• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
Did the seller explain how they got hold of so many damaged Trickers? I spent a lot of time browsing the old retricker eBay store and never saw defects this bad.

Olderfellow

Reaction score
Did the seller explain how they got hold of so many damaged Trickers?

No, I didn't ask him because he only had two or three listed when we exchanged messages at first. The ones that followed that look like they have been chewed to pieces by a rather large canine appeared later. Curious myself. He describes some as being ex-display. The mind boggles as to where. They almost look like shoes and boots deliberately damaged to prevent re-sale or their being brought back to the shop or sent back to the factory for repair.

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
The prices are good, but I just couldn't overlook the defects, like this split along the seam;
s-l1600.jpg

Or even worse, the back of these being blown out!

2.jpg

How do you even do that to Trickers? Using an industrial shoe stretcher to stretch 2 whole sizes?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Suede Bourtons for summer.

2017-06-23_16-00-09_329.jpeg

repete66219

Reaction score
They charge the full amount & refund the difference in a separate transaction.

Webbo

Reaction score
I have a couple of trickers in calf which are great and am considering now the Adam loafer in burnt sugar suede. Anyone have any comments on the quality of their suede and also is the burnt sugar an "Alden snuff" type colour? In different photos it can look anything from grey brown to bright orange. Finally I also see that some of the new models being offered state they have no "through" making them more lightweight and streamlined, can anyone clarify what a "through" is ?? Many Thanks

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I didn't ask him because he only had two or three listed when we exchanged messages at first. The ones that followed that look like they have been chewed to pieces by a rather large canine appeared later. Curious myself. He describes some as being ex-display. The mind boggles as to where. They almost look like shoes and boots deliberately damaged to prevent re-sale or their being brought back to the shop or sent back to the factory for repair.

Could be 3rds/production errors/samples. A lot of companies don't sell them to customers in any capacity so they end up donating them to nearby charity/thrift shops and folks pick them hoping to get some $ on ebay. Happens in the bay area all the time with local brands.

A lot of the time samples aren't finished or made to the same quality standards since the value is a quick turnaround for decision making. Could be why those seams are busted.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Happy to hear that my mto stows arrived in the shop this morning about 8 weeks after placing order.
They were kind enough to send me a teaser pic
image.jpg

Super excited to see them in the flesh. Too bad it'll be way too hot to enjoy them when they arrive.

Last edited:

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ very nice Canadianguy. Gotta wear them. Heat be damned!!!

Enjoy!

princealbert

Reaction score
Finally I also see that some of the new models being offered state they have no "through" making them more lightweight and streamlined, can anyone clarify what a "through" is ?? Many Thanks[/QUOTE]

I believe a 'through' is a through sole or mid-sole. So when there is no though sole the whole sole unit becomes slimmer and lighter. At least that is my understanding.

Tricker's Expert!!

Reaction score
Finally I also see that some of the new models being offered state they have no "through" making them more lightweight and streamlined, can anyone clarify what a "through" is ?? Many Thanks

I believe a 'through' is a through sole or mid-sole. So when there is no though sole the whole sole unit becomes slimmer and lighter. At least that is my understanding.[/QUOTE]
You are entirely correct Sir, a 'Through' or 'Thru' is a Middle Sole. On most Tricker's and depending on which model and which type of 'Outsole' is fitted, a 'Leather' Thru' of around 2 - 3mm is fitted. Just for information, it is also possible to have a 'Half' Thru' fitted on MTO, and depending on personal preference or which Outsole is fitted, a Microfoam Rubber Thru' is sometimes used too. Microfoam Rubber Thru' are usually fitted when the Outsole is 'Bonded' in place rather than Stitched. Example; the Vibram Rubber 'Gumlite' Sole. :)

princealbert

Reaction score
Thanks Richard! Always good to have your input on these shoe construction type issues :)

Tricker's Expert!!

Reaction score
Thanks Richard! Always good to have your input on these shoe construction type issues :)
Most welcome Sir, always happy to help if I can :)

You know for what it worth and always personal preferences considered too, being in the repairs business we modify a lot of shoes from leather to Dainite soles, and I always consider a Dainite or 'hard' Rubber sole always sits better on top of a Thru, wether it is leather or microfoam rubber. For me, they add a little more durability and comfort.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads