• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Pretty sure you're the reason I never find interesting Tricker's in size 9 on ebay. I've heard good things about the Vibram Ridgeway style sole. Any notable difference to the OG?
Ha, I do t tend to buy stuff off their. These were in Aus and went v cheap so was worth a punt with resole in mind, the Vibram version of the Ridgeway (similar pattern as opposed to version is probably correct way to phrase it) is noticeably softer underfoot.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hi all! First time writer but I've been lurking here since my trickers addiction started in August of last year. Since then I've bought six pairs of trickers and this post is regarding the latest pair I purchased. They are a pair of Ethan monkey boots in snuff kudu over Ridgeway from their construct range. I wanted to get your take on a couple of issues that I don't know whether to make a fuss about.

First off is the eyelets and speed hooks. In the pictures on trickers website they are clearly brass. But my pair are a dark metal, not sure what. The brass hardware was actually something I really liked about the design and it was a bit of a disappointment to see they were not as in the pictures.

The other issue is a small notch on the uppers just above the welt. It feels like the outer shell of the skin has been opened up and I can feel the grain inside the leather through the little pening. I suspect this is an insect bite or or damage that had occured before making the shoes and that they may have been aiming to put behind the welt so it wouldn't be noticeable but unfortunately it's visible above the welt. Do you think this will be an issue in the future?

I will try to attach pictures of the issues below.

Thank you for your help!
View attachment 2137257 View attachment 2137259 View attachment 2137261
I’d got mine as an outlet second and hadn’t noticed the eyelets as that was the only one on there, it’s a stunning colour. Does look substantially different to the pic you bought off though.

Attachments

• IMG_7119.jpeg
    IMG_7119.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 56

Alpackino

Reaction score
I love how creepy your intro is!

I don't think the notch above the welt will cause any issues, but I'm a big believer that you need to feel completely satisfied at this price. If it annoys you, and the eyelets are not as advertised and less to your liking then return them.

Agree with @Fenners81
Eyelets not as expected + mark + full price = return.
I don’t think the mark will be a problem though.
Thank you both for your feedback! I'll send trickers an email and ask for the reason for the discrepancy in eyelet material. Maybe they'll give me a discount or something since I still do like the shoes, I just would have liked them more if they were as advertised. Another strange thing I noticed is that the description says they have a half bellows tongue, but unless I've misunderstood what that means, they don't. The shoes are open all the way from almost the toe cap. I don't mind this though, as I think this is just how monkey boots are constructed. But it's strange that it's in the description.

Alpackino

Reaction score
I’d got mine as an outlet second and hadn’t noticed the eyelets as that was the only one on there, it’s a stunning colour. Does look substantially different to the pic you bought off though.
Really? I didn't think they sold their construct range in the factory shop. Do yours have a flaw or something prevented them from selling them in the regular shop?

I agree it's a great colour. I love that the brown has a reddish hue. I would also like a pair in sign kudu!

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, I do t tend to buy stuff off their. These were in Aus and went v cheap so was worth a punt with resole in mind, the Vibram version of the Ridgeway (similar pattern as opposed to version is probably correct way to phrase it) is noticeably softer underfoot.
Have to request you show us the sole or post a product link Crafty, I'm genuinely intrigued to see this sole!

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all! First time writer but I've been lurking here since my trickers addiction started in August of last year. Since then I've bought six pairs of trickers and this post is regarding the latest pair I purchased. They are a pair of Ethan monkey boots in snuff kudu over Ridgeway from their construct range. I wanted to get your take on a couple of issues that I don't know whether to make a fuss about…
I think your first port of call is to contact Tricker's Customer Service, especially if you paid full retail. Is it possible they've sent you samples because it sure looks like it. You have two options: Tricker's offer you a significant discount (I wouldn't hold your breath) or return for refund - they should send you a free returns label if the goods don't match the description.

Alpackino

Reaction score
I think your first port of call is to contact Tricker's Customer Service, especially if you paid full retail. Is it possible they've sent you samples because it sure looks like it. You have two options: Tricker's offer you a significant discount (I wouldn't hold your breath) or return for refund - they should send you a free returns label if the goods don't match the description.
I will do this. Hopefully they give me a good discount (something like the factory shop prices) or replace them. Unfortunately I don't think replacing will be an option since the 9,5 are sold out but I can hope.

Fenners81

Reaction score
I will do this. Hopefully they give me a good discount (something like the factory shop prices) or replace them. Unfortunately I don't think replacing will be an option since the 9,5 are sold out but I can hope.
Please let me know if they offer you a good discount and I'll keep an eye out for the flying pigs.

Sole Boy

Reaction score
OOoh I do like these. Have them on ice with a friend and am wondering whether to sell my pair.
Thank you, I am very pleased with them. Hang on to them would be my advice 👍

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Really? I didn't think they sold their construct range in the factory shop. Do yours have a flaw or something prevented them from selling them in the regular shop?

I agree it's a great colour. I love that the brown has a reddish hue. I would also like a pair in sign kudu!
Was maybe a sample or second mate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads