• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cipresso green cordovan munkey boots.

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
I don’t mean to come across as ‘snobby,’ but I don’t do cheap experiments. My purchases have to meet my requirements of being ethically made (no cheap Asian slave labour garbage; preferably made in Britain), quality (made from high quality materials that will last) and look good (fit correctly). This is one of the reasons why I am so bitterly disappointed with Hugo Boss (gang of lying crooks!)

You have your point of view as I’m sure we all have and I certainly would not consider it “snobby “ . You are principled . I try to keep to certain “ positions “ on purchasing clothing but practicality and budget means sometimes thats not always the case .

If you applied the slave labour criteria to most purchases in your day to day existence you would not exist too long . Tescos pay local farmers / suppliers buttons for their products , a friend of mine supplies to them and barely breaks even but does so just for product placement . Lord knows what third world country suppliers get by the time their products hit the shelves . Tescos are just one example in one category.

I prefer quality clothing made in the U.K. too , again it’s not always practical . Boots , woollen jumpers , coats and socks yes , but t shirts , underwear etc .. I hit up M&S . I don’t waste my money on items I don’t think will last either .. hence Matalan‘s cords .

Last edited:

Maio

Reaction score
You have your point of view as I’m sure we all have and I certainly would not consider it “snobby “ . You are principled . I try to keep to certain “ positions “ on purchasing clothing but practicality and budget means sometimes thats not always the case .

If you applied the slave labour criteria to most purchases in your day to day existence you would not exist too long . Tescos pay local farmers / suppliers buttons for their products , a friend of mine supplies to them and barely breaks even but does so just for product placement . Lord knows what third world country suppliers get by the time their products hit the shelves . Tescos are just one example in one category.

I prefer quality clothing made in the U.K. too , again it’s not always practical . Boots , wooden jumpers , coats , socks yes but t shirts , underwear etc .. I hit up M&S . I don’t waste my money on items I don’t think will last either .. hence Matalan‘s cords .

Expanding on this, @mrjamescost you wouldn't be able to own pretty much any electronic device either... Especially not anything to do with cell phones or displays. I agree with you in some ways, especially with the ethical considerations but it's near impossible to do today. We've already gone that far...

MSAINT

Reaction score
How does the moccasin brown compare with marron/marron antique? There doesn’t appear to be too much difference. Moccasin appears to be a little brighter.

The mocassin seem a bit brownish compared to the orangish Marron.

thelonius

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I realise I'm off brand here, but I've seen one or two posts from people with "cobbling" knowledge on here so hope you'll forgive me for taking this liberty.
I've bought a pair of Grenson Triple Welt Boots on Ebay. They're classified as new but with a "nick" on the tongue of one of the boots. Would any of you technical shoe carers be prepared to give advice as to how best to deal with this damage? I've been looking for a pair of these for a long time and just couldn't resist them at the price. View attachment 1315913 View attachment 1315914 View attachment 1315914
Agree with what others have said. It shouldn't be a problem - just polish a bit and forget. If it gets any worse - take it to a good shoe repair guy. But out of interest - and don't want to start an embedded Grenson conversation here - but were they made in Rushden Northants, or India, or somewhere else?

LippyLee

Reaction score
Hmm, I have to say Thelonius, I have no way of knowing. I’m now in receipt of the boots; they felt as though they were going to be too tight, but in use fit like a glove. The leather looked as thought it was going to be very hard but is in fact very soft and pliable. I have a plate in my right ankle and am always concerned with boots that they’re going to chafe there in particular, but not at all. I’ve repaired the nick in the tongue with superglue, masking areas to avoid contamination, and it’s worked out very well. Not invisible, but hard to discern. Very pleased and impressed with the boots overall.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I prefer quality clothing made in the U.K. too , again it’s not always practical . Boots , woollen jumpers , coats and socks yes , but t shirts , underwear etc .. I hit up M&S . I don’t waste my money on items I don’t think will last either .. hence Matalan‘s cords .
The statement that ‘you wouldn’t last too long’ by holding the aforementioned standards is simply not true. I carefully check every item I purchase to try as best as I can to remain ethical. I’m still here.

As for your friend, I deeply sympathise with his plight. I support any steps that will improve his situation. Farmers should be paid well and live a good life for the hard work they do.

Last edited:

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Expanding on this, @mrjamescost you wouldn't be able to own pretty much any electronic device either... Especially not anything to do with cell phones or displays. I agree with you in some ways, especially with the ethical considerations but it's near impossible to do today. We've already gone that far...
I often hear this argument about electronic devices and I already have a prepared answer. When it comes to smart phones, etc., yes, we don’t have the ethical choice. But that doesn’t mean we should throw our hands up and forget all standards. I am not happy that iPhones are made in China. I want them made in America or Europe. Many of the components are, but they are assembled - thus manufactured - in China. I do not like this. I oppose it. But I do not have a choice. If I have a choice, I take the ethical one.

Without ethics, people wanting products to be manufactured in Britain really don’t have a leg to stand on. Without ethics, there is no justification for shelling out for Tricker’s. There is no reason for that company to continue manufacturing in Northampton. There is no reason to celebrate ‘Made in England’ and that term then becomes an insulting gimmick.

With ethics, buying Tricker’s is justified.

Last edited:

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
The statement that ‘you wouldn’t last too long’ by holding the aforementioned standards is simply not true. I carefully check every item I purchase to try as best as I can to remain ethical. I’m still here.

As for your friend, I deeply sympathise with his plight. I support any steps that will improve his situation. Farmers should be paid well and live a good life for the hard work they do.

As I said , your principled and it’s good your still here !

Purchasing, It‘s an ethical quagmire . I worked in it for 35 yrs . Companies in my industry would think nothing of totally screwing “ partners” and go elsewhere over for a minuscule saving . As for the supply chain morality , forget it . I met many , many people at purchasing courses from other industries over the years . Clothing and food supply are the same or worse .
My last comment on the subject , and it’s not to make me out as a saint but it’s more to show that if you want ethics you need to research and I’m glad you do .
My family drink raw milk , a lot of it , and we purchase it direct from a local farm . Ken and his wife are the nicest people you would meet and a joy to talk too an they cut no corners in looking after their cows . In spring , summer and autumn the cows are out in the field grazing and appear happy and healthy . He supplies to a local dairy as well as sells to the public from the farm . His next neighbouring farm sells to the same dairy , their cows are kept inside all year round ..needless to say I don’t purchase milk from this dairy or any others .

Last edited:

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I said , your principled and it’s good your still here !

Purchasing, It‘s an ethical quagmire . I worked in it for 35 yrs . Companies in my industry would think nothing of totally screwing “ partners” and go elsewhere over for a minuscule saving . As for the vendor and morality , forget it . I met many , many people at purchasing courses from other industries over the years . Clothing and food supply are the same or worse .
My last comment on the subject , and it’s not to make me out as a saint but it’s more to show that if you want ethics you need to research and I’m glad you do .
My family drink raw milk , a lot of it , and we purchase it direct from a local farm . Ken and his wife are the nicest people you would meet and a joy to talk too an they cut no corners in looking after their cows . In spring , summer and autumn the cows are out in the field grazing and appear happy and healthy . He supplies to a local dairy as well as sells to the public from the farm . His next neighbouring farm sells to the same dairy , their cows are kept inside all year round ..needless to say I don’t purchase milk from this dairy or any others .
Quagmire? It’s a banging headache wading through the chaff. The good thing is that once you find the good stuff, you know where to go.

I think it’s great you support your farmer friend. I would like to do similar. I often think about milk farmers. If we cast our minds back, I remember when it cost £1.50 for a four pint carton of whole milk. That was in the middle of the '90’s. Now, after 25 years, you can purchase the same for £1. ? This can’t be right.

I thought about a possible (well publicised) ‘farmers tax,’ in which people can volunteer to pay an extra (for example) 25p that will go directly to farmers every time they purchase milk. I would be so glad to pay that.

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
Quagmire? It’s a banging headache wading through the chaff. The good thing is that once you find the good stuff, you know where to go.

I think it’s great you support your farmer friend. I would like to do similar. I often think about milk farmers. If we cast our minds back, I remember when it cost £1.50 for a four pint carton of whole milk. That was in the middle of the '90’s. Now, after 25 years, you can purchase the same for £1. ? This can’t be right.

I thought about a possible (well publicised) ‘farmers tax,’ in which people can volunteer to pay an extra (for example) 25p that will go directly to farmers every time they purchase milk. I would be so glad to pay that.

We found Ken selling at a local town market one Saturday then noticed he had a Facebook page ( Ken’s raw jersey cow milk ) . There are a couple of shops in same area selling veg from local farmers and you can buy direct from local farms too .

I holidayed in Scotland last year and as raw milk sale Is illegal ( lord knows why..it’s fine ! ) , I considered getting it delivered from a company in northern England ..they deliver it to your door .

Ken’s Raw milk is £2 for 2 litres , it’s jersey cow milk and is so creamy and tasteful.....I drink a litre and a half a day myself , lol .

25p is okay but if you can and I know it’s not practical for most ... buy from the farm , they will get all of the £s and you know what and where from your buying .

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We found Ken selling at a local town market one Saturday then noticed he had a Facebook page ( Ken’s raw jersey cow milk ) . There are a couple of shops in same area selling veg from local farmers and you can buy direct from local farms too .

I holidayed in Scotland last year and as raw milk sale Is illegal ( lord knows why..it’s fine ! ) , I considered getting it delivered from a company in northern England ..they deliver it to your door .

Ken’s Raw milk is £2 for 2 litres , it’s jersey cow milk and is so creamy and tasteful.....I drink a litre and a half a day myself , lol .

25p is okay but if you can and I know it’s not practical for most ... buy from the farm , they will get all of the £s and you know what and where from your buying .
I’m obviously throwing ideas out there. This is an issue governments should be tackling.

You have inspired me to look around more for the more ethical milk option. I have to be careful with milk. Especially if it’s the good stuff. Once I start, I won’t stop. I’ll have a belly hanging over my belt buckle.

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
I’m obviously throwing ideas out there. This is an issue governments should be tackling.

You have inspired me to look around more for the more ethical milk option. I have to be careful with milk. Especially if it’s the good stuff. Once I start, I won’t stop. I’ll have a belly hanging over my belt buckle.

Lol , actually if you are active the fat burns off very quickly . Jersy milk has approx 80 grams of protein in a 2 litre carton and the minerals / vitamin content is fantastic . Pasteurised milk is literally white water .

I try not to preach but Ken’s raw milk is something I have converted a few people too locally .

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol , actually if you are active the fat burns off very quickly . Jersy milk has approx 80 grams of protein in a 2 litre carton and the minerals / vitamin content is fantastic . Pasteurised milk is literally white water .

I try not to preach but Ken’s raw milk is something I have converted a few people too locally .
Preach, brother - preach! ?

You don’t understand. I already do a similar level of exercise of a professional boxer who is trying to maintain ‘tickover’ fitness during his recovery period. And that’s just to keep myself at around 12 stone. People often say - and it’s a humorous exaggeration - that I would be as fat as a pig if I didn’t exercise. ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics