• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

seer

Reaction score
MensReverie-Pitti83-Trickers-FW13_20-600x400.jpg

Really?

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious to people who own both Stow Shoes and boots... how do you wear them different? Do you ever feel more inclined to wear the shoe more than the boot with a certain type of outfit?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
By "Stow Shoes" do you mean Bourtons?
I tend to prefer to wear Stow boots rather than Bourtons mainly because they're on different lasts.
The 4497 feels better on my foot than the 4444.

Outfit-wise I treat them pretty much the same.

buzzlulu

Reaction score
I have a pair of Stow's size 81/2 (my US size is 91/2-10) - they fit perfectly
I just got a pair of special Bowoods from Selfridges - sized down to an 8 - not that thrilled as too much heel slippage. The 4444 is a FULL fitting last!

How are oxfords on the 4497 last - do they fit the same as Stow boots? For that matter are there any oxfords made on the 4497 or are they all custom mto's?

Gregg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I have a pair of Stow's size 81/2 (my US size is 91/2-10) - they fit perfectly
I just got a pair of special Bowoods from Selfridges - sized down to an 8 - not that thrilled as too much heel slippage.  The 4444 is a FULL fitting last!

How are oxfords on the 4497 last - do they fit the same as Stow boots?  For that matter are there any oxfords made on the 4497 or are they all custom mto's?

Gregg

By "oxford" do you mean derby or blucher?
The Woodstock and Kendal derbys are standard on the 4497. They fit pretty much the same as Stows.

buzzlulu

Reaction score
By "oxford" do you mean derby or blucher?
The Woodstock and Kendal derbys are standard on the 4497. They fit pretty much the same as Stows.
By oxford I mean any lace up shoe (I designed shoes for 25 years).
A blucher I refer to as a lace up like most of Trickers oxfords where as a Bal (or Balmoral) has a "V" type closure.

Since the 4444 is a full fitting last - and I have a normal American "D" width (not "E" slightly larger yet not classified as a "W") when I lace up the Bowoods I find that the "facings" (as Richard at Shoe Healer refers to them on his website) always touch each other. The 4444, for my foot, is simply too large and high on the instep.

The issue of heel slippage is further compounded by the fact that Trickers seems to seldom use a non slip sueded heel counter - there is smooth calf leather in the counter - something which also contributes to heel slippage.

The Woodstock and Kendal do not appeal to me - would love to see any of the classic lace ups (Bourton Wing Tip Oxford or Eaton Cap Toe Oxford) in the more narrow fitting 4497 last.

Best
Gregg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Although I'm American, when I hear "Oxford" I take it to mean Balmorals.

I think the only way you're going to get a Bourton on the 4497 is through a MTO.
Also, consider the W2298 last. It's narrower than the 4497 but still has that country bulkiness.
The seemingly endless supply of faux Stows on Sierra Trading Post are on the 2298.

seer

Reaction score

I think the only way you're going to get a Bourton on the 4497 is through a MTO.
Also, consider the W2298 last. It's narrower than the 4497 but still has that country bulkiness.
The seemingly endless supply of faux Stows on Sierra Trading Post are on the 2298.
Is there something wrong with the boots from Sierra Trading Post?

buzzlulu

Reaction score
Zippyh

I think that the connotation of associating Oxford with a Bal, at least here in America, is most likely due to the proliferation of one of the most famous shoes throughout the years - the JAZZ OXFORD (which is a bal). This is a style which comes in and out of vogue every few years (it was in a few years ago for teens and young women (my 15 year olds purchased several pairs)).

For mens shoes in America the Bal has always been more popular than the Blucher while I believe that in England it has been the opposite.

I currently have three pairs of Trickers :
a pair of Stows in waxy commander natural double leather sole 81/2

a Kurt Geiger "Stow" limited edition from last winter c shade with a grain motorcycle patch on the toe and side grain quarters / commando sole (Richard informed me that this Stow was not made on a 4497 but rather a special last made for the Italian market only offered in whole sizes (I took an 8)

my most recent pair bought last month - another Kurt Geiger special (done with the Selfridges label) a Bowood wing tip with grain in the center and a black patent leather heel counter. It is this last shoe - on the 4444 last - which fits "full" - even though I sized down to an 8.

In summary I think that I will most likely be relegated to 4497 lasts - most likely boots. I participated in my first forum mto - the lollipop red Eaton done on the 4497 last. I also communicated with Richard and was somewhat convincing to get him to do the Monkey Boot - which I will also take.

I would love a classic Bourton in Acorn however - alas - if it fits like my Bowood (same last) I am sure I will not be that happy with the fit.

Best
Gregg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Is there something wrong with the boots from Sierra Trading Post?

Nothing at all wrong with them. In the past there were a bunch of people who ordered them expecting Stows on the 4497 last but they're on the slimmer W2298 last.
They look like Stows, but they're not and were dubbed the Not-Stow. I didn't mean to imply there was anything fake about them.
STP seems like they've been restocking them every 6 months or so for a few years. That seems pretty regular for something dubbed a closeout.
There's some question whether they're made special for STP. Lately I've seen a few pairs of seconds on Tricker's ebay shop identical to the STP styles.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

In summary I think that I will most likely be relegated to 4497 lasts - most likely boots.  I participated in my first forum mto - the lollipop red Eaton done on the 4497 last.  I also communicated with Richard and was somewhat convincing to get him to do the Monkey Boot - which I will also take.

What are the specs on the Monkey Boots?

I almost bought some Acorn Monkey Boots from the Tricker's ebay shop but realized they were on the 4444 last.
I've got lollipop red ones on the 5402 which fit pretty TTS so the 4444 would have been a mistake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads