1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Reiver

Reiver Senior Member

I love the colour of those, great buy!

2. Reiver

Reiver Senior Member

Have you used any polish or other products on the zug yet? They’re looking good.

3. Reiver

Reiver Senior Member

Do you have Islays on the way? I know your not much of a brogue guy.

4. MSAINT

MSAINT Senior Member

The fit perfectly on their box, the same box C&J have for their Coniston and Sky, do not fear...

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” F. Herbert ;)

They have everything under control.

5. mrjamescost

mrjamescost Distinguished Member

Nope. :)

6. Reiver

Reiver Senior Member

I just thought you were asking in anticipation of some arriving. Noticed your post with the Skye’s the other day and wondered if you were changing your mind regarding brogues.

7. mrjamescost

mrjamescost Distinguished Member

Nope, not changing my mind. The logic with the Skye boots is that I should keep them so my eye doesn’t rove for another brogue. We’ll see how that goes. :)

8. Reiver

Reiver Senior Member

Good theory. Hope it works!

9. Patek14

Patek14 Senior Member

I need some sizing advice please! I find it really funny on this last page I see talk of crockett shoes in trickers thread, as this is my current go to!

I recognize the US to UK size drop varies a lot from MFG to MFG. Green is usually a half drop, Crockett is usually a full or even a 1.5 drop!

I am looking at some Trickers Loafers, like the James / w2298. Here are some fitting benchmarks all shoe nerds like me know of!
    • Allen Edmonds 8 Last - I wear 7.5D. Good fit on heel and ball, but the instep is tight. I use this last for beaters a lot!
    • Crockett and Jones
    • 337 - I wear 6.5E UK on Oxford style. This is the best fitting last for me of all I own. Excellent heel to ball, no slippage, good on the instep, and no toe box crushing
    • 373 - I wear 6.5E UK on Oxford Style. This fits good as well but is a little less generous but still good.
    • 348 - I tried 6.5E UK on several models. SCREW this tight ass last. Sizing to 7E didnt work. This crushes my poor little toes.
    • Cheaney 11028 - Recently picked up some Chelsea boots, 6.5F UK. Surprisingly good fit!

So - For a LOAFER, do I drop to 6UK for trickers? Or do I stay at 6.5 UK? Or is trickers one of those odd conversions and I need to dabble at 7UK, which I am fearful to do.

10. Mallaig

Mallaig Well-Known Member

Not yet. This is only the second time I’ve worn them. Any advice would be welcome.

11. Cooly

Cooly Senior Member

IMG_8145.jpeg IMG_8142.jpeg
    The new Dominic's...very comfy...I like them alot...pretty much what I was looking for this SS for casual...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

12. Reiver

Reiver Senior Member

I haven’t done much with mine yet. Gave them a light application of saphir creme universelle and then some oxblood wax polish on the toe cap and heel. I think you can use dubbin or similar as well but won’t get a shine. This is more for harder useage.

Mine look a bit darker brown than yours but may be the lighting in your photo if it was a bright day.

Haven’t really seen mine in sunlight yet!

13. jayvee

jayvee Senior Member

They look pretty good. I wonder how they look with shorts? That’s a tough nut to crack. I always think it’s either vans or deck shoes if it’s shorts weather.

14. Reiver

Reiver Senior Member

Quite like them, I could be tempted. Are they still quite stiff like Trickers shoes? I imagine the wedge sole is nice and soft underfoot.

15. Cooly

Cooly Senior Member

Thanks, not sure about shorts yet...maybe some dark cargo's or camo ones...My thinking this is a jeans/chinos shoe...

not stiff at all...the funchal leather is "fairly" soft...and the micro-rubber vibram sole is very flexible and cushion-y.

The other thing I've noticed is since the way the monkey shoe laces all the way down (it's almost an open shoe), all the problems with the narrow toebox with the w2298 last go away. You can make the shoe as wide or narrow as you want by as tight as you lace them. I've worn some thick socks all day today with no issues. I couldn't do that with some Robert's I recently purchased...

now, just trying to decide if these should be polished with Tricker's "fawn" colored polish or other color?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019