• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
On the Pediwear site they're listed in the "Tricker's Shoes Pediwear Collection" section.
(If you order them, don't forget to click the box for the free trees.)

Box weighed a ton w/ trees!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like shady Nic Wooster is a fan of Tricker's.
3wjgalh

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcal_indy
I have two pair of stows - 10.5UK and 11UK - and 11D in Alden Truebalance fits perfectly.

The 10.5UK Stow fits okay with thin/medium socks but overall is a little short. The width is definitely okay, though.

The 11UK Stow feels great with any kind of sock.

11D US in Wolverine 1000 Miles is a perfect fit.

I would buy an 11 UK for my next pair of Stows. I currently have both 10.5 UK and 11 UK and the 10.5 is a little short.

Now that I've received my Stows, I thought I could add my sizing experience to the mix... While I have no experience with Alden's Barrie and Trubalance lasts which you guys often use as a reference point, my understanding is that those 2 lasts run .5 size large, i.e. Brannock US9D = US8.5D Barrie and Truebalance. It is also my understanding that it's suggested to size down .5 for Wolverine 1000 Miles. Given the above, I'd say my experience is similar to norcal_indy's, e.g. US Brannock size - .5 = UK Stow size. Now onto how I got to this...

Almost everyone in this thread has suggested a full size US/UK conversion for Stows, so Brannock size - 1 (or Barrie - .5). I figured I'd go with the popular choice and initially ordered/received a UK8 for my US9D feet. Right away, I realized the boots were too short, even though I was only wearing thin dress socks. Sure, I could slide my feet in, but I could also feel the end of the toebox. It's worth noting that I usually wear med weight cotton or wool socks with boots (not super burly winter weight ones though), so there was no doubt these would be trouble. And so the size 8 went back to Pediwear and I just received the UK8.5 today. As suspected, these are a bit on the roomy side, but I need that extra .5 to allow for my feet's natural rolling motion when walking.

While the 4497 last is not a perfect fit for me, I am confident UK8.5 is the right size for my feet. Ime, it's much easier to know with certainty that a shoe is too small than if it's too big. If in doubt, buy the smaller size first; your feet will tell you if you've made the right choice. Worst that can happen is you need to return/exchange. Better that than having a lingering doubt that they're too big...

Fwiw, I wear a US8.5D in RW GTs and those fit great (= .5 down from my Brannock size, for those who are still following). GS commented that the GTs are long and narrow, while the Stows are short and wide. I totally agree with his observation.

Another thing: Tricker's uses a .5 conversion US/UK as their standard, not a full size conversion. You can see this reflected in their ebay listings for shoes/boots made for the US market where they list both sizes. While I realize the 4497 is roomy with a .5 conversion, I believe it's meant to be worn that way, as are a lot of boots. Tbh, I've no idea how you guys manage to wear 1 size down from Brannock in these, even with thin socks.
confused.gif

In the end, I'm glad to know that if I do want a snugger fit, I can always add a Dr Scholl gel insole.

/sizing rant

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Looks like shady Nic Wooster is a fan of Tricker's.

Not Tricker's z, those are Grenson Fred V (notice the medallion and larger punching).
teacha.gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Not Tricker's z, those are Grenson Fred V (notice the medallion and larger punching).
teacha.gif

Damn, you're right. I was reading that thread discussing his recent firing and saw that picture. I searched and found an interview where he mentioned a weakness for Tricker's. Should have look at the picture closer.

norcal_indy

Reaction score
Now that I've received my Stows, I thought I could add my sizing experience to the mix... While I have no experience with Alden's Barrie and Trubalance lasts which you guys often use as a reference point, my understanding is that those 2 lasts run .5 size large, i.e. Brannock US9D = US8.5D Barrie and Truebalance. It is also my understanding that it's suggested to size down .5 for Wolverine 1000 Miles. Given the above, I'd say my experience is similar to norcal_indy's, e.g. US Brannock size - .5 = UK Stow size. Now onto how I got to this... Almost everyone in this thread has suggested a full size US/UK conversion for Stows, so Brannock size - 1 (or Barrie - .5). I figured I'd go with the popular choice and initially ordered/received a UK8 for my US9D feet. Right away, I realized the boots were too short, even though I was only wearing thin dress socks. Sure, I could slide my feet in, but I could also feel the end of the toebox. It's worth noting that I usually wear med weight cotton or wool socks with boots (not super burly winter weight ones though), so there was no doubt these would be trouble. And so the size 8 went back to Pediwear and I just received the UK8.5 today. As suspected, these are a bit on the roomy side, but I need that extra .5 to allow for my feet's natural rolling motion when walking. While the 2297 last is not a perfect fit for me, I am confident UK8.5 is the right size for my feet. Ime, it's much easier to know with certainty that a shoe is too small than if it's too big. If in doubt, buy the smaller size first; your feet will tell you if you've made the right choice. Worst that can happen is you need to return/exchange. Better that than having a lingering doubt that they're too big... Fwiw, I wear a US8.5D in RW GTs and those fit great (= .5 down from my Brannock size, for those who are still following). GS commented that the GTs are long and narrow, while the Stows are short and wide. I totally agree with his observation. Another thing: Tricker's uses a .5 conversion US/UK as their standard, not a full size conversion. You can see this reflected in their ebay listings for shoes/boots made for the US market where they list both sizes. While I realize the 2297 is roomy with a .5 conversion, I believe it's meant to be worn that way, as are a lot of boots. Tbh, I've no idea how you guys manage to wear 1 size down from Brannock in these, even with thin socks.
confused.gif
In the end, I'm glad to know that if I do want a snugger fit, I can always add a Dr Scholl gel insole. /sizing rant

Yeah, sizing is a *****. I forgot to mention that I lace my 11UK Stows up pretty tight to make the boot as snug as possible. The 10.5UK is definitely on the short side, but the 11UK is quite roomy. I could probably add a tongue pad or a tiny insole to improve the fit, but it's not that big of a deal. Overall, the 11UK is a much better fit. I would add that my new 11UK Keswicks actually feel a bit more snug than the 11UK Stows.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sizing is a *****. I forgot to mention that I lace my 11UK Stows up pretty tight to make the boot as snug as possible. The 10.5UK is definitely on the short side, but the 11UK is quite roomy.

Word. I don't mind cranking the laces real tight on boots, even if it means the facings touch. It's all good as long as my feet/ankles are locked in and my toes have a bit of wiggle room.

I would add that my new 11UK Keswicks actually feel a bit more snug than the 11UK Stows.

Now that's fvcked up. I believe this is the 1st time anyone has found the 4497 roomier than the 4444 in the same size. I was thinking I'd need a UK8 in Bourtons/Keswicks because the 8.5 Stows' roomyness would not work for me with a shoe...

Originally Posted by mikecch
I'm UK 8 on Tricker's 4497 width 5 (stow, malton) and 6 (grasmere), and US 9 in Wolverine 1000 mile width D and Alden Trubalance (can't remember width.)

My feet don't like the -0.5 rule :p

Apparently, they don't like the -1 rule either. If your Wolverine and Trubalance sizes are any indication, you're essentially going 1.5 down from your Brannock size. Weird.
puzzled.gif

mikecch

Reaction score
Mmm, my Brannock size is US 9 though...not sure about the width.

UK and Australia have the same sizing system, so when I first bought my Tricker's it was easy enough for me to buy my true size.

The Aldens and Wolverines were more difficult though, had to try it out at the shops or borrow them for test-runs from friends, as I had no idea what my feet size were in terms of the US system.

norcal_indy

Reaction score
Now that's fvcked up. I believe this is the 1st time anyone has found the 4497 roomier than the 4444 in the same size. I was thinking I'd need a UK8 in Bourtons/Keswicks because the 8.5 Stows' roomyness would not work for me with a shoe...
Well, I've only worn the Keswicks once so maybe my sizing judgment is off. I'll report back after a few more wears.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
By request from rkusmant.

Navy Bourtons from pedi, green Keswicks from LS, grey Bourtons from Tricker's ebay shop.
bourtons.jpg

Lolipop cavalier from the Bureau, tan scotch grain from the Bureau, marron from Tricker's ebay, acorn from pedi.
stows.jpg

Gold something or other Not Stows from STP, coffee brown Not Stows from STP, Froswicks from Herring.
notstows.jpg

Espresso Burfords from STP, marron Burfords from LS. Those Espresso brown ones appear black in the photo but they're a really nice rich brown.
burfords.jpg

Boot bar chart.
boots.jpg

Brown Paisleys and burgandy Richard longwings from STP.
wingtips.jpg

Burnished 1001 (I think) monks from Tricker's ebay, black captoe from STP.
misc.jpg

ambivalence

Reaction score
sorry just to double confirm again. If i wear alden indy US 7.5. i should get trickers malton size UK 7?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads