• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I live in a place where the temperature is above 40°C in the summers and humidity is about 20-30%.
Hence for me conditioning even a new pair of shoes makes sense. I am sure this is not an issues in colder or more humid climate.

You never know how long these boots have been on shelves. So even for new boots/shoes i like to give them a through conditioning before wearing.

Yes, i agree its a little over kill. but i am a bit particular about such things. Y take the risk of flexing even slightly dried out leather. These are expensive boots and i wanna make sure that last as long as they can. and i wanna do everything to make that happen. besides u really cant cause the leather any harm by using this before wearing.
Hi,

On the forum we have members whose native tongue isn’t English and sometimes what you may think was criticism was meant as advice. Msaint was trying to advise that other Saphir products nourish the leather better than the one you were using. I totally agree with you that sometimes it’s the right thing to do before wearing. I bought a pair from the Trickers factory sale a year or so ago and they looked really dry! Good dose of conditioner before wear! Enjoy your boots and the forum.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I though i would share the process of what all i did to these boots out of the box.

1. Used Chamberlain's Leather cleaner with a cotton pad. Very Little. Very Mildly to get any dust or particles off the leather. I was very gentle with this process.

2. Used Chamberlain's Boot & shoe conditioner. I conditioned both the uppers and the inner lining of the shoes. I have had a discussion on this site on the importance of conditioning inner leather lining (link: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ials-photos-etc.228153/page-1516#post-9717368). I let them dry for an hour.

3. One good brushing with a horse hair brush and then i applied saphir renovateur to the uppers. I let them sit for about an hour and then i gave them another brushing with a horse hair brush.

4. I let them sit over night (12hrs) and then started working on the welt and sole edges. I applied some Saphir's wax polish (Mahogany) to the welt using a soft bristle toothbrush.

5. Applied the first coat of Saphir's wax polish (Wax Yellow) to the upper using a old, clean, soft cotton t-shirt. I let them rest for an hour. Then brushed with a horse hair brush.

6. Applied the second coat of polish to the uppers. Let them sit for 15-20 mins and then gave them a good brushing.

You can see the results in the pics bellow.

Regards. AJ

IMG_0506.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I though i would share the process of what all i did to these boots out of the box.

1. Used Chamberlain's Leather cleaner with a cotton pad. Very Little. Very Mildly to get any dust or particles off the leather. I was very gentle with this process.

2. Used Chamberlain's Boot & shoe conditioner. I conditioned both the uppers and the inner lining of the shoes. I have had a discussion on this site on the importance of conditioning inner leather lining (link: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ials-photos-etc.228153/page-1516#post-9717368). I let them dry for an hour.

3. One good brushing with a horse hair brush and then i applied saphir renovateur to the uppers. I let them sit for about an hour and then i gave them another brushing with a horse hair brush.

4. I let them sit over night (12hrs) and then started working on the welt and sole edges. I applied some Saphir's wax polish (Mahogany) to the welt using a soft bristle toothbrush.

5. Applied the first coat of Saphir's wax polish (Wax Yellow) to the upper using a old, clean, soft cotton t-shirt. I let them rest for an hour. Then brushed with a horse hair brush.

6. Applied the second coat of polish to the uppers. Let them sit for 15-20 mins and then gave them a good brushing.

You can see the results in the pics bellow.

Regards. AJ

View attachment 1176958 View attachment 1176959 View attachment 1176960 View attachment 1176961 View attachment 1176962
Looking good!

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
Hi,

On the forum we have members whose native tongue isn’t English and sometimes what you may think was criticism was meant as advice. Msaint was trying to advise that other Saphir products nourish the leather better than the one you were using. I totally agree with you that sometimes it’s the right thing to do before wearing. I bought a pair from the Trickers factory sale a year or so ago and they looked really dry! Good dose of conditioner before wear! Enjoy your boots and the forum.

For my grain leather boots , in the last year , I have just covered the uppers / welts and sole edges in a dark tan either Kiwi or Pediwear beeswax polish and just left them . Finger rubbing polish into any creases . No shining afterwards . After an outing , same process again . This has kept the leather supple and looks better imho on zug grain.

I have recently started this with my derby boots , though I give them a rub with a polish cloth prior to wearing , they are a formal boot . My recent purchase , espresso Stow , I do same as above . No shining and to be honest I prefer the matt finish with jeans , cords . However personal taste is subjective and we all have our own ideas on upkeep also .

AJ , your boots are great looking . I hope you enjoy wearing and also looking after them .

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
For my grain leather boots , in the last year , I have just covered the uppers / welts and sole edges in a dark tan either Kiwi or Pediwear beeswax polish and just left them . Finger rubbing polish into any creases . No shining afterwards . After an outing , same process again . This has kept the leather supple and looks better imho on zug grain.

I have recently started this with my derby boots , though I give them a rub with a polish cloth prior to wearing , they are a formal boot . My recent purchase , espresso Stow , I do same as above . No shining and to be honest I prefer the matt finish with jeans , cords . However personal taste is subjective and we all have our own ideas on upkeep also .

AJ , your boots are great looking . I hope you enjoy wearing and also looking after them .
I have to confess, my ‘regiment’ is very much inferior to most on his forum! My kudu boots get a horse hair brush and that’s it. The rest get a conditioner now and then and that’s it! Their was a thread about people doing up old shoes recently and the effort and ability of members blew me away. Not one of my skills alas!

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
I have to confess, my ‘regiment’ is very much inferior to most on his forum! My kudu boots get a horse hair brush and that’s it. The rest get a conditioner now and then and that’s it! Their was a thread about people doing up old shoes recently and the effort and ability of members blew me away. Not one of my skills alas!

I used to “bull” my boots all the time but it can become an infatuation. I have been just applying polish to my zug Grasmere and not shining for nearly a year and they look better for it imho .

When I packed work in March , my daughter and I went to Edinburgh for five days . I got talking with an older ( than me, lol ) gentleman staying at the same hotel and he was wearing an older pair of c-shade shoes with leather soles . He never shone them , just a bit of polish after each wear and a brush down now and again . They looked amazing. So when I bought my Stows I decdied to do same .

Last edited:

Metrosey

Reaction score
Was someone here looking for a Trickers Grasmere Kudu Caramel on a Dainite sole here?

Metrosey

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a shoe horn for around (rather it be under) £10 please :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads