• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

VegasRebel

Reaction score
In the US at least, Alden and Tricker’s are similar price. Division Road has Stows for $545. A comparable Alden non Cordovan will be about $595.

I thought it was strange, but the Stows were a bit cheaper from Tricker's directly. After conversion I paid about $505 shipped from England, and they're supposed to be here within four business days. DR seems a bit high on the price, though returns would probably be easier if needed.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Buying Trickers from uk to us has always been cheaper. You save VAT and there are so many more places to buy from with many opportunities for discounts. DR is the standout for us retailers of Trickers. Crockett and Jones also end up being worth ordering from the uk.

Reaction score
Thoughts on boot trees? Do you use them in your trickers?
I am thinking about a pair of Henry’s, and wondering if I should get some trees too. Doesn’t look like tricker’s offer them for sale so I’m thinking maybe unnecessary.

monkey66

Reaction score
I am thinking about a pair of Henry’s, and wondering if I should get some trees too. Doesn’t look like tricker’s offer them for sale so I’m thinking maybe unnecessary.
I use regular trees in mine with no problems, pretty solid construction.

VegasRebel

Reaction score
Well, these are an absolute delight. Wonderfully packaged, fit like a glove, beautiful color, and I don't think they could have gotten here any faster. I ordered on Friday, they shipped on Monday, here today.

I love them!

Attachments

• 20200728_142807.jpg
    20200728_142807.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200728_144327.jpg
    20200728_144327.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200728_144421.jpg
    20200728_144421.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 89

Richard Smith

Reaction score
Tricker's do sell Shoe Trees, but for what it is worth I don't think they are best fitting for the 4444 Last on which your 'Henry' is built.....it being generous fitting and all. Tricker's Trees are a 'one piece forefoot' that fits their 'City' shoes well. For me, a Shoe Tree to do its best work needs to fill the boot as close as possible, maintaining original shape, so I prefer the sprung loaded 'split forefoot' Trees in Cedar Wood, especially for the more generous fitting shoe or boot :)

Last edited:

Reaction score
Tricker's do sell Shoe Trees, but for what it is worth I don't think they are best fitting for the 4444 Last on which your 'Henry' is built.....it being generous fitting and all. Tricker's Trees are a 'one piece forefoot' that fits their 'City' shoes well. For me, a Shoe Tree to do its best work needs to fill the boot as close as possible, maintaining original shape, so I prefer the sprung loaded 'split forefoot' Trees in Cedar Wood, especially for the more generous fitting shoe or boot :)
Thanks for the response.
Where do you pick your split forefoot trees up?
And what kind of tree would you use for a boot on the 4497s last?

dancing_coala

Reaction score
agree with @Richard Smith , it's better to choose a shoe-tree that repeats the shape as close as possible
i've had original trickers shoe-trees with my bourtons(4444 last) they weren't fitting very tightly, then i've put some other cedar shoe-trees, they were bigger and they have slightly stretched the shoes making it more roomier widthwise
i don't think it's supposed to be like that but actually it was what i wanted

dancing_coala

Reaction score
Well, these are an absolute delight. Wonderfully packaged, fit like a glove, beautiful color, and I don't think they could have gotten here any faster. I ordered on Friday, they shipped on Monday, here today.

I love them!
is it just me or they look not so chunky as usual, rather sleek and elegant
maybe it's the size, looks like ~11uk ?

VegasRebel

Reaction score
is it just me or they look not so chunky as usual, rather sleek and elegant
maybe it's the size, looks like ~11uk ?

Possibly - they're 12UK/13US. They're a very substantial boot - quite heavy, but in a good way. Here's a comparison with an AE Warwick Monk, 13 US, which they fairly dwarf. That said, under pants (or jeans, anyway) I find them quite sleek and elegant as you say.

Attachments

• 20200729_111250.jpg
    20200729_111250.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 86

Richard Smith

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.
Where do you pick your split forefoot trees up?
And what kind of tree would you use for a boot on the 4497s last?
I keep them in stock, and as they have quite a large width and length adjustment, are suitable for most Lasts, including 4444 and 4497s.

Richard Smith

Reaction score
agree with @Richard Smith , it's better to choose a shoe-tree that repeats the shape as close as possible
i've had original trickers shoe-trees with my bourtons(4444 last) they weren't fitting very tightly, then i've put some other cedar shoe-trees, they were bigger and they have slightly stretched the shoes making it more roomier widthwise
i don't think it's supposed to be like that but actually it was what i wanted
The cedar trees I keep have a centre screw for width adjustment, so it can be closed up or let out whichever fits best :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads