1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Sep 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

I emailed Tricker's about a pair before I bought them, and they told me that the finishing simply wasn't up to their standards. After buying and examining the shoes, all I know is that their standards are higher than mine, because I couldn't see anything wrong.

2. princealbert

princealbert Well-Known Member

The Malton and the stow are basically the same boot, but the Malton normally comes in Tricker's signature colour of C Shade and is also available in 6 fitting. It is made of gorse leather which is slightly thicker than the leather on Stows and very weather resistant.

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

This was already answered, but worth mentioning that Shoehealer has a great explanation of the different Tricker's models. Tricker's often uses different names for the same shoe, just differentiating colors or widths. It's a bit confusing in that way.

http://www.shoehealer.co.uk/trickers/useful-information

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Are you referring to "Chromexcel"? This is a specific type and brand of leather made by Horween. It is impregnated with extra oils and does have more of a "roll" rather than a "crease". It also should be brushed, but not polished.

This is not a leather specific to all Tricker's shoes - just the leather on your particular pair. However, I do agree with your statement that Tricker's in general are finished to a higher standard than Loake 1880, and they use more expensive leathers. The quality assessment is subjective, of course, but also supported by the price difference.

http://horween.com/101/chromexcel-2/

5. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks for this, Kmd. The response, from Tricker's, is a bit ambiguous. The shoes were MTO for my local, posh, shoe shop. Tricker's, in their e mail, wrote:

"I've spoken to our leather buyer and he advises that your MTO shoes are not specifically CXL.
    CXL (Chromexcel) refers to the tanning method used in making the Lollipop Cavalier leather, however your pair is made using chrome tanned leather".

The leather really does feel different to any of my other shoes and after wearing them for most of today, there is no sign of creasing, across the vamp.

6. Munky

Munky Senior member

[​IMG]

This is an internet photo of my nice, new Tricker's. The only difference is that mine have a double thickness sole and an all leather heel stack.

1 person likes this.
  7. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Nice lookin' shoes Munky; like my boots in shoe form. While I'm sure you wear them most confidently, I can confirm that a few light coats of black cream around the toe box, wing edges and counter add a nice bit of antiquing. Looks great when you get a little black polish into the broguing and stitches. A first application of Saphir Reno made the color a bit deeper as well.

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks, Boston. After a cocktail of gin and valium, I ventured out, bravely, in my red shoes. Thank's for your suggestion about using black to add to the patina. I have done something similar with brown shoes, in the past. I guess, for the moment, I will leave my red shoes to bask in the sun. [​IMG] Such as it is.

9. meso

meso Senior member

Chrome tanning is a different process & leather from chromexcel (even though they both have the word chrome in it).

10. Baldrick

Baldrick Well-Known Member

Everytime i see lolipop boot i curse myself for not buying them when they were readily available......anyone up for gmto ....... Same makeup as in this pic ....open to changes

1 person likes this.
  11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Some cheapish Mogano cordovan Stows available from retrickers. Sizes going fast.

12. BostonHedonist

I suppose I should be grateful that there are no size 8s. Cordovan Stows for $450 USD is a rare sight indeed and I'm still busy breaking in my lollipop cavaliers!

1 person likes this.
  13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

They ended up being $415 shipped after VAT refund. :D

1 person likes this.
  14. BostonHedonist

15. Carson

Carson Senior member

Geez, I go away for a couple of days, and I miss the Welt War!

16. Carson

Carson Senior member

The 9's are tempting….but I might hold out for another potential cipresso MTO from Richard...

17. Carson

Carson Senior member

I like your red shoes and wouldn't try and mess with the color. Wear them with pride! : )

18. cordroto

cordroto Member

My new teak shell boots from Richard:

4 people like this.
  19. Munky

Munky Senior member

Hello Carson, this is a picture of my bright red shoes which is more like the real thing, only the shoes, here, are green rather than red ( I guess you spotted that) :

[​IMG]

The welt war seems, mostly, to have subsided. At least, there is a truce. We must engage in watchful waiting, though, for sporadic breakouts.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  20. Carson

Carson Senior member

A great shoe, Munky....

I was going to make another bad welt joke, but perhaps I should keep things quiet on the welt front...

1 person likes this.