• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

TH3515

Reaction score
7BCEA58A-1379-441E-854D-37B98BDCA17A.jpeg

FA5EDEC8-B800-40E2-9574-79035C573CC3.jpeg

Acorn Stows today.

FondDeJante

Reaction score
Waxy commander Bourton arrived today. Was my intention to have the mid soles lightened to maybe an antique finish and maybe change the eyelets? Beast mode shoe as is though.

Very nice! Maybe any refinements would detract from their essential brutalness

Still waiting for mine to arrive, should be sometime today hopefully

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Was thinking that, I’ve had ridiculously thick socks today so will have a better wear tomorrow with thinner ones. 4444 a bugger to get right!

LippyLee

Reaction score
I don’t want to continue abusing the hospitality of this Trickers thread for the occasions I have regarding questions re other makes. I have “yet another” Grenson related query. Could anyone direct me to an appropriate thread please? I am finding the leather descriptions cryptic on their products.

LippyLee

Reaction score
Right then, my thanks to you, I shall consider that sanction enough.
Grensons are currently selling their Fred boots in a Triple Welt leather sole, which I particularly like. I received them the other day and am now torn as to whether to keep them as the leather uppers feel as though they have a plasticised coating. It is described as “Rub Out” leather which I can find no clear definition for in the context of footwear. In furniture it seems it is just leather which has been painted in a fashion that will have areas that rub out to give greater tonality. This feels more like what I believe to be their Bookbinder leather without the hi-shine that leather tends to have and I’m not keen on the “false“ look of that. I’d rather polish for shine personally.
Any of you heard of this Rub Out leather and could tell me what it’s long term characteristics are? I like a leather that I can break in and becomes a part of me, not some wipe clean, ease of maintenance item.
They are otherwise a very nice boot. I like the Triple Welt, decent colour, good fit, ski hooks for top three eyelets (which my aging hips are grateful for) it’s just the Rub Out leather that concerns me.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The description on the Grenson site actually says "Rub off" not "rub out".

Those do appear to be bookbinder. Probably best avoided.

LippyLee

Reaction score
The description on the Grenson site actually says "Rub off" not "rub out".

Those do appear to be bookbinder. Probably best avoided.
I stand corrected, it’s pretty much how I felt about them too.
A shame, the price was good and they looked ok in photos, but in the flesh...
Ah well, thanks for your inputs all,
Lee

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right then, my thanks to you, I shall consider that sanction enough.
Grensons are currently selling their Fred boots in a Triple Welt leather sole, which I particularly like. I received them the other day and am now torn as to whether to keep them as the leather uppers feel as though they have a plasticised coating. It is described as “Rub Out” leather which I can find no clear definition for in the context of footwear. In furniture it seems it is just leather which has been painted in a fashion that will have areas that rub out to give greater tonality. This feels more like what I believe to be their Bookbinder leather without the hi-shine that leather tends to have and I’m not keen on the “false“ look of that. I’d rather polish for shine personally.
Any of you heard of this Rub Out leather and could tell me what it’s long term characteristics are? I like a leather that I can break in and becomes a part of me, not some wipe clean, ease of maintenance item.
They are otherwise a very nice boot. I like the Triple Welt, decent colour, good fit, ski hooks for top three eyelets (which my aging hips are grateful for) it’s just the Rub Out leather that concerns me.

I had a pair of Grenson semi brogues in burgundy rub off. It was a dark burgundy corrected grain with areas where the finish had been lightly rubbed to a lighter burgundy colour.

I sold them a while ago after I got more knowledge and realised they were corrected grain, coated leather.

To be fair they weren’t too bad, the finish looked quite nice but probably would only deteriorate over time rather than improve with age.

I agree that I prefer something that develops with wear and polishing. I now have a pair of C&J Connaught in their place which are quite an orange brown from new but darken nicely with wear/polish and cream application over time. They just get better and better which is more satisfying.

Some people value low maintenance though.

Last edited:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t want to continue abusing the hospitality of this Trickers thread for the occasions I have regarding questions re other makes. I have “yet another” Grenson related query. Could anyone direct me to an appropriate thread please? I am finding the leather descriptions cryptic on their products.

I don’t think Grenson has enough of a following on Styleforum to have its own thread. Church’s, Cheaney, Loake, Alfred Sargent and Sanders have their own thread but are pretty quiet generally.

I think most on here are ok with the odd discussion of other brands and sometimes it is in comparison with Trickers so valid enough!

FondDeJante

Reaction score
Very nice! Maybe any refinements would detract from their essential brutalness

Still waiting for mine to arrive, should be sometime today hopefully

Mine arrived yesterday evening. TKMaxx always make you feel like a pauper so the box was dirty and battered and some scraps of tissue paper replaced the Tricker's shoe bags and polishing cloth.

Still, can't complain as the shoes are in perfect condition

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads