• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Thanks. I pondered and pondered and decided to go with a 40, on the theory that if the coat is sized 38-40, having a liner on the larger side will give me more room to layer underneath. But we'll see...can always return and exchange.

sinnottj

Reaction score
^^Thanks. I pondered and pondered and decided to go with a 40, on the theory that if the coat is sized 38-40, having a liner on the larger side will give me more room to layer underneath. But we'll see...can always return and exchange.

:) I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you. The 38" fits inside perfectly when you zip it in, but 'pulls' slightly when the jacket is worn done up, like it's just a bit too small. Maybe the 40" would actually be better ...

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:) I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you. The 38" fits inside perfectly when you zip it in, but 'pulls' slightly when the jacket is worn done up, like it's just a bit too small. Maybe the 40" would actually be better ...
Will let you know. I wound up going with a Bristol (the fitted version of the Beaufort; the same way the Ashby is a fitted Bedale) because i think I can pull it off with a suit (got the navy version, should be long enough to cover the jacket) as well as casual. but the sizing is the same. We've had such crappy weather here this week that I went in whole hog for the coat, the liner and the hood...

Plough Jockey

Reaction score
I'm going to re-wax my Beaufort to even it up a bit. I usually just use on old t-shirt, but am wondering if there is an application sponge or something else that is better?

added a pic for interest.
View attachment 1277844
I haven't tried a sponge, I imagine a lot of wax would stay in the sponge. I use a piece torn from an old cotton sheet or pillow case and wrap it around my index and middle finger then hold the end with my thumb.

Moorland has arrived from ebay,£38 incl. P&P, I love the big rear pocket, new home for a vice grips! I managed to fit three Fleetguard (tractor) engine oil filters in there this week too.

The first day that I wore it my arse felt the cold, but the shorter length is generally much better for working in than the gamefair. It's less likely to get caught hopping in and out of tractors. It will need a wax soon as well so will take a photo after that. I think that brings the tally to 8:eek: which includes a classic Northumbria now being used for spares/patch donor.

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is the ashby less in favor these days? i don't understand why the ashby color selections are so much worse than the other mainline.
when are they going to come with sage?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried a sponge, I imagine a lot of wax would stay in the sponge. I use a piece torn from an old cotton sheet or pillow case and wrap it around my index and middle finger then hold the end with my thumb.

Moorland has arrived from ebay,£38 incl. P&P, I love the big rear pocket, new home for a vice grips! I managed to fit three Fleetguard (tractor) engine oil filters in there this week too.

The first day that I wore it my arse felt the cold, but the shorter length is generally much better for working in than the gamefair. It's less likely to get caught hopping in and out of tractors. It will need a wax soon as well so will take a photo after that. I think that brings the tally to 8:eek: which includes a classic Northumbria now being used for spares/patch donor.

I use a sponge

blue peter

Reaction score
73036081_807690469653031_4945691054919483262_n(1).jpg

74602337_276107046617286_92179005960440109_n.jpg

71698521_3862760657083060_2924286587449432897_n.jpg

Barbour + Engineered Garments Highland Parka

72722527_571914453573871_438314063270262868_n.jpg

Bedale

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I could really do with some advice from you all on this thread.

I currently have a Barbour Bedale Classic in a 36/Small. I’ve had it for a couple of years but it really is too big for me and has more room than I would like. I generally like things fitted and in heindsight I should probably have sized down (but bought online, so wasn’t sure about the sizing).

I’m in the process of selling it and would like to get another Barbour that fits better. I usually wear size small in most brands but I am probably on the small side of small.

My options are to either purchase an Ashby in and XS or to purchase another Bedale but in a smaller size. What put’s me off with the Ashby is the sleeves and the length. I’m approx 5’8 and don’t really want to roll the cuffs and like the storm cuffs on the Bedale better. Also, I like the fact that the Bedale is Made in England and feel like I’m taking a step down in terms of quality going from a Bedale.

Anyway, if I was to purchase another Bedale and would like it to fit as close to an Ashby in XS as possible, should I go for a 34 or a 32??

I’ve emailed and tried to reach out to Cox The Saddler over the last few weeks several times for advice and measurements but have received no response from them, so I’m hoping if I do order from them that their Customer Service is a little better than I’ve experience so far, which is ZERO.

Well, any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi Guys, could really do with some advice from you.

I currently have a Barbour Bedale Classic in a 36/Small. I’ve had it for a couple of years but it really is too big for me and has more room than I would like. I generally like things fitted and in heindsight I should probably have sized down (but bought online, so wasn’t sure about the sizing).

I’m in the process of selling it and would like to get another Barbour that fits better. I usually wear size small in most brands but I am probably on the small side of small.

My options are to either purchase an Ashby in and XS or to purchase another Bedale but in a smaller size. What put’s me off with the Ashby is the sleeves and the length. I’m approx 5’8 and don’t really want to roll the cuffs and like the storm cuffs on the Bedale better. Also, I like the fact that the Bedale is Made in England and feel like I’m taking a step down in terms of quality going from a Bedale.

Anyway, if I was to purchase another Bedale and would like it to fit as close to an Ashby in XS as possible, should I go for a 34 or a 32??

I’ve emailed and tried to reach out to Cox The Saddler over the last few weeks several times for advice and measurements but have received no response from them, so I’m hoping if I do order from them that their Customer Service is a little better than I’ve experience so far, which is ZERO.

Well, any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

conqueror

Reaction score
just came back from tokyo and interestingly barbour is everywhere now - both in terms of physical stores and dudes wearing it. don't recall seeing any of it really during my last trip 5 years ago.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just came back from tokyo and interestingly barbour is everywhere now - both in terms of physical stores and dudes wearing it. don't recall seeing any of it really during my last trip 5 years ago.

Japan is big on Barbour currently. Like really big.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Barbour in Japan peeps. Some interesting looks.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shall I sell a kidney for this? £500
72E9730F-B8A5-45FE-8F7A-32B7C821DBF7.jpeg
F6789B3D-EF01-4E82-9891-8AD0155E860E.jpeg
A2D33B3F-D0EB-448C-91D6-CADA92A5E743.jpeg
C51986D8-5C1F-4CAD-B727-39661222191B.jpeg

stijn

Reaction score
I found out recently that the tags which say 'SMU' or 'RETAIL' are specifically made for Barbour outlets.
Reading up on this thread as I'm looking for another Barbour jacket. I have also been thinking about looking at smaller english manufacturers.

Concerning SMU, this is what barbour told me 6y ago (dug up an old email)

"This jacket was only manufactured specifically for our Retail Stores. The “SMU” at the beginning of the product description refers to “Special Manufacture “ and we use it to identify jackets made especially for Retail. The jackets are made if we have excess fabric left over from a Production run of jackets. They will not be remade again."

I like that they won't be remade and are limited.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads