• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s very kind of you!

Let me check first to see if they will ship to me. If they take of the VAT, that would cover shipping costs.

Shipping that coat would cost £18.50 to the US.

EdoubleD

Reaction score
That’s very kind of you!

Let me check first to see if they will ship to me. If they take off the VAT, that would cover shipping costs.
Yet me know ASAP, as I planned to post them back in the next few days

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it worth getting a liner for the Ashby? And if so, which one? Thanks!

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it worth getting a liner for the Ashby? And if so, which one? Thanks!

I planned to get one when I first got my Ashby but haven't bothered.

I tend to find it ok with some layers if necessary although it rarely gets seriously cold in the UK

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I planned to get one when I first got my Ashby but haven't bothered.

I tend to find it ok with some layers if necessary although it rarely gets seriously cold in the UK

I agree. I honestly only have one liner and that's in my International. I don't see the need to get one, as a good jumper is just as warm to me. The only time when I'm outside for long enough is when I'm in London during the winter months and because we're walking around and going in and out of buildings I find the bulk too much, so I just wear a jumper with my Beaufort over the top.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I honestly only have one liner and that's in my International. I don't see the need to get one, as a good jumper is just as warm to me. The only time when I'm outside for long enough is when I'm in London during the winter months and because we're walking around and going in and out of buildings I find the bulk too much, so I just wear a jumper with my Beaufort over the top.

When I got my Ashby I was of the opinion that it was quite thin so would definitely need one but I've never really felt the need in practice.

I do have warmer modern coats also but I find the Ashby adequate most of the time.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I got my Ashby I was of the opinion that it was quite thin so would definitely need one but I've never really felt the need in practice.

I do have warmer modern coats also but I find the Ashby adequate most of the time.

I haven't had the regular version, just my Pantone Ashby that I can break out again soon. Is the body padded or is it standard lining & wax shell like the rest of the Classic range?

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had the regular version, just my Pantone Ashby that I can break out again soon. Is the body padded or is it standard lining & wax shell like the rest of the Classic range?

Just the lining and the shell.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's interesting. Looks like Pantone beefed up the Ashby.
I'm still head over heels with this colour.
8240ab9a-7d0c-4fb7-b779-cc78f0010018.jpeg

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oh I hadn’t realized there was no insulation. The Sapper has a very thin quilted lining, but it makes it surprisingly warm for its weight.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I hadn’t realized there was no insulation. The Sapper has a very thin quilted lining, but it makes it surprisingly warm for its weight.

I'm sure Barbour make it that way so you are more inclined to buy the liner as well.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of lining:

I read that it zips in, yet the site suggests sizing down for the Ashby. This got me wondering about how it attaches. I was imagining it would be sort of like an M65 jacket liner that has multiple fastening points and effectively becomes part of the jacket. Is this the case or is it more of a separate vest? Hope that makes sense!

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of lining:

I read that it zips in, yet the site suggests sizing down for the Ashby. This got me wondering about how it attaches. I was imagining it would be sort of like an M65 jacket liner that has multiple fastening points and effectively becomes part of the jacket. Is this the case or is it more of a separate vest? Hope that makes sense!

Separate vest that zips in on rails.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And now I think I might have come full circle. I took some pics of the sapper to list it for sale and now I’m thinking maybe I should just keep it instead of changing it for something else. There is an Orvis store not too far from me, I think I’ll drop-by and eyeball some of the other models to be able to make a better comparison. And since this is a picture thread:
1D81CD3D-230B-4FDA-87C4-6CBD18C9C21F.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads