• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

cheva

Reaction score
Surprised you find that cheva - I found the 4444 fit significantly more restrictive than the 4497. What were you comparing it to?

i feel great in 7.5G uk for loake 3625last,
great in 7.5F uk loake 1639
great in CJ 7.5F uk 228last
Barker 8F, 029last(not so good in width)
Alden Barrie 8E us(alden is magic - if heel slip, in 30 minutes of walknig - no sliping )))))

so 7.5F uk of last 4444 bit bigger for me. width pretty good. maybe little wide - not so critical.
Problem with heel. may be heel to wide, or last to long for me.

Last edited:

prurient

Reaction score

Surprised you find that cheva - I found the 4444 fit significantly more restrictive than the 4497. What were you comparing it to?

Yeah, I wouldn't say restrictive but my Allan Boot in the 4497 is bigger than my Bowood in the 4444. And the Supershoe in the 4444 is even smaller (same length, but lower instep... need a lot of shoehorn work to get into the shoe).

45bur

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't say restrictive but my Allan Boot in the 4497 is bigger than my Bowood in the 4444. And the Supershoe in the 4444 is even smaller (same length, but lower instep... need a lot of shoehorn work to get into the shoe).
How would you say these lasts compare to the 2298?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

How would you say these lasts compare to the 2298?

2298 is tts.
4497 is slightly bigger.
4444 is lots bigger.

45bur

Reaction score
Huh that's contrary to what prurient says above. So one should size down from 2298 to 4444/4497? In general?

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

prurient

Reaction score

Huh that's contrary to what prurient says above. So one should size down from 2298 to 4444/4497? In general?

Both Tricker's and Tricker's experts like Richard at the Shoe Healer will state that the 4497 is tts and the 4444 more generous. Buyers are advised to size the 4444 one full size down or even one and a half from their US size. I did that when I bought my first pair (US9.5 --> UK8.5) and the fit was perfect. Usually both Tricker's and retailers advise to size the 4497 only half a size down from your US size.

When I bought a pair of Allan boots made in the 4497 last and sized up half a size from the 4444 the shoe ended up waaaayy too big. Then I bought a pair of cordovan in the 4444 in my "regular" size (same as the pair in the 4444 I already owned) and the instep was too low. I basically struggle to get my foot into the shoe. So yeah, my experience following my first purchase has been puzzling. Next time I will stick to a UK 8.5 in both 4444 and 4497 or even go down to a UK8 if I decide to get a more summery shoe.

In the end I think the type of sole ends up playing a part in how the shoe fits. Commando sole maybe force the shoe to be more generous, while a double leather sole will work the opposite. In the end, I can only say that the 4444 lasted bowood with dainite sole is the most comfortable shoe I own (compared against Carmina Forest and Alden Barrie). It's so wide and comfy... Really love it.

Last edited:

ErikW

Reaction score
Both Tricker's and Tricker's experts like Richard at the Shoe Healer will state that the 4497 is tts and the 4444 more generous. Buyers are advised to size the 4444 one full size down or even one and a half from their US size. I did that when I bought my first pair (US9.5 --> UK8.5) and the fit was perfect. Usually both Tricker's and retailers advise to size the 4497 only half a size down from your US size.

When I bought a pair of Allan boots made in the 4497 last and sized up half a size from the 4444 the shoe ended up waaaayy too big. Then I bought a pair of cordovan in the 4444 in my "regular" size (same as the pair in the 4444 I already owned) and the instep was too low. I basically struggle to get my foot into the shoe. So yeah, my experience following my first purchase has been puzzling. Next time I will stick to a UK 8.5 in both 4444 and 4497 or even go down to a UK8 if I decide to get a more summery shoe.

In the end I think the type of sole ends up playing a part in how the shoe fits. Commando sole maybe force the shoe to be more generous, while a double leather sole will work the opposite. In the end, I can only say that the 4444 lasted bowood with dainite sole is the most comfortable shoe I own (compared against Carmina Forest and Alden Barrie). It's so wide and comfy... Really love it.

I'm in the same boat. I'm an 8.5D in most shoes. I bought the 4497s in a 7.5 UK and they fit great. Perhaps a little on the wide side, but no heel slippage or anything. I tried to do a 7UK for the 4444 because I heard that they were "more generous" and they ended up being far too short. Those shoes are now up on the 'Bay.

davichan

Reaction score

i can def sadly agree with this.
i have owned and sold many pairs of Trickers, and still trying always to find the absolute best fit.
it is tricky...and def most tricky for those who are normally .5 half sized foot types.

I also add that not only sole choice (commando or double leather) but also material and style (Stow, Burton, Eaton, ect.) effects the fit feeling on encounters while wearing trickers.
for example.
same size
A double leather suede Stow def feels different then a commando sole scotch grain Eaton, even on identical lasts. brand new.
because there are mm differences and after proper break in, it becomes more apparent to a wearer with attention to proper fit.

don't get me started when you have a resole on an old pair of properly fitting Trickers, that you send back to have resoled onto a different sole type then the original.
and then those come back fitting differently to what you have become family with.
that is a real head ****.

i LOVE Trickers, but hate all this...

Shingles

Reaction score

Regarding the bold and underlined: Wish I would have read that before I ordered my Tricker's (sure I did get sizing advise from the store but turned out to be incorrect).
I think that's absolutely right. I'm a US 7.5/D and 7.0/E (both works) in Alden Barrie last, and i'm returning my Tricker's Burton City Brogue in UK7 4444 last for a UK6 which i'm pretty sure will fit after a couple of weeks wear. Thus 1.5 size smaller from US size!

Carson

Reaction score
Regarding the bold and underlined: Wish I would have read that before I ordered my Tricker's (sure I did get sizing advise from the store but turned out to be incorrect).
I think that's absolutely right. I'm a US 7.5/D and 7.0/E (both works) in Alden Barrie last, and i'm returning my Tricker's Burton City Brogue in UK7 4444 last for a UK6 which i'm pretty sure will fit after a couple of weeks wear. Thus 1.5 size smaller from US size!
I am a 9.5US in standard fitting shoes. The best fit for me in the 4497 is an 8.5UK. I do an 8UK in the 4444. I do a 9D in the Alden Barrie. I have a pair of 4497 Stows in 8UK and I can wear them but if I do too much walking I get bad rubbing on my little toe. They are too short but tolerable in a low walking environment. I have a pair of black stows in a 9UK and while i can also wear them, it helps to have a thicker sock and it's not really ideal. The sweet spot for me, as a 9.5US in 8.5UK in the 4497.

Magnakai

Reaction score
I think the one thing to take away is to try on everything you can. My size 8.5 suede Stows on 4497 are distinctly more comfortable than my side 8.5 calf Logger Boots on 4444. My Logger Boots barely fit, a lot more like the size 8 Stows I tried on.

rainbowgrease

Reaction score
Good evening gentlemen.
We are looking for 1 more individual to complete this Burgundy Stow MTO bulk order.

This boot will be based on the Brooklyn Circus stow shown below, there are some modifications made to our MTO
such as color and eyelets.

Here are the specifications:

Model: Stow (Kelmscott)
Last: 4444 / Fitting 5
Colour:
* Burgundy scotch grain on Toe Cap, Facings, Quarters and Heel Counter.
* Burgundy calf on Vamp and Tongue.
* Burgundy burnished calf on the backstrip.
Lining: Red Calf Lining.
Pull Loops: Red Pull Loops.
Eyelet: Dark Brown Eyelets.
Laces: Dark Brown Waxed Cord Laces.
Welt: Barbour Welt in Natural Finish.
Sole: Dainite Sole in Red.

These images should give you an idea on what the boot will look like.
Please PM me if you would like to be included in this great order.
I am awaiting final pricing confirmation from Richard
I suspect it will be the standard £325.00 for EU customers and around $515 for us customer.

This is an additional example of the dark eyelets with another Burgundy scotch grain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads