• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Phoenician

Reaction score
Good taste, I've just pulled the trigger on the same pair. Figure be good to have something slightly less conspicuous than my Acorn Antique Stows!

Nice! I love how the Stow boots come in so many different flavors, something for everyone, and if buying multiples, different colors and textures depending on your mood and clothes. I just hope they fit me; I'm a US 12 and I've read conflicting reports between Tricker's sizing chart (which itself seems to cause confusion) and owners actual fit. I guess worse case scenario is I could return them or sell them to someone at the price we got them for, which is a screaming deal no matter what.

princealbert

Reaction score
How does the 5402R last fit? I wear a size 6 in both the 4444 and 4497, and have tried a 6.5 in the 4497 but was swimming. Also of potential help, I wear a 6.5 in Carmina Rain and Forest, and 6 in Cheaney 125.

I don’t have any experience of the 5402 last, however if as I suspect you are considering the monkey boot I believe it fits fairly true to size but a little smaller than the 4497.As ever there is no way to be certain without trying on the shoe but I’m fairly confident that you would want 1/2 a size larger than the one you would choose for the 4444 last.

noverbeck

Reaction score
I don’t have any experience of the 5402 last, however if as I suspect you are considering the monkey boot I believe it fits fairly true to size but a little smaller than the 4497.As ever there is no way to be certain without trying on the shoe but I’m fairly confident that you would want 1/2 a size larger than the one you would choose for the 4444 last.
I am indeed considering the monkey boot with commando sole! I think a 6.5UK may be best for me then, thank you.

They do have the 6.5 UK in black, gold and brown, but unfortunately with the Vibram sole, which I do not care for. Really is unfortunate. I guess I could have them resole it to leather or Dainite. Does anyone recommend any cobblers in the USA or would it be best to have Tricker's do this themselves.

Alternatively, does anyone know where any monkey boots are for sale without Vibram sole?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah the 5402 fits snugger than 4497 but I'd still go with the same size.

No personal experience but B Nelson in NYC is recommended a lot. The owner, nick something, is a member and there's a B Nelson thread on classic menswear. Also Aram at https://www.ahoneshoes.com/ gets favorable comments on the Alden thread.

Maybe give the white soles a chance. I didn't like them at first but have grown to like them.

Edit: Looks like Aram has 20% off gc for refurb services.

Last edited:

princealbert

Reaction score
Hi folks- I’m trying to buy a stow boot in museum calf, 11.5 UK w/rubber sole. I’m having some difficulty finding a pair. Does anyone know of a shop that might stock these and have them for sale?
Probably not much help but cho.co.uk have a pair in uk size 11.

nikolau

Reaction score
Yeah the 5402 fits snugger than 4497 but I'd still go with the same size.

No personal experience but B Nelson in NYC is recommended a lot. The owner, nick something, is a member and there's a B Nelson thread on classic menswear. Also Aram at https://www.ahoneshoes.com/ gets favorable comments on the Alden thread.

Maybe give the white soles a chance. I didn't like them at first but have grown to like them.

Edit: Looks like Aram has 20% off gc for refurb services.

Personally I’m not a huge fan of B-Nelson because they’re such a large operation, QC issues just happen. I really prefer using cobblers like Jim McFarland in Lakeland Florida- silver cup winners who personally repair (and guarantee the craftsmanship of) your shoes.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A style question (!) Do you think it is reasonable to wear my Boughtons ( bright red, mid green, Kudu and navy blue ones), with Levi's, in the summer, in the UK? Kind regards, Munky

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I’m a US 13 so I can’t size down 2 sizes. But I really appreciate your help.

You said you were looking for an 11.5UK Stow. An 11UK Bourton will be about the same. If you're 13US you should probably be looking for 12UK Stows.

Kiwijohn

Reaction score
Cheers to our friend from Cumbria for his craftiness in sharing this sale! I’ve been watching...waiting....stalking...this pair of Stow boots for three months plus now, thinking there may be a sale at some point. At 196 GBP, not sure I’ll find a better boot in suede and grabbed them right away. Love the gray suede (Winter Smoke Repello, they call it), with black laces and welt. Subdued, but still classy. Now, being my first pair of Stows, I just hope they fit! ??
Thanks again for being crafty and hope everyone is able to find the shoe or boot they need in their size during the sale
Cheers!
Douglas View attachment 1392843 View attachment 1392844
Nice!. A pair of suede Stows is definitely on my radar in the near future. Just have to sell a pair of Doc Martens though to justify another pair. Not parting with any Trickers though.

nikolau

Reaction score
You said you were looking for an 11.5UK Stow. An 11UK Bourton will be about the same. If you're 13US you should probably be looking for 12UK Stows.

Tricker’s size conversions seem to be rather unusual. It looks as though an 11.5 is a us 13 (EU 46/46.5). Also, my understanding is the last is relatively wide. Let me know what you think.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Tricker’s size conversions seem to be rather unusual. It looks as though an 11.5 is a us 13 (EU 46/46.5). Also, my understanding is the last is relatively wide. Let me know what you think.
Only size down 1.5 where the last is 4444 (usually Bourton) as the Stow fits true to UK size (one down from USA). That’s why Zippy suggested the Bourton.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads