar lacing.

princealbert

Reaction score
That’s an interesting response from Trickers. Although I tend to use bar lacing I would expect the facings on a properly constructed pair of boots to accept any of the commonly used lacing formats. It drives me nuts when the facings don’t align properly.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not excusing Tricker's in any way for manufacturing defects nor unspoken recommendations, but all of the display shoes are using bar lacing.

I expect a lot of people will be familiar with this shoe lacing site but if you aren't, it's well worth a visit.

It covers a huge number of styles of shoe lacing and has a useful device that displays how you lace the various forms. Ian, who runs the site, illustrates the 'shoe shop', bar method, which displays the shoes at their best in the shop. I think that probably all new shoes are laced with a particular bar method. Ian's own preference is for the 'over under' which, he claims, puts less strain on the facings and keeps those facings more in line with each other. He shows, too, how lacing three eyelet rows sometimes differs from four. This is the case with the over under method. My preference, these days, is for this style of lacing, It is different to the 'criss cross' method although - confusingly - it does leave a pleasing series of crossed laces.

This method also makes it easier to undo and pull up the laces and keeps the lacing and the shoes more in line.

The particular one to avoid is probably the traditional shoe shop lacing, where one side of the lace goes straight from the bottom eyelet, on one side, to the top eyelet on the other. The remaining, long-length of lace is then threaded across the shoes in a bar formation. This method puts a lot of strain on the facings and general equilibrium of the shoes. Looks good in the window and in boxes, though. I know that there are various and much better versions of bar lacing.

You need to go to Ian's site to make any sense of this! Yours, Munky

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Richard on crepe, kudu suede. Was going to go double JR but may leave on crepe till it wears.
B10DAB48-5CD0-414E-9363-5A95C1DBC0D9.jpeg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Crafty, you need some of them moss green suede Bourtons or Stows so you coordinate with the ground. When you look down, you'll just see jeans then nothing because they blend so well.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Crafty, you need some of them moss green suede Bourtons or Stows so you coordinate with the ground. When you look down, you'll just see jeans then nothing because they blend so well.
They are a nice colour.. see what uk matches do...
Ive a few incomers this week so will see if I can avoid Mrs Crafty...

Kiwijohn

Reaction score
lovely. How do you find the fit of the Richard to the Woodstock?.
Been thinking about an MTO Woodstock with Navy suede and a possible Ridgeway sole. Woodstocks seem to fit far better than my Stows in the same size. Really like 'em.
Next pair of Stows I get I'll size down 1/2 size as too much room in the vamp.

nikolau

Reaction score
Folks- in Stow boots is pinky toe rub indicative of a fit issue, or just a normal part of the break in process? I would appreciate hearing your experiences in the matter.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks- in Stow boots is pinky toe rub indicative of a fit issue, or just a normal part of the break in process? I would appreciate hearing your experiences in the matter.

I had this a little bit with mine. Has eased now but they still feel a touch narrower than ideal for me. They are comfortable with thin socks though.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The heels on my Stow were really uncomfortable when I first got them. They felt like they were completely the wrong shape for me, but they broke in absolutely fine.

Didn’t have this problem at all with my C&J boots which felt almost perfect immediately.

Not a problem with the Trickers I don’t think, just down to individual feet most likely. Some report almost no break in with the Stow.

I find the break in process quite satisfying really when they get more and more comfortable each time.

nikolau

Reaction score
I had this a little bit with mine. Has eased now but they still feel a touch narrower than ideal for me. They are comfortable with thin socks though.

In 11.5s, my foot is quite comfortably held in place by the shoe sans the pinky rub. I’m concerned that I may experience heel slip in the 12- which is an unfortunate feature of my size 12 Appletons from the city line. Otherwise, they’re just a spectacularly well executed cap toe oxford IMHO.

I appreciate your insight here @Reiver.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
lovely. How do you find the fit of the Richard to the Woodstock?.
Been thinking about an MTO Woodstock with Navy suede and a possible Ridgeway sole. Woodstocks seem to fit far better than my Stows in the same size. Really like 'em.
Next pair of Stows I get I'll size down 1/2 size as too much room in the vamp.
Far narrower. Not sure if these were an mto for a store as got off eBay . Initially I thought they’d not work but as they’re suede they were soft enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads