1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Sep 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Steve7

Steve7 Active Member

And these, after treatment... Trickers Logger boots with full grain black Cheyenne leather, freshly treated with Saphir (so a bit waxy and the flash hasn't helped)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MSAINT

MSAINT Senior member

Very nice collection Steve7. [​IMG]
    You don't use shoe trees though, do you? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  3. Steve7

Steve7 Active Member

Expanding my collection slowly...

On rotation. Interestingly, David at the Trickers factory shop says they are a waste of money! They don't match anyones' feet and you can get the same result using cheap rubbish and packing the foot.

They do stop the curl up of the toe, mind you.

Bit of a rushed picture... some need a clean and a more sympathetic shot! The Espresso Burfords are lost in that shot yet look stunning alone!

4. mothball

mothball Senior member

Great collection. That champagne waxed suede is gorgeous!

5. MSAINT

MSAINT Senior member

Well that's something... Shoe trees in raw wood help drying the inside of the shoe while keeping the shoe leather in tension so it does not age prematurely and wrinkle too fast (the best, of course would be to have the matching last/shape shoe tree but the price in this scenario is stratospheric).

I can understand that some people don't use shoe trees as they like their shoes to look rugged and with some heavy, let's say, character.
    David certainly does as well as Richard (The Shoe Healer) when I discussed about that with him years ago or one of the sellers in Alden SF I talked with about that too (this guy was wearing some amazing 10 years old cordovan chukkas) but some guys told me you need at least a raw wood shoe trees (C&J, Heschung, Carmina and Weston crews Paris and London) some other will go further and say that when possible you have to get the matching shoes trees with the exact last of your shoes (I've been told at Loob in Paris and at Vass in Budapest). It's a funny subject to bring in every decent shoe store, just for the records!

For me the raw wood shoes trees worth every penny (And it's very easy to find good enough wooden shoe trees at a very low price in France), some of my Tricker's boots are 7 years old and besides the sole it's hard to tell as they all have shoe trees and get Saphir cream on regular basis (once a month) but I also have to admit that I'm sort of "anal" with tat as even my 2 pairs of Ipath sneakers have their own shoe trees!

Anyways, sorry if I'm not clear, I'm French so I'm not sure my English is accurate here... Just be assured that there was no judgment what so ever as I'm a true believer of the "I don't give a rat's ass of what other people think about me, what I wear, think or how I dress" philosophy! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Steve7

Steve7 Active Member

votre anglais est vachement superb

For the record.... I want to get enough shoe trees to cover my collection. Now, I use them on the most recently worn. I buy from a "fine pair of shoes" who do raw cedar for £25 (were £20, should have got more).

Obviously, 9 or so pairs of shoes is a big hit all at once, so I'll get there.

If anyone knows of where I can get 5 or more pairs somewhere, for a great price (bulk buy) please let me know!

7. MSAINT

MSAINT Senior member

Holly caw Steve, you know "vachement"? Merci pour le compliment en tous cas! [​IMG]
    Here's where I buy my shoe trees (except I go to the brick and mortar store in Bastille): http://www.bexley.fr/Bexley/chaussure-Embauchoirs-ACCPRD-FR.htm (it's even very very cheaper during sales!)
    The quality is good but as all good psycho I rework them with sandpaper to make them smoother, with rounder tops (all my boots have round tops) and blend all angles to avoid any scratching risk once on the boot.

8. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Mate, there's nothing fancy about these but this model serves me well for all my shoes and boots and it won't break the bank.

I've had a similar conversation with Richard regarding the use of trees, specifically in relation to Tricker's boots. I use them anyway as I tend to wear my boots very hard and they need all the support they can get!

I can understand why some of the top label shoemakers would encourage you only to use lasted trees - but only because they're an additional source of revenue for them...bit like some makers of proprietary brands of leather conditioners spinning unsubstantiated warnings of woe-to-come when non-branded (and therefore cheaper) waxes or oils are used on leather...

9. marcl

marcl Member

Hi Steve7,

Would you mind telling me how The Sanders (McNairy's) compare to your Trickers? I have just bought a pair of Sanders but have never owned a pair of Trickers. I am very curious to know.

Thanks,

Marc.

10. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

11. Steve7

Steve7 Active Member

Cleaning them, I noticed the tongue had much more flimsy and less generous leather.
    They don't feel as solidly built, but are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn out of the box.

I think they'd be high on my every day wear list just for that. I can't see them going through several re soles, though, as I could the Trickers. That said, most of my Trickers need some breaking in yet!

Francais...? il n' y a aucun d'homme comme moi, mon ami.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  12. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

I believe that a pair of Ilkelys are in my future ...

13. djwoblely

djwoblely Senior member

Steve7,
    Could you do some solo picks of those Champagne stows. Thems are gettin me bothered

14. Steve7

Steve7 Active Member

I'd be glad to - looking at that pic of them all I don't think it does any of them justice... muddle of colour and rushed.

They are without laces as they had just been cleaned with Saphir suede liquid... I was going to post a pic of one with brown laces and one with grey as I'm not sure which option I prefer. I'll get on to it... sunning myself at Trent Bridge today watching the England!

15. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Don't get burnt!

16. MSAINT

MSAINT Senior member

New week, new boots! [​IMG]

Tricker's Stow in lolipop calf... They come from reTricker and their defect is an uneven coloration witch is a good thing considering the treatment I was preparing for them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well like on my Rippon I find the lolipop a bit too red but I also find it to be the perfect base to transform it in oxblood with shades... So I work for a few hours with a paintbrush with Saphir black and cotton canvas / polish brush with Sphir mahogany. I protected the sole with painter's tape and after two coatings and details I'm pretty happy! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some clickable before and after pictures :

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

And here are my two oxblood boots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2012
    3 people like this.
  17. ducky

ducky Senior member

I hate you :happy:

General question : when I darken a little bit the vamp with cream (Surfine Pommadier), i always get the original color back because of the creases.

Do you have such an issue ? Do you color that area with a lighter color to minimize the contrast between the leather color and the creme color, or do you actually succeed to darken in depth the leather?

18. MSAINT

MSAINT Senior member

So does my banker...:slayer:
    I manage to darken the whole thing.
    I usually apply the darker color with a flat paintbrush (when the darkening is localized) let it dry then coat the whole boot with the base color and again with the dark créme (with a cotton cloth) and then, again the base (cotton cloth but avoiding the area I want to stay dark). With the Saphir surfine it's all about patina and coating as it's not paint (although they mix and keep transparency like water-paint (aquarelle))

Nom de Zeus! C'pas facile à expliquer en anglais! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  19. MSAINT

MSAINT Senior member

A more accurate rendering (but a crappy picture) of the actual color and patina (it's reddish under the sun thanks to the lolipop base and more brownish on the shade thanks to the mahogany like in the previous picture).

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  20. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

Nom de Dieu - beautiful stuff mec!..