• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Metrosey

Reaction score
Wish I'd got in on the MTO - if anyone has a size 10 that they've changed their mind about do let me know.

What's the best product to use to treat a pair of calf leather Stows that will be used exclusively in wet weather? Until now I've used some Salmon goretex XA Pro trainers which are ugly but effective - is it possible to use the Stows and keep them in good condition?
I won't be able to provide you the best/most accurate answer as I'm like a GYW Junior, however, I'd look at Saphir Wax. Anything with Beeswax will help with water resistance while meaning natural. I'd recommend the Pate de Luxe for increasing rain resistance as it won't taint the colour. Personally, I use the Pate de Luxe for the Acorn Stows, it was recommended by Mr MSAINT (this was for light rain). It doesn't alter the colour from what I've seen.

This is another solution. It is used by MrJamesCoat for suede (can be used on smooth leather).

Outside of that, I've seen recommendations for Nikwax, although I'd expect this to darken the leather.

Please get another recommendation though before buying anything, at least this gives you somewhere to start.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish I'd got in on the MTO - if anyone has a size 10 that they've changed their mind about do let me know.

What's the best product to use to treat a pair of calf leather Stows that will be used exclusively in wet weather? Until now I've used some Salmon goretex XA Pro trainers which are ugly but effective - is it possible to use the Stows and keep them in good condition?
probably just some decent wax polish and keeping them clean after use in harsh conditions.

They won’t be as effective as a pair of gore tex boots but can probably handle some abuse.

There are other options such a Obenaufs HDLP but this might spoil the look of the leather.

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
Bit of a frost in Belfast this morning . Great excuse to wear , though none really needed , my Grassmere in conjunction with my old Burberrys Irish tweed balmacaan overcoat . Trickers go so well with this type of coat , both aesthetically and functionally .
E7C9C59B-4D3D-46D8-911F-740BBD8714F2.jpeg
C96444B4-10A9-48EE-ABF9-EAF10239D491.jpeg

Last edited:

Metrosey

Reaction score
I asked Richard about the Waxy Commander colours and he said that they did a Snuff and Black, however he said they were discontinued long ago. He shall find out for us tomorrow. I’ve got a picture of Snuff below. It doesn’t seem anything like Waxy Commander Cuba Waxy.

Attachments

Crafty Cumbrian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked Richard about the Waxy Commander colours and he said that they did a Snuff and Black, however he said they were discontinued long ago. He shall find out for us tomorrow. I’ve got a picture of Snuff below. It doesn’t seem anything like Waxy Commander Cuba Waxy.
They made a black waxy boot I put a pic of on this last week. A monkey boot.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40