• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Cipresso Brett, glorious sun called for these.

Attachments

• 0A6738AC-B2D9-4D2D-B0B3-B609E586EBCC.jpeg
    0A6738AC-B2D9-4D2D-B0B3-B609E586EBCC.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 122

Metrosey

Reaction score
A question for all you boot wearing fellows.
Do you just use normal shoe trees? Trickers or otherwise? Or can you get shoe trees specially for boots?

Does it make any difference?

It’s a bit late but I second what Crafty said, he also recommended me those many months and was completely satisfied with my purchase. I’ve also got the Tricker’s own version and it’s satisfying, really like the colour and wood used. The fit is basically the same, so considering the price difference, it’s not worth it. However, I would like some coat hangers in that lime wood Tricker’s uses, won’t happen though haha

I often hear this argument about electronic devices and I already have a prepared answer. When it comes to smart phones, etc., yes, we don’t have the ethical choice. But that doesn’t mean we should throw our hands up and forget all standards. I am not happy that iPhones are made in China. I want them made in America or Europe. Many of the components are, but they are assembled - thus manufactured - in China. I do not like this. I oppose it. But I do not have a choice. If I have a choice, I take the ethical one.

Without ethics, people wanting products to be manufactured in Britain really don’t have a leg to stand on. Without ethics, there is no justification for shelling out for Tricker’s. There is no reason for that company to continue manufacturing in Northampton. There is no reason to celebrate ‘Made in England’ and that term then becomes an insulting gimmick.

With ethics, buying Tricker’s is justified.

I’m all for buying ethical products, I’ve got a few of them but I can’t afford four pairs of jeans for example, which are all made in the UK or US. Same applies for shirts or any other item. However, so called ‘statement pieces’ like overcoats, knitwear, messenger bags, etc, I try to push the budget. Hopefully in the future I can buy a few British overcoats, but they are so expensive.

Now, when it comes to technology, I too would like a US designed and manufactured iPhone and MacBooks, even the new Mac Pro at £6K-£50K isn’t solely made in the US. When it comes to high demand products like the iPhone, I don’t think it’s feasible that it’s created in the US, consumers wouldn’t pay the extra price (rightly so if it increases by 15-20 percent) and infrastructure isn’t in place. For example, the latest 5nm chips have to be made in Taiwan, as that’s where TSMC has most of the semiconductor factories (some higher nanometer ones in China too). Neither GF, Samsung, nor Intel have a suitable factory for production. Not only that, if TSMC was to move factories or create many new ones in the US, companies like NVIDIA and AMD might have to get their components made in the US too.

I’m getting a bit carried away in a shoe/boot thread haha, so I won’t write anymore.

Last edited:

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a bit late but I second what Crafty said, he also recommended me those many months and was completely satisfied with my purchase. I’ve also got the Tricker’s own version and it’s satisfying, really like the colour and wood used. The fit is basically the same, so considering the price difference, it’s not worth it. However, I would like some coat hangers in that lime wood Tricker’s uses, won’t happen though haha

I’m all for buying ethical products, I’ve got a few of them but I can’t afford six pairs of jeans for example, which are all made in the UK or US. Same applies for shirts or any other item. However, so called ‘statement pieces’ like overcoats, knitwear, messenger bags, etc, I try to push the budget. Hopefully in the future I can buy a few British overcoats, but they are so expensive.

Now, when it comes to technology, I too would like a US designed and manufactured iPhone and MacBooks, even the new Mac Pro at £6K-£50K isn’t solely made in the US. When it comes to high demand products like the iPhone, I don’t think it’s feasible that it’s created in the US, consumers wouldn’t pay the extra price (rightly so if it increases by 15-20 percent) and infrastructure isn’t in place. For example, the latest 5nm chips have to be made in Taiwan, as that’s where TSMC has most of the semiconductor factories (some higher nanometer ones in China too). Neither GF, Samsung, nor Intel have a suitable factory for production. Not only that, if TSMC was to move factories or create many new ones in the US, companies like NVIDIA and AMD might have to get their components made in the US too.

I’m getting a bit carried away in a shoe/boot thread haha, so I won’t write anymore.
I don’t object to your geeking out, so long as you keep it accessible. ? I like to think about this is more than just a shoe appreciation thread. We have a little community going on here.

I get what you are saying regarding the manufacturing facilities. Companies have invested so much in Asia, in order to increase profits, that those factories have almost become indispensable. But where there is a will, there is a way. Imagine that glorious day when we can hold our iPhones and see the proud boast of Made in America. A pleasant thought. Let’s wean ourselves off the China Girl.

Oh, and before I forget, I’m no money bags. I simply keep a minimal wardrobe and invest in a few pieces every year. I bought a pair or chinos and jeans this month. Plus a Gloverall duffle coat. Serious investment pieces. If the pants don’t last me several years and the coat at least a decade, I will be very cross.

Metrosey

Reaction score
I don’t object to your geeking out, so long as you keep it accessible. ? I like to think about this is more than just a shoe appreciation thread. We have a little community going on here.

I get what you are saying regarding the manufacturing facilities. Companies have invested so much in Asia, in order to increase profits, that those factories have almost become indispensable. But where there is a will, there is a way. Imagine that glorious day when we can hold our iPhones and see the proud boast of Made in America. A pleasant thought. Let’s wean ourselves off the China Girl.

Oh, and before I forget, I’m no money bags. I simply keep a minimal wardrobe and invest in a few pieces every year. I bought a pair or chinos and jeans this month. Plus a Gloverall duffle coat. Serious investment pieces. If the pants don’t last me several years and the coat at least a decade, I will be very cross.

Currently I have various things I need to save for, so investments in clothing is a bit low on my list. With that said, I did manage to pick up a cardigan from John Smedley Outlet the other week, really good quality and a decent price. I would like to buy more in the future but outside the outlet, it’s like £200-£350 for knitwear on the official store, far out my budget currently. I hope to do the minimal wardrobe approach in the future but for now, I’ve got a mix of cheap and good quality clothing.

I managed to get all my audio equipment either German or US manufactured though

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
” I like to think about this is more than just a shoe appreciation thread. We have a little community going on here ”

Totally agree ?

A number of years ago I would have considered myself a collector ... original big E levis , Bluebell , Lee jeans and jackets , rock tees and vinyl . I still have the vinyl and a good few 70s / 80s punk , indie , heavy rock tees ( left for my daughter) but the rest is long gone . I had no need for it or to gaze at it .

Same with the clothes I wear . I keep it simple and minimal ( a best I can ) . I fall down on Barbour wax jackets and tweed overcoats though , lol . Though I try to sell before I make a big purchase .. good fiscal practice ( I say to myself ) . EBay and Charity shops for outer wear ( jumpers / trousers , hats and scarfs ) and the high street for the basics .

Last edited:

Kiwijohn

Reaction score
We found Ken selling at a local town market one Saturday then noticed he had a Facebook page ( Ken’s raw jersey cow milk ) . There are a couple of shops in same area selling veg from local farmers and you can buy direct from local farms too .

I holidayed in Scotland last year and as raw milk sale Is illegal ( lord knows why..it’s fine ! ) , I considered getting it delivered from a company in northern England ..they deliver it to your door .

Ken’s Raw milk is £2 for 2 litres , it’s jersey cow milk and is so creamy and tasteful.....I drink a litre and a half a day myself , lol .

25p is okay but if you can and I know it’s not practical for most ... buy from the farm , they will get all of the £s and you know what and where from your buying .
£2 for 2 litres - that’s cheap. Milk here is expensive despite being one of the worlds biggest dairying exporters. Because most milk and dairy products gets sent overseas eg China, NZers end up paying top $ for it. Ridiculous. Where in Belfast are you?. My Dad was from Bangor. Northern Ireland is beautiful.

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
£2 for 2 litres - that’s cheap. Milk here is expensive despite being one of the worlds biggest dairying exporters. Because most milk and dairy products gets sent overseas eg China, NZers end up paying top $ for it. Ridiculous. Where in Belfast are you?. My Dad was from Bangor. Northern Ireland is beautiful.

Thats nuts that NZers pay high prices !

I live in the Far East , lol . outskirts of east Belfast near Stormont estate ( parliament buidings ) . I know Bangor well , it’s only a few miles over the hills from where I live 15-20 mins if traffic is light .

Northern Ireland is beautiful indeed but you’ve got Lotr country !

LippyLee

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Well, after promising myself I was going to ease back and curb my spending for a bit, a new pair of boots turned up on eBay in my size and specified with ski hooks for the top three lace points. They look like Stows but I’ve not seen Stows with the ski hooks, so does anyone know what past model they are? I’ll post photos when I’m in a position to.
On the same theme, they are in the Acorn colour (I believe). Has anyone found a polish that’s not neutral, but that matches this colour? I don’t really want to darken these as I really have enough footwear that’s mid tan and darker.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Lee

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads