• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

princealbert

Reaction score
Really? Dubbin on a flat tone matted leather. Did you try it on then? What did you make of it?
Yes, I did use it on a pair of stow / Maltons that I previously owned. We’re going back 10+ years but from what I recall I used it sparingly and it worked ok.
Probably worth bearing in mind that the c shade gorse leather was originally used to cope with heavy use in the countryside rather than for its aesthetic qualities. But despite what Trickers may be saying now, I’m convinced that using polish will result in a more shiny finish and (in my opinion) that doesn’t look great on the gorse leather.

MarkinLondon

Reaction score
A question about polishing C-Shade Tan. Tricker's advise to use "Neutral Polish to help maintain a pair of shoes in C-Shade. If you would like to add some more colour to your C-Shade leather then they advise using Fawn Polish". Has anyone here used fawn polish on c-shade tan? Does it alter the colour or matt texture of the c-shade leather as a result?
Shoe Healer has a nice video about this very question. I’ve got a pair of Bourtons that I use Saphir neutral cream on, but a year from now I might use one of these suggestions.

I have to also add that after being caught in the rain, it became quickly evident that they wanted a spray of Super Invulner to keep water from the brougueing.

Last edited:

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Isn't fawn also used for the Acorn Antique? And doesn't Dubbin darken your boots?

For the Acorn I'm using Saphir neutral creme and wax now. Without the shine, it looks very dull/lifeless/used. The Acorn doesn't lend itself for a mirror polish, but with some shine it pops nicer.

Don't know about C-shade, never seen it in real life. I find those two colors difficult to describe but both beautiful.

Yes i assumed dubbin would make it darker. But i don't have experience. Would be interested to hear more about the idea of applying dubbin to c-shade tan leather. For now I'm assuming neutral polish is the safest option.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Yes, I did use it on a pair of stow / Maltons that I previously owned. We’re going back 10+ years but from what I recall I used it sparingly and it worked ok.
Probably worth bearing in mind that the c shade gorse leather was originally used to cope with heavy use in the countryside rather than for its aesthetic qualities. But despite what Trickers may be saying now, I’m convinced that using polish will result in a more shiny finish and (in my opinion) that doesn’t look great on the gorse leather.

Just seeing this message after my last post.
I agree @princealbert that the gorse leather matt finish is what makes the c-shade tan unique and and that this should be maintained. Might have to experiment with a bit of Dubbin on it.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Shoe Healer has a nice video about this very question. I’ve got a pair of Bourtons that I use Saphir neutral cream on, but a year from now I might use one of these suggestions.

I have to also add that after being caught in the rain, it began quickly evident that they wanted a spray of Super Invulner to keep water from the brougueing.

Thanks for sharing link

princealbert

Reaction score

I have to also add that after being caught in the rain, it began quickly evident that they wanted a spray of Super Invulner to keep water from the brougueing.

I would always respect the advice from the guys at Shoehealer. If they say it works then I’m sure it does.

BSTM

Reaction score

very nice boots but only in:

Aside from limited sizes I note they priced them up at £450 - which I think is a bit steep for the Factory Shop

BSTM

Reaction score
Just seeing this message after my last post.
I agree @princealbert that the gorse leather matt finish is what makes the c-shade tan unique and and that this should be maintained. Might have to experiment with a bit of Dubbin on it.
Re the Shoe Healer video the cream they recommend as nearest colour match is: Sovereign Shoe Cream in Light Tan 18

I find the matt of C shade doesn't need much by way of maintenance, but when I do need to spruce them up, then I will try the above 'cos I don't want to change the colour. All up a most useful video.

Ypuh

Reaction score
Is the C Shade not only a different tone, but also a different/thicker leather?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Sun shines on the righteous.. and me..
IMG_5868.jpeg

WS19

Reaction score

very nice boots but only in:

Nice. They look like the Division Road model, which I could sworn was sold out in 11 before it disappeared from DR's site.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mackattack27