• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the clarification. @rob80bboots @zippyh
Yeah other than this Khaki pair, I am also looking at the one from Abbot's place, 280 GBP (and has a 10% first time coupon)
View attachment 1399797

Both good price. Just hesitate to pull the trigger due to the covid and the season.
I first found the casual Stow look from ins (something like below), and have been admiring them for a while, they are sexy.
View attachment 1399798

I'm about 99% sure those are the standard Marron Stows. It's harder to find a great deal on the stock models.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen their offerings on Ebay.........and this one is on my watch list.....
View attachment 1399807 They have it .........listed as a Grassmere but it's actually a Roy (if not mistaken) but has a pointier toe similar to the Calvert, and blind eyelets.
Also the soles are leather and I'm(was) looking for a commando.

Those are Calverts. Style number 7975 is the Calvert. Should be on the 81 last.

Roy is on 4537. Or at least these are.

Navy cordovan Roy.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Are you saying the Abbot one is the standard Marron Stow? (sorry not sure what "standard marron" means) And the Standard Marron ones are better?

Tricker's has "stock" models that are available from most retailers season after season. They also do seasonal models which are fairly widely available from many retailers but only for a limited time. Finally, they do models which are custom specified by a retailer or designer and are typically unique and only available from them.

Those Abbot ones are stock marron Stows so widely available.

The seasonal ones and the custom spec ones are usually found at good discounts during sale season. I assume since they're always available, the stock models don't go on sale as often or as deeply discounted.

Hint: pretty much anything you see with a natural welt is going to be a custom spec model (or from the outlet).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ok.... took the info from here as they looked the same.

Oh yeah, definitely look the same.
I was curious what they were and looked at the style number on my Calverts.
Also looked up details of my Roys which were a GMTO. I'm not 100% sure the 4537 is the standard last for the Roy. But it's what was used for the GMTO.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My problem with my Bourtons has always been at the other end of the shoes. Each pair slips at the heel a bit - especially my right heel. I can understand the last bit as our feet are not necessarily identical in size. I have realised that, over time, the heels slip less. My theory is that the soles of these shoes are so thick that they need 'bending' quite a bit, over time and thus take a long time to break in.

Also, I have to wear insoles in Bourtons as i sit between two shoes sizes. If you do have to go down the insole route, it is worth noting that they need to be changed for new ones, fairly regularly. I know that purists would tell me that if I need to use insoles, my shoes don't fit. This much is self evident. In my view, the insoles help to make them fit.

My apologies if I have posted most of this before. I am getting to the age when I repeat myself most of the time. I am getting to the age when I repeat myself most of the time. With best wishes, Munky.

Great post Munky.

My left foot is a tad smaller than the right one and definitely has a slimmer heel ball, maybe is because I am right handed and my left side is weaker.

What I have learned during this quarantine time is that if I use my harder (or smaller) shoes with thick socks inside my house (view it as a controlled enviroment) the sweat and the pressure softens the shoes. My wife finds hilarious my looks (highly shinned oxfords with track suits or heavy boots for walking 20 meters). I called it "controlled enviroment" because I can take the shoes off any moment.

Well, I believe that is what people call "breaking in" the shoes.

Cheers

Last edited:

Phoenician

Reaction score
Interesting email exchange with Tricker's customer service; emailed them that I received my two pairs of Stows that I ordered. One is terrific; the other when laced, has the eyelets off kilter on one boot when laced in the most common criss-cross method. The response was that they recommend the bar method on their country line and sent me a 22 second obscure YouTube video on how to do it. "Recommend"? where is that stated on the website? I've never seen a manufacturer recommend a lacing method or it wouldn't look right. Why would it be that I can lace up my C&J, AS and every other brand I own anyway I want, but Tricker's dictates which method you have to use so you won't have wonky eyelets. Seems like a manufacturing issue they're aware of, and as Crafty noted, they're using the bar method to minimize the visual impact of their manufacturing and quality control flaws.

Ugh. not what I was hoping to hear from Tricker's and will likely make this my last pair I order unfortunately.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Interesting email exchange with Tricker's customer service; emailed them that I received my two pairs of Stows that I ordered. One is terrific; the other when laced, has the eyelets off kilter on one boot when laced in the most common criss-cross method. The response was that they recommend the bar method on their country line and sent me a 22 second obscure YouTube video on how to do it. "Recommend"? where is that stated on the website? I've never seen a manufacturer recommend a lacing method or it wouldn't look right. Why would it be that I can lace up my C&J, AS and every other brand I own anyway I want, but Tricker's dictates which method you have to use so you won't have wonky eyelets. Seems like a manufacturing issue they're aware of, and as Crafty noted, they're using the bar method to minimize the visual impact of their manufacturing and quality control flaws.

Ugh. not what I was hoping to hear from Tricker's and will likely make this my last pair I order unfortunately.
I’d try the bar method as aesthetically I find it more pleasing anyway, kill two birds. That’s why I changed not due to QC.

Phoenician

Reaction score
I’d try the bar method as aesthetically I find it more pleasing anyway, kill two birds. That’s why I changed not due to QC.

I like the look of the bar method just fine, but it's a little less ideal with an odd number of eyelets. I think this is nothing more than them being aware of QC issues and using the bar method to minimize the look of it, instead of getting better QC. "hey, we're aware our car's paint doesn't stand up to the rain, so only drive it when the sun is out. Problem solved!" ;)

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I like the look of the bar method just fine, but it's a little less ideal with an odd number of eyelets. I think this is nothing more than them being aware of QC issues and using the bar method to minimize the look of it, instead of getting better QC. "hey, we're aware our car's paint doesn't stand up to the rain, so only drive it when the sun is out. Problem solved!" ;)
It’s just how they lace. I never go all the way to the top anyway and even if the last one is crossed you’ll never see them on the foot. This isn’t me minimising you’re displeasure just pointing out the relative value especially on sale items versus changing a lacing pattern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads