1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Sep 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. gr789

gr789 Well-Known Member

The original eyelets were brass and so Rago brothers in Morristown NJ (more known for their leather work in general but they do quite a bit of shoes) only had to replace the last set of speed hooks with new brass eyelets. They shortened the tongue to match the new shaft length but no particular reshaping was done. Hope this helps!

2. gr789

gr789 Well-Known Member

Munky, I am sorry to hear that. You seemed to have been pleased with those shoes up to this point! Usually the heel stack is relatively easy to repair for dainite or similar soles. So it might be worth bringing to a local cobbler first (if you don't mind non Tricker's replacement parts).

3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Thank you very much gr789, that was helpful.

4. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Thanks, gr. Yes, the heels on my first pair of Boughton's seems to have worn very quickly (I bought another pair, fairly recently). They are leather with a rubber bit at the back of the heel. I will, as you suggest, have a chat with my local cobbler and see if he can do it. My latest purchase, Sander's Jude's, have Ridgeway, rubber soles. I am hoping that they will wear more evenly.

I guess I am not too worried about a non-Tricker repair as I think it would take a few years to wear the soles out. Thanks, again, for your help. I plan to stop buying shoes for a while or my suitcase will be on the doorstep. M

5. Hobbs

Hobbs Well-Known Member

What's the sizing consensus on the 4497 last?

If I'm a 7.5UK in the 4444 should I go for an 8UK?

6. mothball

mothball Well-Known Member

That's what I do.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tranklements

Tranklements Member

Quick question about "repurposing" a pair of old Trickers.

I have some black Woodstock shoes that are about 15 years old that I've hardly worn in the last 10 years due to the combination of:

(a) not liking pairing plain black shoes with jeans/chinos (which is all I wear these days)
    and
    (b) and my intense dislike of leather soles as I am forever skidding about the pavement in them.

I already have a pair of similar plain, country style, open-laced shoes but with a commando sole (Edwards of Manchester own brand, as old as the Woodstocks, equally unworn of late) so I was wondering what, if any, options exist to (for want of a better word) "de-formalise" them.

I think they's look great with a natural welt and a dainite sole, possibly even a coloured one. Only trouble is that a basic cobblers resole seems to be about GBP90 so I'm guessing that a re-welt, if even possible, would run to GBP150+. Given that new pairs of shoes can be had from the factory shop for about £250, I'm not sure it represents an economical modification.

Has anybody ever had anything similar done or am I really just wanting too much and I just need to get rid of the Woodstocks and move on?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  8. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Well-Known Member

^Re-heel= local cobbler, but anything re: sole/welt, I'd go to experts who routinely do the procedure you want done.
    Contact Richard [ShoeHealer].

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

both the double leather outsole and double dainite can feel overwhelming. like zippy mentioned go with the white vibram or even better imo is the vibram gumlite sole. feels like a sneaker and coupled with suede makes for an extremely comfortable and lightweight boot

http://www.fransboonestore.com/coll...ne-richard-longwing-brogue-boot-grey-suede-24

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  10. BrogueTrooper

BrogueTrooper Member

Can anyone advise on the quality of different Tricker's Leathers? I've seen a couple of boots in Zug and have a suspicion the leather is not well tanned (I know a bit about leather from my job). The blue/green staining and the slightly acrid smell from chromium tanning noticeable in the boots make me dubious. I'll give Tricker's Zug a miss, but can anyone comment on the quality, durability and longevity of their calf leather?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  11. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

seller doesnt have my size sadly

12. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Waxy suede.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

anyone can comment on the fit , especially in the toebox, of the Kenswick in 5 width? Do they taper of alot? I have very "square" feet, so afraid of tapered shoes..

14. BrogueTrooper

BrogueTrooper Member

^ Not usually one for contrasting welts, but those I like. The waxy suede looks great. Does it seem durable?

15. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Yeah, waxy suede seems very durable.

16. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

nice!

In general the keswick (4444 last) has enough toe room- but its hard to provide a better guess without any other reference points such as your size in other shoes.
    Also, buying the first pair in any last is best done in person, especially for us square-ish footed folk [​IMG]

17. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

^^Thanks! If it was possible, I would definitly prefer buying in person, but dont think Trickers are locally available here.

The only British made boots/shoes I own at the moment are from william lennon, but their lasts are really square so.. Im typically an UK 12 (in paraboot, dr martens, blundstone, you name it), and was measured I think a 13 D on a Brannock device. I still tend to avoid shoes that taper off though, on the inside (pushes against my big toe), and the outside (pushes against pinky toe/next toe)... Its a hassle basically.

18. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Well-Known Member

^Which pair do u have on WL? WWI B5? Those are G-width. If the length fits right & you can take normal width, I'd say same UK sizing on 4497 & size down 1/2 on 4444.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  19. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

I do like Zip's waxy suedes!