• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Richard Smith

Reaction score
agree with @Richard Smith , it's better to choose a shoe-tree that repeats the shape as close as possible
i've had original trickers shoe-trees with my bourtons(4444 last) they weren't fitting very tightly, then i've put some other cedar shoe-trees, they were bigger and they have slightly stretched the shoes making it more roomier widthwise
i don't think it's supposed to be like that but actually it was what i wanted
The cedar trees I keep have a centre screw for width adjustment, so it can be closed up or let out whichever fits best :)

Crafty Cumbrian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how long that vibram sole usually lasts ?
i've seen people wearing redwings around and most of the times it looks quite shabby
Think they last ages to be fair.. I bought with the intention of sending to have a resole done. Fancy something like Ridgeway or even Commando.

would look great on double leather but I recently got a Grenson which is similar...

I like the comfort of the white soles but not always the aesthetic. A lot of the Red Wing crew are patina obsessed too!

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think they last ages to be fair.. I bought with the intention of sending to have a resole done. Fancy something like Ridgeway or even Commando.

would look great on double leather but I recently got a Grenson which is similar...

I like the comfort of the white soles but not always the aesthetic. A lot of the Red Wing crew are patina obsessed too!
My Red Wing chukka’s are coming up 5 years old and worn fairly regularly. The white sole is only just starting to show some significant wear.

Very comfortable too.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Grenson One Range monkey is simply beautiful. Generally I prefer Trickers but that is just about perfect and o e of the few boots I’ve genuinely been wowed by.
I had a feeling it would be the Grenson. Shame they don’t make more of that kind of standard really.

LippyLee

Reaction score
I have a few pairs of Grenson, mainly Triple Welts (which are a bit like Marmite, love 'em or hate 'em). The most recent is a pair of Curt Triple Welts, an absolutely lovely shoe with real presence. Grenson do quite a few styles I'm really not keen on though. Same with some Kudu Fred Triple welts, really soft leather and very comfortable. The work well for me but my son has trouble with the floating tongue slipping to one side, whereas most of the Trickers boots seem to have a gusseted tongue which helps to keep them located.

Crafty Cumbrian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few pairs of Grenson, mainly Triple Welts (which are a bit like Marmite, love 'em or hate 'em). The most recent is a pair of Curt Triple Welts, an absolutely lovely shoe with real presence. Grenson do quite a few styles I'm really not keen on though. Same with some Kudu Fred Triple welts, really soft leather and very comfortable. The work well for me but my son has trouble with the floating tongue slipping to one side, whereas most of the Trickers boots seem to have a gusseted tongue which helps to keep them located.
Agree on the tongue front..I’ve only one other pair which is a Fred triple..

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at Crafty's very smart new suede shoes, I have two questions. What are the essential differences between monkey boots and leather hi-tops? What are the essential differences between Kudu and other sorts of suede? Any thoughts would be very welcome! With thanks and best wishes, Munky.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.