• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hi all good folks.

can anyone here who actually has tried on, or owned Trickers in 2298 Last please share some advice on their sizing.

im considering the Trickers Robert shoe

i tend to take a UK7 fitting 5 in boots.
but never really happy with Trickers 4444 or 4497 lasts for shoes.

thank you very much.

I can offer my own experience, which is that the 2298 fit much narrower than the 4497. It is also narrower than the 4537, which is a dress shoe last.

davichan

Reaction score
thank you.

I'm curious to hear how or where, assuming the sides, vamp are narrower? or toe box?
can you elaborate a bit more.

how do you size in them compared to other trickers as well.

thank you again.

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thank you.

I'm curious to hear how or where, assuming the sides, vamp are narrower? or toe box?
can you elaborate a bit more.

how do you size in them compared to other trickers as well.

thank you again.

This was a while ago, and I don't have them anymore. But my recollection is narrower at the wide part of my foot and toe box; the heel was fine. The top, vamp, and toebox volume were fine. It was just the width.

For reference, I am a D width in US sizing. If you are familiar with the Allen Edmonds 2 last, that is also too narrow for me.

In comparison, the 4497 is comfortably roomy on me. I don't like tight shoes. But the 2298 was narrow enough to be uncomfortable for me.

I found this post from Zippyh, our resident expert. I would agree with his ordering. 2298 is just narrow for me. But this should give you an idea of how they stack up.

My order would be 2298 (narrow) < 4537 < 4497 < 4444. But I would call 2298, 4537, and 4497 all true to size; just different.

2298 is tts.
4497 is slightly bigger.
4444 is lots bigger.

Last edited:

davichan

Reaction score
thank you for that! and thank you for the re-share on Zippyh's post as well.
this was very helpful.

princealbert

Reaction score

hi all good folks.

can anyone here who actually has tried on, or owned Trickers in 2298 Last please share some advice on their sizing.

im considering the Trickers Robert shoe

i tend to take a UK7 fitting 5 in boots.
but never really happy with Trickers 4444 or 4497 lasts for shoes.

thank you very much.

I own a pair of Roberts on the 2298 last. I generally struggle with the 4444 last but love the fit of the 2298. No heel slippage and definitely true to size. The Robert is an excellent shoe as well - really underrated IMO, a timeless classic.

Chanklebury

Reaction score

Any comments or experience on this predicament chaps? Seriously considering picking them up in the next few days if I can get them to work. Also is it me, or just the pair of Woodstock I tried, or does the 4497 just feel different in a shoe rather than boot?

Cheers

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Any comments or experience on this predicament chaps? Seriously considering picking them up in the next few days if I can get them to work. Also is it me, or just the pair of Woodstock I tried, or does the 4497 just feel different in a shoe rather than boot? 

Cheers

Not really quite sure what you're asking.
Yes, different models on the same last may feel different based on the style and material. I think with boots your feet might feel more "locked in" than say a 4 eyelet derby.
But I think you're the only one who can answer if the Woodstocks work on your feet.

Chanklebury

Reaction score
Well, as I originally posted in the linked quote I am saying that the Woodstock I tried seemed notably more shallow across the tops of the toes than my previous pair of Trickers in the same size and last - Malton on the 4497.

My query is really whether anyone had any experience with the toe box giving 'vertically' e.g. not just widthways across the ball/footbend or whether anybody else had any comment on the black calf as used on the Woodstock.

My previous pair of Malton didn't need to give, as I say as the toe box just felt that bit more accomodating in depth.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spoke with Richard this morning. It sounds like our Teak Allan boot is about 3 weeks away!!

Chanklebury

Reaction score
Did anyone on here pick up the recent factory shop listing for the 1001 antique Stow ? Size 9.
Not seen this finish in the 'flesh', wouldn't mind an image.

Carson

Reaction score
Thanks to Richard for putting up with me about sizing concerns over way too many emails, however, I can, apparently, pull off a fitting 6 malton, which there was some doubt about. I was never that taken by the C-shade gorse from photos, but in person it is much richer in color and is really quite stunning. The commando malton couldn't be any more awesome, and I couldn't be any happier. I am going to wear the hell out of them.

Tricker's Expert!!

Reaction score
Delighted you are happy with them Sean, and as for the colour, Tricker's 'Cognac' Cream is a near perfect colour match but......Saphir 'Cognac' Pommadier which I use on my Wetherby, adds a little more 'richness' to the colour :)

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lovely Ghillie Boot from Shoe Healer, my girl loves them

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads