• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Gold MC is an excellent choice. I’ve used neutral or fawn Tricker’s branded polish on mine. It’s rebranded Saphir.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Green Bourtons..
IMG_5225.jpeg

The_O

Reaction score
Scored a pair of new Stow from Gumtree for $225 AUD ($118 GBP). The bright red and white eyelets looks great, but don't suit many occasions, I wanted something more richer darker red, like the Lollipop colour. Being a bargain I decided to do a DIY project, I stripped the eyelets to bare copper and dyed the boots with Angelus Oxblood, alcohol base dye. It's not quite finish just yet, I still need to hit it with Fiebing's Tan-kote, which I'm still waiting for in the mail. This DIY dye job is completely new to me, so I'm learning the whole process through YouTube and forums.

Attachments

• IMG_20231226_172754.jpg
    IMG_20231226_172754.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20240113_175544.jpg
    IMG_20240113_175544.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 107

Fenners81

Reaction score
Scored a pair of new Stow from Gumtree for $225 AUD ($118 GBP). The bright red and white eyelets looks great, but don't suit many occasions, I wanted something more richer darker red, like the Lollipop colour. Being a bargain I decided to do a DIY project, I stripped the eyelets to bare copper and dyed the boots with Angelus Oxblood, alcohol base dye. It's not quite finish just yet, I still need to hit it with Fiebing's Tan-kote, which I'm still waiting for in the mail. This DIY dye job is completely new to me, so I'm learning the whole process through YouTube and forums.
Well, all I can say is that you've turned a complete horror show, into a stunning pair of Stows. Well done lad.

Areni-1

Reaction score
Wow. I saw these and was thinking of doing the exact same thing. Great to see they turned out so well.

How’s you strip the eyelets and what’s the tan for? The edges?
And how many coats did you use of the of blood dye?

The_O

Reaction score
That looks like a massive improvement. Please share some more pics when the project is complete.
I will do, with detailed steps that I took. It will take another week or so, as I'm waiting for neatsfoot oil & Tan-Kote. I will see how that goes, this is all new to me, as it's my first try. I will share my mistakes so that someone else who may want to tackle a similar project will have a better understanding of the process and do it better.

kelster

Reaction score
If you have wide feet then it's possible that 4444 last in the same size could rub your pinky. The half a size smaller rule in 4444 does generally apply but it does taper in more quickly at the toe than the 4497 and so certain foot shapes (like mine) still feel more of a pinch with the Bourton than Stow.
I have 2 pairs of bourton (4444) and find my uk 7 in width (5) to be tight as with yours, but width (6) to be perfect…my Stow in 7.5 and width (5) however are also perfect

Fenners81

Reaction score
I have 2 pairs of bourton (4444) and find my uk 7 in width (5) to be tight as with yours, but width (6) to be perfect…my Stow in 7.5 and width (5) however are also perfect
Yes, the general rules on fit are true for the most part, but only for more typical foot shapes. I guess you are also gaining some width by being half a size up on your 4497 models but I even find 4444 in the same size to be more restrictive in the width.

The_O

Reaction score
I stripped the eyelets with paint stripper, any paint stripper from a local hardware store will do, just make sure you read reviews to make sure it will do the job. I put painters tape around the eyelets and dabbed the eyelets using a Q-tip cotton bud, I only did the external and halfway in.
The edges were covered with painter's tape as well, I pushed the tape between the shoe welt with a Nail file (See pic 3).
I prepared the leather with acetone prior to dyeing the leather, wiping off any surface wax. The the reddish edge is from the dye rub off as I brushed the boots, at first I was going to remove the rub offs from the welt, but it grew on me so I left it as is. I used 4 coats trying to get it as even as possible (had to dib dab extra here and there for different effects and some parts of the leather soaked in more than some so had to add in places to look even). I am going to apply neats foot oil to help set the dye then Tan-Kote on top of that. I will update when I do. As is the dye has very minimal rub off, but I would like it to really set in, just in case I get caught up in fairly wet weather, as I don't want the dye bleed off all over the place.

Attachments

• IMG_20231226_191153.jpg
    IMG_20231226_191153.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20231226_191208.jpg
    IMG_20231226_191208.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20240105_233717.jpg
    IMG_20240105_233717.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Areni-1

Reaction score
I stripped the eyelets with paint stripper, any paint stripper from a local hardware store will do, just make sure you read reviews to make sure it will do the job. I put painters tape around the eyelets and dabbed the eyelets using a Q-tip cotton bud, I only did the external and halfway in.
The edges were covered with painter's tape as well, I pushed the tape between the shoe welt with a Nail file (See pic 3).
I prepared the leather with acetone prior to dyeing the leather, wiping off any surface wax. The the reddish edge is from the dye rub off as I brushed the boots, at first I was going to remove the rub offs from the welt, but it grew on me so I left it as is. I used 4 coats trying to get it as even as possible (had to dib dab extra here and there for different effects and some parts of the leather soaked in more than some so had to add in places to look even). I am going to apply neats foot oil to help set the dye then Tan-Kote on top of that. I will update when I do. As is the dye has very minimal rub off, but I would like it to really set in, just in case I get caught up in fairly wet weather, as I don't want the dye bleed off all over the place.
Thanks. Thats much more work than I imagined, so well done.

I’ve always wanted a pair of oxblood Trickers that look like Solovairs/Dr Martens but with Tricksrs superior build quality.
Trickers have a pair on their website but I haven’t been able to justify bookbinder leather at that price, plus they come with leather soles.

So this is a tempting project. Make my own with the leather and soles I’d prefer.

Keen to see the finished product.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soleord