• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a buddy who returned some Stows because of that medallion under welt issue.

princealbert

Reaction score
I have a buddy who returned some Stows because of that medallion under welt issue.
I can understand that. When you loose a large chunk of the medallion it alters the aesthetic of the shoe / boot imo.

Fedoraguy

Reaction score
I just picked up these suede Roberts deeply discounted. I plan to wear them with casual trousers and jeans.
FD9FEEAF-E7A7-4B8E-BBC5-C4864758068A.jpeg

CZZ300

Reaction score
in my opinion misaligned eyelets / facings are definitely a defect and should really be sold as ‘subs’. Having said that, there are lacing techniques that can be used to re-align them.
Much as I love Tricker’s the other thing that bugs me is the way in which the medallion on Bourtons and Stows is often badly positioned so that part of it disappears into the welt. It tends to be more of a problem on smaller sizes.
I have seen a pair with the medallion partially hidden in one boot and not in another! I almost bought them only to notice the problem at the last minute. Rather surprising for a company that takes so much pride in its production quality and control.

BSTM

Reaction score
This made me laugh :laugh:

I think their justification could have been more along the lines of: "we realised that the Division Road make ups are f**cking awesome, so decided to sell some ourselves".

Yep - just what I thought! I got some Robert's in Horween Natural Dublin from Div Rd a few weeks ago and just love them (despite the UK imported price)

Attachments

• trickers-horween.jpg
    trickers-horween.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 108

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
This made me laugh :laugh:

I think their justification could have been more along the lines of: "we realised that the Division Road make ups are f**cking awesome, so decided to sell some ourselves".
One million percent ..

SumDude

Reaction score
I can't wait to see what they have to offer. Although I just ordered two pair from Division Road. ?

Mart73

Reaction score
in my opinion misaligned eyelets / facings are definitely a defect and should really be sold as ‘subs’. Having said that, there are lacing techniques that can be used to re-align them.
Much as I love Tricker’s the other thing that bugs me is the way in which the medallion on Bourtons and Stows is often badly positioned so that part of it disappears into the welt. It tends to be more of a problem on smaller sizes.
It's a lottery to find a pair of Tricker's boots with correctly aligned laces like a pair of Clark's. Here's a pair of Tricker's Allan boots which have the same fault. Note the misaligned facings causing the eyelets on the left boot to appear staggered. The outer left side is forward of the right side by about 1/2 cm and can't be corrected with lacing. Dismantling the boots may be an option, but replacement would be more cost-effective. Hopefully, the new Allan boots to be released on 15th October would pass QC.

I'd like to see a photo of the badly positioned medallions. That would also suggest a problem with consistent alignment of the facings. The Henry style luckily seems immune.

Attachments

• Wonky.jpg
    Wonky.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 98

Mart73

Reaction score
I'm going to check my Tricker's boots for the medallion under welt issue. In glancing through recent posts, not many of the laces are level, or rather the facings are sometimes way out of alignment so that the whole boots is twisted.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's not hard to find poorly positioned medallions. This pair is especially bad since they're not even.
WU2LPp7.jpeg

These are probably ok.
bourton_5633_4_detail_original_89147.jpg

This is from the Tricker's product page.
stow_acorn_5634_24_detail.jpg

No medallion issue with these though.
QKRLMGQbSfmuOyO-JbupAg.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads