• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh. 😒 On one of their most boring styles and at such a high price. Pass.
So you would prefer they were made up on a Stow or Gregory toe-cap and the leather be spoiled by brogueing? You don't need to add bells and whistles when you have a rich canvas to work with. I don't like the high prices either but these are only £10 more the rest of their retail line so not really a surprise.

Last edited:

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
So you would prefer they were made up on a Stow or Gregory toe-cap and the leather be spoiled by brogueing? You don't need to add bells and whistles when you have a rich canvas to work with. I don't like the high prices either but these are only £10 more the rest of their retail line so not really a surprise.
Well said @ike_hiking_boots
Also given that Tricker's declared that it's a 100 pairs limited run, the pricing is on par with their regular collection. Thats not to say i like the high prices. But Trickers seem to get a lot of slagging over its pricing (while C&J seem to be let off over its pricing).

Last edited:

SumDude

Reaction score

There are better styles that don’t have brogueing. Dean, tramping boot, and even a split toe. I already have two pair of Trickers with bison from DR.

As for pricing, I would rather support Afinepairofshoes, Shoe Healer, DR, etc who have better make ups at lower prices.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Well now I need to see those. Thats a damn fine looking pair of boots.
IMG_7653.jpeg

Those are the ones mate

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are better styles that don’t have brogueing. Dean, tramping boot, and even a split toe. I already have two pair of Trickers with bison from DR.

As for pricing, I would rather support Afinepairofshoes, Shoe Healer, DR, etc who have better make ups at lower prices.
Those aren’t really better styles, they’re different styles that you prefer. I don’t mind the Tramping but the Dean is a cap-toe, cap-toe can look great on an Oxford but I'd prefer a plain toe on a boot. We can agree to disagree. I’ll pass on the split-toe. My ideal boot would be a whole-cut, brown buffalo on a black commando, blind eyelets, leather laces and a small leather pull-tab but this is Tricker’s we're talking about so it’s never going to happen.

As for lower prices. I’m in the UK so I’m looking at this from the view of a UK customer and the prices are the same at AFPOS and Shoe Healer. If you’re in the US you’ll get the VAT taken off which is why you'll see a lower price. I’m led to believe that Tricker’s don’t treat export orders in the same way which is probably why there’s a price discrepancy. As for Division Road it’ll be down to local taxes being different to the UK. If I import from DR the price will be way higher once duties have been applied.

Yes, I agree that the more interesting make-ups are being created by the independent retailers. Unfortunately Tricker’s are a stubborn company that appear to be stuck in their ways, but I digress. I wasn’t aware that DR had made Tricker's in Buffalo. I assume that’s your DR caps-toe Dean in black Buffalo you’ve posted up? Sweet.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Those aren’t really better styles, they’re different styles that you prefer. I don’t mind the Tramping but the Dean is a cap-toe, cap-toe can look great on an Oxford but I'd prefer a plain toe on a boot. We can agree to disagree. I’ll pass on the split-toe. My ideal boot would be a whole-cut, brown buffalo on a black commando, blind eyelets, leather laces and a small leather pull-tab but this is Tricker’s we're talking about so it’s never going to happen.

As for lower prices. I’m in the UK so I’m looking at this from the view of a UK customer and the prices are the same at AFPOS and Shoe Healer. If you’re in the US you’ll get the VAT taken off which is why you'll see a lower price. I’m led to believe that Tricker’s don’t treat export orders in the same way which is probably why there’s a price discrepancy. As for Division Road it’ll be down to local taxes being different to the UK. If I import from DR the price will be way higher once duties have been applied.

Yes, I agree that the more interesting make-ups are being created by the independent retailers. Unfortunately Tricker’s are a stubborn company that appear to be stuck in their ways, but I digress. I wasn’t aware that DR had made Tricker's in Buffalo. I assume that’s your DR caps-toe Dean in black Buffalo you’ve posted up? Sweet.
Tricker's direct US prices are ridiculous now.
Boot prices are $795 or about 628GBP.
UK price is 585GBP.
Most all retailers, including AFPOS, take off VAT bringing the price to 487GBP.

The Division Road prices are for their latest makeups are $685, which is still less than Tricker's direct to US prices. There's some apples and oranges comparison there since depending upon which state you live in, there will be sales tax from 0 to 11ish%.

I love my Tricker's but there ain't no way they're worth $800.

DrJezza

Reaction score
Been wanting a pair of tricker's for a while, and deciding between a stow and malton. Sizing is the issue for me, where I'm at 12.5D on the Brannock. Finding a 4497s last stow boot is pretty difficult in 11.5 UK, but seeing recommendations to size down a half for the Malton, although this is on the wider last.
Has anyone tried on the Malton with a "normal" width, and does the sizing recommendation work?

Fenners81

Reaction score
Been wanting a pair of tricker's for a while, and deciding between a stow and malton. Sizing is the issue for me, where I'm at 12.5D on the Brannock. Finding a 4497s last stow boot is pretty difficult in 11.5 UK, but seeing recommendations to size down a half for the Malton, although this is on the wider last.
Has anyone tried on the Malton with a "normal" width, and does the sizing recommendation work?
Not sure what you mean by Malton in a normal width... In terms of going down half a size in 6 fit, I have found this can work. My Matlock are 6 fit 4497 and half a size smaller than my 5 fit Woodstocks. I would add that it's not a perfect solution though. If you look at trickers width chart, 6 fit in half a size down are actually wider than their 5 fit full size equivalent, so as long as the length isn't an issue this could be OK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads