• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My classic Beaufort arrived this morning, pretty much mint condition, so bargin in my eyes and made in England ☺️. The last Beaufort I had I made the mistake of selling on, definitely going to hang on to this, although the Bristol is more fitted there’s jsut something more appealing to the Beaufort

I'm wearing my Beaufort today. I think its Barbour's best looking jacket they've made. The length is perfect, the rear pocket is so handy and the looseness is just right.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These essential zips make great scarves.
8ED536D7-64F3-4A48-85EA-650FB36778D0.jpeg

exbarbour

Reaction score
One broad way to age vintage Barbour is by the number of Royal Warrants on the tag.Barbour received their 1st Royal Warrant in 1974, second in 84, third in 87.

I have an old International a Suit with one warrant on the tag, dating it somewhere between 74 and 84.

View attachment 1132806
Hi, Some of you may be interested in this brief correspondence I had with Barbour in the UK this morning, explaining why I am no longer one of their loyal customers. And I quote:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for sending your jacket into our Repairs & Reproofing team.

Your jacket has been inspected by the team and unfortunately due to the wear and condition of the jacket we are sorry to advise that we are unable to support your request.

We do offer a repair service, but unfortunately we do not offer a restorative service.

We are sorry that we are unable to assist you and we will arrange to return your jacket to you via our courier DPD.

Kind regards"

and my reply:

"Good morning,

I've sent you jackets in a similar state on previous occasions, and was hoping to set a twenty-year record with this one!

The fact that your "Repairs" web page is now far more difficult to find than it used to be (I had to use a VPN service that gave me a UK IP address in order to access it) makes me think that you've lost interest in this service.

I admit that it is a little labour-intensive for the 21st century, but I'm disappointed in your going over to the Dark Side like this, and embracing built-in obsolescence.

This means that I will now do what everyone else does: go to a shop every year or two and buy a "disposable" item made in some developing-world sweatshop. Pity. That's one loyal customer (and hitherto proud owner of three Barbour jackets) you've just lost.

But yes, if you'd like to return the jacket to me, I would be grateful. Please advise me of the cost and I will get my credit card details to you accordingly."

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, Some of you may be interested in this brief correspondence I had with Barbour in the UK this morning, explaining why I am no longer one of their loyal customers. And I quote:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for sending your jacket into our Repairs & Reproofing team.

Your jacket has been inspected by the team and unfortunately due to the wear and condition of the jacket we are sorry to advise that we are unable to support your request.

We do offer a repair service, but unfortunately we do not offer a restorative service.

We are sorry that we are unable to assist you and we will arrange to return your jacket to you via our courier DPD.

Kind regards"

and my reply:

"Good morning,

I've sent you jackets in a similar state on previous occasions, and was hoping to set a twenty-year record with this one!

The fact that your "Repairs" web page is now far more difficult to find than it used to be (I had to use a VPN service that gave me a UK IP address in order to access it) makes me think that you've lost interest in this service.

I admit that it is a little labour-intensive for the 21st century, but I'm disappointed in your going over to the Dark Side like this, and embracing built-in obsolescence.

This means that I will now do what everyone else does: go to a shop every year or two and buy a "disposable" item made in some developing-world sweatshop. Pity. That's one loyal customer (and hitherto proud owner of three Barbour jackets) you've just lost.

But yes, if you'd like to return the jacket to me, I would be grateful. Please advise me of the cost and I will get my credit card details to you accordingly."

Oh shut up. Not exactly a loyal customer with 3 jackets, mate. Did you make this account just to post this message? Please refrain from dragging the Barbour name through the dirt because they couldn’t fix a jacket.

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
This sounds like some baby boomer bullshit

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve had a Sapper jacket for four years that I’ve really loved. I get a kick out of rewaxing it each year before winter. However, it’s a tad short for me and the funnel collar drives me nuts - will not sit flat.

I’m thinking about replacing it with a Bedale, Ashby or Beaufort. Wondering how do these lengths compare to the Sapper?

Last edited:

EdoubleD

Reaction score
I’ve had a Sapper jacket for four years that I’ve really loved. I get a kick out of rewarding it each year before winter. However, it’s a tad short for me and the funnel collar drives me nuts - will not sit flat.

I’m thinking about replacing it with a Bedale, Ashby or Beaufort. Wondering how do these lengths compare to the Sapper?

I have the sapper and love it! I wear it the most, I do always where the collar up.

Beaufort is defo longer, and I think the bedale/Ashby would also be slightly longer as well (but shorter than the Beaufort) I have the Beaufort, Ashby and sapper so will compare lengths later and yet you know for sure, unless anyone else knows?

Edit:you could look in the website, they say the back length in the description (if not the Barbour site then try others)

Edit for back length:
Beaufort size 40 - 31.5”
Sapper size larger - 30”
Ashby size large - 30”

Note my Beaufort is size 40 which I think is a medium realy, so a large Beaufort may be longer (comparing the jackets in the same size)

Last edited:

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks!

I’m leaning towards the Beaufort now (or Moorland, but can’t find much info on that one). I’m going to swing by Orvis to check it out sometime and then try to grab one on ebay over the summer.

Still reluctant to part with the Sapper until I’m sure the new jacket is better.

EdoubleD

Reaction score
Thanks!

I’m leaning towards the Beaufort now (or Moorland, but can’t find much info on that one). I’m going to swing by Orvis to check it out sometime and then try to grab one on ebay over the summer.

Still reluctant to part with the Sapper until I’m sure the new jacket is better.

I’ve got both Beaufor and sapper, I don’t think I choose between either one if I had to. For me they both have there place.

The Beaufort is defo longer (I sized down from a large sapper to 40 Beaufort ((large sapper is 42)).

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For me they both have there place.

Interesting. Are they that different? I’m guessing the Beaufort is more ‘outdoorsy’ while the sapper can be kept on indoors and in the car if it’s not too warm. Is that right?

EdoubleD

Reaction score
Interesting. Are they that different? I’m guessing the Beaufort is more ‘outdoorsy’ while the sapper can be kept on indoors and in the car if it’s not too warm. Is that right?

I would say the Beaufort is more traditional country Barbour (obv can be worn anywhere) and the sapper would be more of a city/town coat. Beafout has hand warmer pockets and pounces pocket. Zip pockets in both.

The sapper is a milatry inspired coat, 4 pockets on the front, zipped pockets, and slightly tailored fit

The Beaufort is more classic fit with a sit down collar, zipped/pochers pocket

Just my opinion I love them both. I’ll try and take some pictures of them next to each other later on.

Hope that’s been of use

SnakeDoctor

Reaction score
Oh shut up. Not exactly a loyal customer with 3 jackets, mate. Did you make this account just to post this message? Please refrain from dragging the Barbour name through the dirt because they couldn’t fix a jacket.

How many Barbour jackets does it take, owned over the course of decades, to become a loyal customer?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many Barbour jackets does it take, owned over the course of decades, to become a loyal customer?

How long is a piece of string? All I’m saying is that guy was claiming to be a loyal customer but only buying 3 in 20 years seems a bit **** to me.
One thing goes wrong and he throws his toys out of the pram. Not very loyal to me.

Fuzzbox

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if I could get an ID on this jacket? I'm not sure if it's maybe the Bedale or the Beaufort in navy, on the guy in the middle. Thanks!
foals (590x380).jpg
foals.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads