• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How much in import fees do you usually end up paying for boots from UK to CA? And do those amazon import fees include your local taxes?

rob80bboots

Reaction score
How much in import fees do you usually end up paying for boots from UK to CA? And do those amazon import fees include your local taxes?

So far none and in some cases shipping is included in the price. : )

...and yes in this case Amazon is adding on local taxes and "extra processing fees" besides the shipping. If items are shipped USPS they go through more often than not with no added fees but that's not a guarantee... unlike UPS and FedEx which always add duties, taxes and their brokerage fees.

Ebay's new Global shipment (import charges)is also to be avoided if possible, adding on unnecessary costs, ask the the shipper to just ship post and you handle any expenditures.

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 1.30.40 PM.png

If Canada Post does process a USPS shipment that doesn't have prepaid duties/taxes there is a nominal $10 fee plus 13% HST here in Ontario but in almost 2 decades of buying I've yet to have that happen even with big ticket items from Ebay or similar sites.

leparrain7

Reaction score
And their prices can be phenomenally low. I bought a pair of acorn stow from someone on eBay at well below Trickers sale prices. New, boxed, dust covers and everything. I the box was an invoice for them from YOOX for £138. Never seen them myself on there at that sort of money, but I keep checking back nonetheless.
yes the prices - especially english shoes - are generally lower than elsewhere, personally I took Axton at 200 € delivered, but it is not that simple ...
you have to follow a whole strategy to be able to take a item at a good price, because sometimes they are displayed much more expensive than on the official website or on another store. for example, for a few months there have been Ralph Lauren derbies at a price of € 200, while a search on google shows that these derbies were sold for less than $ 100!
sometimes you have to be lucky and grab the right pair at the right time, Bourton were sold at 175 € last December, 2 months ago Jason Penny Loafers size 45 had at 135 € !!!

...and yes in this case Amazon is adding on local taxes and "extra processing fees" besides the shipping. If items are shipped USPS they go through more often than not with no added fees but that's not a guarantee... unlike UPS and FedEx which always add duties, taxes and their brokerage fees.

Ebay's new Global shipment (import charges)is also to be avoided if possible, adding on unnecessary costs, ask the the shipper to just ship post and you handle any expenditures.

View attachment 1399400
If Canada Post does process a USPS shipment that doesn't have prepaid duties/taxes there is a nominal $10 fee plus 13% HST here in Ontario but in almost 2 decades of buying I've yet to have that happen even with big ticket items from Ebay or similar sites.
the best for you is to no longer buy on Amazon, but only on UK sites, where you can take advantage of promotions and also recover taxes, as on the last promo trickersoutlet prices outside uk / europe were incredibly low

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score

View attachment 1399400
I got caught on an Amazon ‘bargain’! Nearly doubled price.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

View attachment 1399400

Thanks. I was curious as to your typical costs.
I used to proxy stuff for a buddy in Montreal but he he's cut back so it's been a while. USPS/Canada Post from Seattle to Montreal is about US$30 for a pair of shoes. I knew about the massive ebay shipping charges since I've proxy bid stuff for him too.

Us USAns have it pretty good. We avoid UK/EU VAT and almost always also avoid our local taxes. And if shipment is under $800 there's no duty. Also usually avoid the UPS/Fedex brokerage fees for under $800 shipments.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
I got caught on an Amazon ‘bargain’! Nearly doubled price.
Yep...got to watch those ones, especially items by 3rd parties not fulfilled by Amazon.
But also since "Covid" I've noticed even items shipped by Amazon, the fees are now much higher... even with Amazon.ca bringing items up from the states, where prior to the "Pandemic" there were none..????
So far Tricker's shipped from the UK to Canada are still the most reasonable.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Thanks. I was curious as to your typical costs.
.......USPS/Canada Post from Seattle to Montreal is about US$30 for a pair of shoes.

Actually that has doubled if not more...had a pair of Tricker's shipped from there last month, was quoted $20US and the seller had a shock when arriving at USPS when the cheapest with tracking came to $58.18 US to be exact ($81.93 Canadian) ....

rob80bboots

Reaction score
.......Us USAns have it pretty good.

I was just about to pick up a pair of Grassmere from a fellow member here...price in US $$ was good but once I've accounted for Canadian exchange rates, shipping and Paypal fees I've sadly decided to put purchasing on hold for a bit....
.....I'm finding this hobby can and will run away from you if one is not prudent.. lol...........as it would have been my 4th pair of Tricker's in as many months. :redface:

....mind you if a pair pops up in another Tricker's "Sample" sale.....:cool2:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually that has doubled if not more...had a pair of Tricker's shipped from there last month, was quoted $20US and the seller had a shock when arriving at USPS when the cheapest with tracking came to $58.18 US to be exact ($81.93 Canadian) ....

Ahh, the $32 was for a pair of sneakers now that I think about it. If you can keep the weight down to 3 pounds, it's $32 first class mail to Canada but jumps up to $50 if you go over 3 pounds. The other trick is no need to pay extra for tracking since the customs form you have to fill out has tracking. If you ask for tracking they'll send it priority mail which costs more and hasn't been any faster than first class in my experience. I've shipped a lot of stuff to my buddy.

konstantis

Reaction score
Hi to all the members. I just received my first ever pair Trickers Bourtons. Until now the majority of my shoes was Meermins at 9 U.K. size. After a lot of reading I ordered Bourtons at 8.5 U.K. My initial impression is that the Bourtons are a little snug in the big toe , not painful at all , just a little snug otherwise ok. May I ask the members if I should size up or the shoes are going to break and be more comfortable? Thanks.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Hi to all the members. I just received my first ever pair Trickers Bourtons..............
........should size up or the shoes are going to break and be more comfortable? Thanks.

I'm relatively new here and I'm sure others will chip in but I'm finding so far that Tricker's, although they will break in, take a relatively long time to do so. I've an 8 1/2 Stow that I acquired new a few months ago that fit snug but comfortable from the start and hasn't changed all that much, still snug when I put them on in the morning.
I've a Derby shoe also an 8 1/2 in the 4497 last and is still tight on on the top vamp and my right pinky after weeks of wear and is just starting to be more bearable for extended walks...and to be on the safe side I just recently picked up a new pair of Burfords, same last but a 9UK....these do require a thicker sock but have been super comfortable so far on 10k walks.
For me it's in the width and height that usually needs a bit of breaking in and where shoes normally do stretch, "a little snug in the big toe" might be a little more problematic but as you say "not painful at all" you might be ok but is where you need advice from more experienced Tricker users.

Last edited:

konstantis

Reaction score
I'm relatively new here and I'm sure others will chip in but I'm finding so far that Tricker's, although they will break in, take a relatively long time to do so. I've an 8 1/2 Stow that I acquired new a few months ago that fit snug but comfortable from the start and hasn't changed all that much, still snug when I put them on in the morning.
I've a Derby shoe also an 8 1/2 in the 4497 last and is still tight on on the top vamp and my right pinky after weeks of wear and is just starting to be more bearable for extended walks...and to be on the safe side I just recently picked up a new pair of Burfords, same last but a 9UK....these do require a thicker sock but have been super comfortable so far on 10k walks.
For me it's in the width and height that usually needs a bit of breaking in and where shoes normally do stretch, "a little snug in the big toe" might be a little more problematic but as you say "not painful at all" you might be ok but is where you need advice from more experienced Tricker users.
Mine is comfortable from the first wear but just a bit snug in the big toe. I wear thin socks almost always and I was wondering if I should return them or keep them. I like my shoes to be a little snug but comfortable.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine is comfortable from the first wear but just a bit snug in the big toe. I wear thin socks almost always and I was wondering if I should return them or keep them. I like my shoes to be a little snug but comfortable.

My problem with my Bourtons has always been at the other end of the shoes. Each pair slips at the heel a bit - especially my right heel. I can understand the last bit as our feet are not necessarily identical in size. I have realised that, over time, the heels slip less. My theory is that the soles of these shoes are so thick that they need 'bending' quite a bit, over time and thus take a long time to break in.

Also, I have to wear insoles in Bourtons as i sit between two shoes sizes. If you do have to go down the insole route, it is worth noting that they need to be changed for new ones, fairly regularly. I know that purists would tell me that if I need to use insoles, my shoes don't fit. This much is self evident. In my view, the insoles help to make them fit.

My apologies if I have posted most of this before. I am getting to the age when I repeat myself most of the time. I am getting to the age when I repeat myself most of the time. With best wishes, Munky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads